test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which names are prohibited and words are censored?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    USS Wuhan, oh wait, this isn't Twitter or Facebook. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    scottie270182#2421 scottie270182 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    You gave the very reason the name was restricted in your post.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Monitor

Virginia and Merrimack aren't restricted because there isn't any ship with the name of the former in Star Trek, and the latter also doesn't exist - but the Merrimac DOES exist, so that spelling of the name is probably restricted too.​​
    Actually, I ended up naming the ship Merrimac due to TNG using that spelling, so that can't be the reason.

"..to boldly go where no one has gone before."
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    You gave the very reason the name was restricted in your post.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Monitor

Virginia and Merrimack aren't restricted because there isn't any ship with the name of the former in Star Trek, and the latter also doesn't exist - but the Merrimac DOES exist, so that spelling of the name is probably restricted too.​​
    Actually, I ended up naming the ship Merrimac due to TNG using that spelling, so that can't be the reason.

IIRC if there's a ship of that name as an NPC it will be denied as player named ship.
    Post edited by spiritborn on
  • Options
    relicthiefrelicthief Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think in general it is established characters and ships, especially hero level. Can't even name a ship Titan. I had a friend who used to play who didn't like the fact that Titan was not usable. Eventually he settled for Leviathan.

The only hero ship name that hasn't been blocked is Discovery. Mostly because the game had been out for years before DSC came out.

And easy solution is to go with the USS Tighten.
    Ancient Alien.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    spiritborn wrote: »
    IIRC if there's a ship of that name as an NPC it will be denied as player named ship.

Not entirely accurate. I've got a couple ships named Challenger, and that was before LaForge's ship was brought in.
    relicthief wrote: »
    And easy solution is to go with the USS Tighten.

He wanted the name of his ship to be of the theme of "big". After a while I suggested Leviathan because he was running around with the Tittan because he couldn't have Titan. Anyways that was years ago and he doesn't play now. Honestly I'm probably one of the few that still gets on anymore.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.