test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mudd's Into Darkness and Beyond Choice Pack

darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,686 Community Moderator
Our favorite Harcourt Fenton Mudd is at it again and this time securing goods from other universes.

Mudd is opening the doors on a new Choice Pack on June 10th, this one from the Kelvin Timeline! Purchase the Mudd's Into Darkness and Beyond Choice Pack for 29500 Zen, and choose any three of the above options! But that's not all - this pack will be 50% off from 6/10 @ 8am PT (17:00 CEST) - 6/24 @ 10am PT (19:00 CEST). Choose from the following options:

Vengeance Intel Dreadnought
Kelvin Heavy Destroyer/D7 Heavy Destroyer Pack
Kelvin T’Laru/D4x/Constitution Pack
Vulcan Experimental Scout Vessel
2 pack T6 Ship Coupons
9 pack T6x Tokens
1 Elite Phoenix Token
50 Key Pack

In addition, everything else in Mudd's Market (except the other three bundles) will be on sale for 75% off from 6/10 at 8am PT (17:00 CEST) - 6/14 at 10am PT (19:00 CEST)!

More information in the blog here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11489213-mudd's-into-darkness-and-beyond-choice-pack!
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Having all ships of each possible pack is an interesting addition and makes the $150 price slightly more justifiable if you choose at least one of the two Kelvin packs.

I strongly advise against choosing the Vengeance.

It's not about its performances as it's actually very good, but considering it's a lobi ship, one of the most popular, unlikely to disappear from the exchange and also unlikely to go beyond 250-300M EC, I think a better deal overall would be to save EC on other characters and get it that way.
    In contrast, the others are either around 1.5b EC or simply not present in the exchange, especially the Jellyfish-XL.

Of note, from having tested all of them on Tribble, if you're interested to know some trivia:

-The Jellyfish-XL (yes, I call it XL, because it's bigger than the canon version, about the size of the Defiant-class) is a very angry scout ship with the whole scout ship package (the useless sci ship targeting system, the sensor analysis, the basic raider flanking) plus pilot maneuvers and it comes with a unique quad-torpedo launcher that is nice for fans of MORE DAKKA and not bad at all performance-wise (slightly better than the Kelvin/Altamid torp launcher). The console is OK, but that's it, basically a fancier GW. The ship itself is also great to look at, the textures are gorgeous, and the whole ship is completely animated like in the movie. It also has a lieutenant universal/miracle worker station, so you can have a few more useful abilities. Only bad thing is it has the generic, ugly bridge.

-The D4x still has the best animated wings and while fragile, due to being a raider, it's still solid perf-wise and the bridge is very lovely, looking like a Kelvin Timeline version of the Klingon bridge from The Motion Picture. The console is nothing fancy, though.

-The T'laru is not the best-looking Romulan ship as many know already, but it has a unique bridge that looks more TOS-looking than KT-looking, but still gorgeous, the console is great due to having a scaling cooldown, so it works best used in "burst" activations. It also has unique pets (KT Scorpion fighters) and can equip the Scimitar Drone ships and you know how good those are.

-The Command Konnie was OK when it was first released, but with the recent improvements of Command abilities, it's more useful now. The console is great as an escape button or if you need your dread/carrier/beached whale to reach a location fast or rapidly turn around.

-The Kelvin has a pretty nice console for survivability and it has animated turrets that appear when you use its experimental weapon. It also looks gorgeous with the various Kelvin hull materials and has access to all the default fed ones as well, especially the new Vengeance one.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • piroteuspiroteus Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Another Mudds pack so soon? well boys and girls and others time to spend all your ZEN the lights are about to go out.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,686 Community Moderator
    piroteus wrote: »
    Another Mudds pack so soon? well boys and girls and others time to spend all your ZEN the lights are about to go out.

knock it off with the doom stuff. the game isn't dying just because some arbitrary condition in someone's mind has been met. they release these packs every few months, and it's been 6 months since the last pack. the game isn't going anywhere for awhile at least. this is the normal cycles for Cryptic.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

• nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Even though STO might be all healthy it doesn't always seem so when Cryptic doesn't even bother releasing a normal ship in the Zen Store except approximately every 6 months. It can seem possibly unbalanced.

Was the last normal Zen Store ship released the Titan back in October or November of 2020?

Besides that only ships are inside big-ticket bundles from Legends & Mudd's. There's plenty of gamble-released ships though.

That being said, this new Mudd's bundle is very enticing.

• trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    The Epic tokens might be a good selling point except for the fact that if you are like I am there is absolutely nothing you can spend them on. Although people have been asking for this kinda thing for years I'm not quite interested in those specific ships though.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    And if you are just interested in one or two ships out of the pack you are out of luck.

25 Quatloos per ship is a nice deal if you consider the whole packs. But you can't pay 25 for one ship, you have to pay 150 upfront. That's really a shame, as I really wanted a Kelvin/Einstein but not for 150 Quatloos.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • kegorogers#0601 kegorogers Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    The Epic tokens might be a good selling point except for the fact that if you are like I am there is absolutely nothing you can spend them on. Although people have been asking for this kinda thing for years I'm not quite interested in those specific ships though.
    I have 8 epic phoenix tokens in my account bank. I keep putting off using them because I want a Bajoran Denorios Interceptor and a Breen Plesh Tral Heavy Raider for my whole account, not per character. I keep waiting for something truly epic to appear in the Pheonix store.

I'm waiting for Cryptic to create Commander Specialization tokens that can be bought or crafted to turn T5-U ships into T6 ships (minus the tier V trait). They only need to make existing commander specializations fixed, so players can't reroll specializations. Developers would also have to consider the few ships that have dual commander seats, to keep players from trying to apply dual specializations. Although, a Pilot Command La Sirena Heavy Raider would be amazing.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,686 Community Moderator
    I'm waiting for Cryptic to create Commander Specialization tokens that can be bought or crafted to turn T5-U ships into T6 ships (minus the tier V trait). They only need to make existing commander specializations fixed, so players can't reroll specializations. Developers would also have to consider the few ships that have dual commander seats, to keep players from trying to apply dual specializations. Although, a Pilot Command La Sirena Heavy Raider would be amazing.
    I can save you the trouble on this one, it's never going to happen as they've said many times.

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    Even though STO might be all healthy it doesn't always seem so when Cryptic doesn't even bother releasing a normal ship in the Zen Store except approximately every 6 months. It can seem possibly unbalanced.

Was the last normal Zen Store ship released the Titan back in October or November of 2020?

Besides that only ships are inside big-ticket bundles from Legends & Mudd's. There's plenty of gamble-released ships though.

That being said, this new Mudd's bundle is very enticing.

There is also the 3 free Event ships each year that Cryptic has to produce which takes away time from creating more C-Store ships.
    westmetals wrote: »
    You're basically misunderstanding the entire purpose of the Phoenix box then... it was intended to give people access to old event reward items that they did not earn. Therefore just about everything in there IS an old event-reward item.
    *laughs in Phoenix Universal Tech Upgrades*
    #TASforSTO
    The relevant part:
    We're adding a special version of the pack on PC! The Mudd's MEGA Into Darkness and Beyond Bundle is a one stop purchase to obtain all eight items in the pack at once! The pack contains all eight items, no choices needed. It will also launch on 6/10, for 60000 Zen, but will be 50% off until 6/24 at 10am PT. Here's how it works:

And all I can say is
    OOF!

And I thought the anniversary 10-ship bundle with all consoles from all existing variants for each ship, including promo and lockbox variants, was expensive at its normal price...

#TASforSTO
    That's 600$. Just... W T F.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    Is the d4x usable by a fed aligned character?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    piroteus wrote: »

Hey the more of these they release before the event campaign is over, the better! This bundle knocks off two "nice to have" lockbox ships from my list, all they need to do now is hit one of my two remaining candidates with a future bundle and I'll be able to have every currently released ship that I want.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited June 2021

I don't think it's on the short-list of non-cross-faction ships, if there is one besides the Roms & JH criteria, so as long as you have a level 65 KDF toon or bought the cross-faction account service I'd think it should be.
    angrytarg wrote: »

Yeah, that was close to my sentiment. I'm still deciding about the normal version of this bundle, but this extravagant $600 version is optional so it doesn't take away from anything I can see. STO could be quickly turning into a Star Citizen wanna be.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited June 2021

Yeah, that was close to my sentiment. I'm still deciding about the normal version of this bundle, but this extravagant $600 version is optional so it doesn't take away from anything I can see. STO could be quickly turning into a Star Citizen wanna be.
    Sad thing is as expensive as 600$ for 7 ships might be there are some star citizen ships more then that for one ship... Lets hope star trek online never follows that business model. Even though I think this should closer to a legendary pack in cost.

I don't think it's on the short-list of non-cross-faction ships, if there is one besides the Roms & JH criteria, so as long as you have a level 65 KDF toon or bought the cross-faction account service I'd think it should be.

Well I only asked because the packs only open your factions version thous effectively being non cross faction.

Sad thing is as expensive as 600$ for 7 ships might be there are some star citizen ships more then that for one ship... Lets hope star trek online never follows that business model. Even though I think this should closer to a legendary pack in cost.

Well I only asked because the packs only open your factions version thous effectively being non cross faction.

It's a very valid question especially when possibly forking-out that much money.

I know it's not 100% but here's a link to the D4x's description stating it can be cross-faction in the first paragraph.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Kelvin_D4x_Pilot_Bird-of-Prey
    edited June 2021
    ALL ships can now be flown by any faction with the cross-faction flying unlock. Before, when the Romulan ships were open to KDF and Feds, there were still restrictions, but now, it's all gone outside of one category (see below).

If a ship isn't accessible, it's definitely a bug. If a Fed can access all the LTS ships, Captain Yachts and Starter ships/shuttles, then everything is available to all factions, including lockbox ships where you now can choose a ship if the box has several faction-related possibilities, as the cross-equipment lobi packs are now officially gone (outside of those people haven't sold yet)...

EXCEPT

the Vanguard Dominion ships that still require you to unlock their Tier VI on a Dominion character for some reason.
    #TASforSTO
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    As usual it is nice whale bait but irrelevant to most of the playerbase since it is priced well above what typical casual and intermediate players can afford.
    As usual it is nice whale bait but irrelevant to most of the playerbase since it is priced well above what typical casual and intermediate players can afford.

Or are willing to pay. People often bring up that it's good value if you select only ship bundles and then break down the costs per ship. And 25 for a ship doesn't sound too expensive in STOs context (though if it's reasonable in the first place is another matter). However, you can't get a ship for that amount - you have to pay full price, regardless whether you want all or just some or even one ship.

Being able to afford it is one thing, being willing to pay three to six times the price of a full AAA game or, with the deluxe bundle we hit that milestone, complete gaming hardware, games included, for those in-game items is another entirely.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    ALL ships can now be flown by any faction with the cross-faction flying unlock. Before, when the Romulan ships were open to KDF and Feds, there were still restrictions, but now, it's all gone outside of one category (see below).

If a ship isn't accessible, it's definitely a bug. If a Fed can access all the LTS ships, Captain Yachts and Starter ships/shuttles, then everything is available to all factions, including lockbox ships where you now can choose a ship if the box has several faction-related possibilities, as the cross-equipment lobi packs are now officially gone (outside of those people haven't sold yet)...

EXCEPT

the Vanguard Dominion ships that still require you to unlock their Tier VI on a Dominion character for some reason.

I *believe* the Temporal Science Vessel and Temporal Destroyer boxes (which were in a previous Mudd's pack, also lockbox and lobi items) still auto open to your faction. Will check.

Also I recently saw a report that the Rahhae Recon (spelling?) Romulan ship is not showing up in shipyards where it should, but that seems like a bug to me.

These days you can pick which ship you want if you have Cross Faction Flying unlocked. There was one that was bugged for a while and auto-opened, but that got fixed later in a patch.

Edit: And yes, you could have all three ships from either pack on the same character. You just can't have two ships of the exact same type (AKA 2 Verne's) on one character at the same time. (Which is true for all zen store ships.)
  • zordoz#3230 zordoz Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I like this bundle I got the choose 3 bundle and I have been having a lot of fun with it.