test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sheliak

ineluki71ineluki71 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
There are a ton of forum posts about Sheliak on STO. Are they still a reasonable request? I don't know why, but they were the 1st Cardassians in TNG in my opinion. Maybe a Cardassian/Sheliak alliance!!! >:)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    ineluki71 wrote: »
    There are a ton of forum posts about Sheliak on STO. Are they still a reasonable request? I don't know why, but they were the 1st Cardassians in TNG in my opinion. Maybe a Cardassian/Sheliak alliance!!! >:)

Personally I consider Romulans to be the 1st Cardassians, most of their culture is stolen from Romulans.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    The Sheliak... I don't honestly know why people want to deal with them so much. Yes they are highly advanced, but they're so frickin' precise with their treaties that they have fine print on top of fine print! Picard had to reference two sections just to own the Sheliak to give him the three weeks he needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILbLGNDqUxA
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Sheliak... I don't honestly know why people want to deal with them so much. Yes they are highly advanced, but they're so frickin' precise with their treaties that they have fine print on top of fine print! Picard had to reference two sections just to own the Sheliak to give him the three weeks he needed.
    Yes, the big problem with the Sheliak in STO is that, even though they had the opportunity to simply wipe out the colony without anyone knowing, since not even the Federation knew they were there, they instead chose to call the Federation themselves, and deal with it per the treaty. And when Picard declared the treaty in abeyance, the Sheliak instantly responded with trying to resume negotiations, instead of resorting to violence.

The Sheliak may not like the Federation, but they aren't innately hostile about it like say the Tzenkethi arc.

Pretty much yeah, they hate the Federation for the lack of a better term. But they are very honorable when it comes to following the treaty and the law made out of it. They could have destroyed the human colony, but instead like you mentioned. They contacted the Federation, and they made no hostile move even after Picard smacked them over the nose with the treaty.

So they can't really be an enemy in STO, as they are quite peaceful so to say. They go along with the treaty and do not seem to want to provoke a war with the Federation. Then again, it's STO.. And future Trek, so lore doesn't have anything to say. Maybe they can turn suddenly evil and try to blow up the galaxy? I mean, all other lore has been nullified or been completely borked..

So yeah!

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    All I know of the Sheliak is that they love to be precise, hence the rediculously big treaty they had to sort through. I think in beta canon they were described as insectoid. I vaguely remember mention of the Sheliak in one of the Gateways novels, and they described an insectoid, which reminded me of the Xindi-Insectoids.
    But I don't think STO's ready for another insectoid threat so soon after the Hur'q.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.