test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will we see more Recruits making a return?

bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
Is there an alpha one? also the Gamma and Temporal I would really like to do as well. in my opinion these recruit events are a ton of fun, make the game interesting. And the rewards are pretty nice too. I like them a lot! 10/10 for me at least.
klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Sweet!! that is really cool!! luckily I already have about 13 slots ready to roll lol. butt yeah i am really enjoying working on these account rewards gives me goals to try and finish other than just mindlessly rolling through content.

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,780 Arc User
    We're getting a Temporal Agent rerun this year, the only factions without a recruitment event are the Romulans and Discovery Starfleet, however Disco should be eligible for Temporal Agents since they're from 10 years earlier than TOS captains.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    bcstar wrote: »
    Is there an alpha one? also the Gamma and Temporal I would really like to do as well. in my opinion these recruit events are a ton of fun, make the game interesting. And the rewards are pretty nice too. I like them a lot! 10/10 for me at least.

No, there are only four... Delta, Temporal, Gamma, Klingon (in order of original run date).

Delta was for all three of the existing factions at the time, Temporal and Gamma both ran with the introduction of a new faction... only Discovery characters have not been eligible for a recruit event at some point.

It would be cool if they added one for Discovery, Question regarding gamma Does that include the Jem'Hadar's as recruits? I would Obviously thing it would but don't want to Assume, also thanks for letting me know how many different recruit events there are.

• Options
    athan#5519 athan Member Posts: 78 Arc User

It would be cool if they added one for Discovery

If they wanted to work on that, they could do something that could also translate to main FED recruit as well. Anyway I am HAPPY they are going to try to do another Temporal recruit again! But they would likely need time as that event required maps that are no longer in main use like the one where you first run into Miral Perez.
  • Options

No, there are only four... Delta, Temporal, Gamma, Klingon (in order of original run date).

Delta was for all three of the existing factions at the time, Temporal and Gamma both ran with the introduction of a new faction... only Discovery characters have not been eligible for a recruit event at some point.

It would be cool if they added one for Discovery, Question regarding gamma Does that include the Jem'Hadar's as recruits? I would Obviously thing it would but don't want to Assume, also thanks for letting me know how many different recruit events there are.

Yes... Gamma Recruit was first run at the same time that the Dominion faction was added to the game, and any Dominion character (ONLY) qualifies (if created during the event of course); I believe it was rerun once last year as well.

Same was true for Temporal with the TOS faction.

In both cases, ONLY the new faction was eligible. So combined with Delta (even without Klingon!) there have been recruit events that cover every faction except Discovery. (Delta covers the original Starfleet faction, Romulan, and Klingon... and in some cases each has access to unlocks that the others do not, so you really should play all three.) Klingons have actually been eligible for two different ones.

Thanks for all the info on this, and looks like I have two more recruits ill be making when the Gamma and Temporal events come back. I swear its like Pokémon need to have them all.

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,513 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I am looking forward to the Agents of Yesterday recruitment rerun more than the others since I just missed it when I started STO (by about a day or so). The Delta and Klingon ones are good too, though I don't do the Gamma recruit stuff at all (I started one Gamma recruit but found that since I cannot get into the Jem'Hadars heads at all it was an impossibly boring grind so I only keep it around to use the ship for space stuff occasionally).

Agents of Yesterday will take a lot of relinking since a lot of the missions for it are gone and it did not already get a revamp like Delta did already to build on and the number of missions left with even the vaguest hint of being thematically appropriate for TOS characters is miniscule, especially since they took Spectres out of the episode list.
  • Options
    I am looking forward to the Agents of Yesterday recruitment rerun more than the others since I just missed it when I started STO (by about a day or so). The Delta and Klingon ones are good too, though I don't do the Gamma recruit stuff at all (I started one Gamma recruit but found that since I cannot get into the Jem'Hadars heads at all it was an impossibly boring grind so I only keep it around to use the ship for space stuff occasionally).

Agents of Yesterday will take a lot of relinking since a lot of the missions for it are gone and it did not already get a revamp like Delta did already to build on and the number of missions left with even the vaguest hint of being thematically appropriate for TOS characters is miniscule, especially since they took Spectres out of the episode list.

I also Enjoyed Agents of Yesterday. What I do recall though was having one of the old phasers and wholly, that thing would melt anything i came across it seemed very OP at the time. the missions were ok but they all seemed extremely buggy.

• Options
    We're getting a Temporal Agent rerun this year, the only factions without a recruitment event are the Romulans and Discovery Starfleet, however Disco should be eligible for Temporal Agents since they're from 10 years earlier than TOS captains.

I meant something exclusive for Romulans, I didn't count Delta as a Romulan recruitment event since it's also shared with both Feds and KDF, The Romulans need their own recruitment event.
  • Options
    The Romulans need their own recruitment event.
    While I would have no issue with a Rom event... why do they NEED their own?

Because every other faction got their own, even the Klingons, YoK was just the beginning.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2021

Because every other faction got their own, even the Klingons, YoK was just the beginning.
    DSC Feds, and 2409 Feds, don't have their own exclusive recruitment event.

Technically, there was never a need for 2400s Feds since they are the single most popular Fed Faction (and single biggest faction), and the value of starting off as a Rom has somewhat faded now that Cross-Faction flying is a thing (the only remaining reason are for chances at VR SRO Rom Boff rewards and Rom Boff Recruitment Assignments). All the other Recruitment events were to encourage more playing of their other factions as well as entice veteran players to start fresh with Cryptic's new intro content.

On the subject of starting fresh, the Delta Recruitment event effectively covers 2400 Feds and Romulans, and unless Cryptic intends to refresh the starting missions for both of them, they don't really need a specific Recruitment event to entice playing through them again. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have ESD destroyed a 3rd time for yet another refresh with even more conveniences (Exchange console near the Shipyards), or upgrade New Romulus Command so that more convenience consoles are available, at least in the Ship Hangar area (Bank at least, Exchange as a bonus).

Disco Feds could do with a recruitment event, if only because TOS Feds got one in order to encourage playing through their TOS-era arc as well as part of the Temporal Wars, and since Disco is going to be a major element moving forwards and also involved some Temporal mechanics, may as well begin a Disco recruitment event in the same vein as the Temporal Recruitment event. Heck, just expand the existing Temporal Recruitment event to also include Disco Feds. While they're at it, throw in a new Temporal Expansion Pack featuring 32nd Century starships that build upon the design elements already present in the Disco series proper, and also follows the Temporal ship pack in that it has both far future designs as well as existing current designs as hull options. In the case of the 32nd Century design, they could port the same design elements over to a futuristic Sovereign, Oddy, Voyager, Prometheus, and add in a 32nd variant of the Scryer (given a rather similar ship appears unnamed), and a Legendary 32nd Century Enterprise (when that eventually appears).
  • Options

Technically, there was never a need for 2400s Feds since they are the single most popular Fed Faction (and single biggest faction), and the value of starting off as a Rom has somewhat faded now that Cross-Faction flying is a thing (the only remaining reason are for chances at VR SRO Rom Boff rewards and Rom Boff Recruitment Assignments). All the other Recruitment events were to encourage more playing of their other factions as well as entice veteran players to start fresh with Cryptic's new intro content.

On the subject of starting fresh, the Delta Recruitment event effectively covers 2400 Feds and Romulans, and unless Cryptic intends to refresh the starting missions for both of them, they don't really need a specific Recruitment event to entice playing through them again. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have ESD destroyed a 3rd time for yet another refresh with even more conveniences (Exchange console near the Shipyards), or upgrade New Romulus Command so that more convenience consoles are available, at least in the Ship Hangar area (Bank at least, Exchange as a bonus).

Disco Feds could do with a recruitment event, if only because TOS Feds got one in order to encourage playing through their TOS-era arc as well as part of the Temporal Wars, and since Disco is going to be a major element moving forwards and also involved some Temporal mechanics, may as well begin a Disco recruitment event in the same vein as the Temporal Recruitment event. Heck, just expand the existing Temporal Recruitment event to also include Disco Feds. While they're at it, throw in a new Temporal Expansion Pack featuring 32nd Century starships that build upon the design elements already present in the Disco series proper, and also follows the Temporal ship pack in that it has both far future designs as well as existing current designs as hull options. In the case of the 32nd Century design, they could port the same design elements over to a futuristic Sovereign, Oddy, Voyager, Prometheus, and add in a 32nd variant of the Scryer (given a rather similar ship appears unnamed), and a Legendary 32nd Century Enterprise (when that eventually appears).

The one thing that I See for Roms having their own event, is for a shorter introduction... The whole Tal'Shiar stuff drags on on a new Rom and then choosing sides is like hmm 9 missions or so before you can decide?? Also I think the Roms from tutorial to choosing which side to play on, has had 0 revamps? I Might be wrong on that and don't get me completely wrong I love the Romulans story but after making the 5th toon it gets tedious i would roll mostly Roms because I like their cloak and dagger feel play style. but that intro gets long winded hehe.

• Options

The Federation already has one unique recruitment (AoY) along with sharing Delta with the other two nation-based factions (Gamma isn't really the Dominion itself so much as it is just Odo's rather sizable expeditionary force), and the Klingons also have one unique and one shared recruitment. The only factions without one of each are the Romulans who share Delta but don't have a unique one, and Odo's expditionary force who have their own unique recruitment (Gamma) but no shared one, so it is Fed 2, KDF 2, Rom 1, Odo's 1.

One weird thing they could do would be to make it two all the way around with the least effort would be to make one that is shared by the Romulans and the Dominion (even if it is just Odo's dodos). In fact, if the devs get feeling frisky they could do something like linking the Romulans and the actual Dominion through some newly discovered gateway from their experimenting with the Dewan and/or the Jouret gates that forshadows or even obliquely kicks off whatever the next big arc or the one after it is.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

The Federation already has one unique recruitment (AoY) along with sharing Delta with the other two nation-based factions.... and the Klingons also have one unique and one shared recruitment. The only factions without one of each are the Romulans who share Delta but don't have a unique one, and Odo's expditionary force who have their own unique recruitment (Gamma) but no shared one, so it is Fed 2, KDF 2, Rom 1, Odo's 1.

Except that's not really true... for AoY you have to start as TOS Fed while for Delta you have to start as TNG Fed. So they're not really interchangeable.

The KDF is the only faction that has ever been eligible for more than one.

If you look at subfactions like they are separate factions that would be true enough, but on a faction level the Federation still has two recruitment events, the Federation is just finer-grained than the other factions (because so much more is known about them) so the events attach to specific points inside the faction.

And since AoY is specifically a "Buck Rogers" style character from the past concept it would only work for TOS and DSC, so the question becomes a matter of whether it is worth the effort to the devs to loop DSC into it since it still would not cover all the Fed subfactions (plus it would look like a bait and switch to the players since the DSC part probably would be no different from what they have already aside from adding a tesseract transponder).
  • Options
    They probably should have done a separate Discovery Recruit event when the faction was first added, but they didn't. I wouldn't mind them doing that in the future.

I Recall when discovery characters first landed you could find Easter Eggs in some of the systems at least that was what i seen someone mention once. but any time you try to fly to any system that isn't directly related to the tutorial it just rests your warp point. was this taken out at some point when you could explore the areas in the tutorial i don't ever recall a point of when it was changed?

• Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    This isn't the first time Delta made a return you know, but yes the others are likely to at some point.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    > @corinthalas said:
    > Similar temporal shenanigans put them straight into the current timeline, too. And you become temporal agents, as well. There's no reason no to include them.

The story would suffer with a homogenized AoY temporal storyline. Watch some episodes of Discovery and TOS and tell me the differences are only a matter of 10 years. The tone of the stories are completely different. TOS is a lot of fun but it's pretty hokey when compared to new series. I think that translated very well to the MMO medium because the stories are by nature episodic and hamfisted. It's possible to have both, but not together. Even the AoY opener was a "jump" and clean break from the ToS continuity before bridging into the contemporary STO story. If you were looking at merging the front end you could introduce the Pike style ToS remained for Discovery as they did in Season 2 but it would be throwing out the baby on the schlocky (but fun) homage that was the existing TOS story. On that note I'd like to see some retcon TOS if that Pike series they are planning drops.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited April 2021

Wish they had Klingon and Romulan AoY Temporal campaigns as well....that would be epic.
  • Options

Wish they had Klingon and Romulan AoY Temporal campaigns as well....that would be epic.

I wonder if CBS would frown on them actually doing a TOS Klingon or even TOS Romulan event nowadays. It would not fit their new 'prime' universe style at all and I don't think CBS would be too happy about that even if they decide to abandon any era with pre-existing Trek like they did with DSC (and a lesser degree with PIC).
This discussion has been closed.