test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Yeager Class

gminfly#3704 gminfly Member Posts: 38 Arc User
Since you recently actually made a T6 Oberth (Aka Canons most hated ship)
I find it only fair if you'd finally bring us a Yeager Class.
You have all the building blocks already.
I mean You got the Val Jean (aka Maquis Raider)
valjean.jpg

And You got the Intrepid
intrepid.jpg

So all you really gotta do is slap them together and Bam!
yaeger.jpg
Yeager Class

Yes this ship is hated by many but also loved by many, there are countless videos on youtube about this being a secret fan favourite and the theory of the Federation just upscaling the Val Jean via Replicator is even Beta Canon now.

So give your self a nudge and bring us this Hero of the Dominion War.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Do any of the ship model Devs like it?

I'm pretty sure they've only ever had negative things to say about it, but I'm the case of the Yaeger that's kind of understandable tbh. I still think it should be in the game, but other ships should come first like the Nova, Constellation, Saber, NX Intrepid, etc.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    They have used that same "Peregrine" model for a bubble-canopied fighter shuttle only seen in a static shot, a slightly larger than runabout sized "fighter" corvette (presumably the ex-courier ship class the Maquis converted into light raiders and the Federation's improved answer to it), the heavier (light frigate sized) Val Jean type that Chakotay commanded which carried a crew of somewhere between forty and fifty, and a freighter seen for all of about a half second at the end of a communication which was probably bigger than all of the others.

The Yeager obviously does not use the smaller ones, so the freighter is almost certainly the ship that forms the secondary hull.

As for the game, they would probably have to do more than just rescale the Maquis raider and stick the Voyager parts on it, I would bet that the parts are not compatible and they would have to make a new model for the secondary hull. It would take some work but the finished product would probably be better for it anyway.

I have been asking for the Yeager class for a long time, but I think we would see a T6 Nova and Rhode Island and probably a whole slew of other supposedly unwanted ships before the Yeager would even be considered (if even then). The devs have expressed a decidedly negative opinion of the ship, like they have for Vorta, so when a ship they don't express any opinion on at all doesn't get updated in a decade you can bet the ones they actively dislike are not on the bottom of the list, they are not on the list at all.
  • Options
    Reading all these Comments I don't understand why the Devs have such a leeway here.
    Honestly, this is a franchise game!
    I dislike Discovery, does not mean I'm gonna take it away from people who wanna play in that universe.
    I also don't think the Devs are great fans of some of the game breaking bugs that were around for years at a time.
    Just give the people what they want sometimes. For real.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    Ships I'd rather see before a Yaeger:
    -T6 Nova
    -T6 Miracle Worker Dyson Science Destroyers(1 per faction; including JH/Dom)
    -Those Vengence-like 32c Starfleet ships from Disco S3
    -The Scout Ship from Insurrection
    -Devore Warships
    -Those zippy Kovaalan ships from Enterprise
    -Vulcan Flight Deck Cruiser from Enterprise
    -T6 Risian Cruiser
  • Options
    captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    -T6 Nova
    -Devore Warships
    -T6 Risian Cruiser

I'd def like a T6 Nova/Rhode Island, and a Vulcan Flight Deck Cruiser.

The T6 Oberth isn't confirmed, that could have well been an April Fools joke. I wish for slightly more variations on old weapons FX.

Enterprise Phase Canons that have sharper reddish beams with sufficient bloom/glow. Obviously their firing rate would be shorter bursts.

The standard Federation Phasers to not look so cartoonish, a little update to their graphics so when we do use smaller ships the beam isn't as ridiculous. Again, the beams can be smaller/sharper but emphasize the bloom effect and that should do the trick.

Screen accurate first contact/voyager dolphin hand phasers, with accurate beam FX.
    The TNG type 1 cricket hand phaser same thing re FX.

The Cage Laser Pistols.
    The Cage uniforms.

And William Shatner to play Kirk and lets get the movie era bridge for our movie era ships and toons.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Should be burned with fire.. hot plasma.. or anything like that..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    That picture of the intrepid is literally the plastic model kit you can buy and make. Are all the ships based on model kits. Is this game nothing but a starwarsian attempt to sell pieces of plastic to adult children?!
  • Options
    livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    -T6 Nova
    -Devore Warships
    -T6 Risian Cruiser

Yes for more T6 Vulcan ships! I need them in my life. but not legendary ones. C-Store ones.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    aftulus wrote: »
    That picture of the intrepid is literally the plastic model kit you can buy and make. Are all the ships based on model kits. Is this game nothing but a starwarsian attempt to sell pieces of plastic to adult children?!
    That picture of the Intrepid-class is literally exactly the same as the Intrepid-class USS Voyager. You can have one in-game. Many people do. What are you on about with "pieces of plastic"? Are you under the impression that there's an actual physical model of every single ship every player has ever made sitting about somewhere?

And this thread is literally about making a ship in-game, one with no currently-existing physical model. I doubt it will ever happen because the time and cost of making it would likely not be made up by sales of the ship to players (which is, frankly, the only meaningful metric for any business that wants to stay in business), but there's no, as you put it, "starwarsian... sell[ing] pieces of plastic". I mean, if you want the plastic, you can pay extra to have a model 3D-printed and sent to you, but that can also be of nearly any ship in existence, including some of our tailor kitbashes. If I wanted a model of, say, USS Lorna Wing, a Yorktown-class with Odyssey-class nacelles, I'd just have to click a few buttons and have more money than I happen to need (so it's probably not going to happen, but you see where I'm going with this).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    Still, one would think that the devs might consider the Yeager class with its having been in 23 episodes of DS9...
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    jonsills wrote: »
    That picture of the Intrepid-class is literally exactly the same as the Intrepid-class USS Voyager. You can have one in-game. Many people do. What are you on about with "pieces of plastic"? Are you under the impression that there's an actual physical model of every single ship every player has ever made sitting about somewhere?

And this thread is literally about making a ship in-game, one with no currently-existing physical model. I doubt it will ever happen because the time and cost of making it would likely not be made up by sales of the ship to players (which is, frankly, the only meaningful metric for any business that wants to stay in business), but there's no, as you put it, "starwarsian... sell[ing] pieces of plastic". I mean, if you want the plastic, you can pay extra to have a model 3D-printed and sent to you, but that can also be of nearly any ship in existence, including some of our tailor kitbashes. If I wanted a model of, say, USS Lorna Wing, a Yorktown-class with Odyssey-class nacelles, I'd just have to click a few buttons and have more money than I happen to need (so it's probably not going to happen, but you see where I'm going with this).

The picture is literally on some level derived from the plastic model kit. The decals and the shape of the upper area are exactly how they make the plastic components. It's like they did the 3d model directly from the model kit with all the oddities of a model kit vs the existing more in depth models from the show or other cgi that might be used in the tv/movie productions.

I had the voyager model kit. That is the model kit with all of it's oddities. It's not from tv/movie resources.

TV/movie or better model kit:
    star_trek_voyager_ship_1991l.jpg

Plain ole Jane model kit:
    mkBXm5a.png

The model kit, like the op's picture has much shallower lines. The top dark area that is diamond shaped has depth to it. The model kit had crappier thinner area's for instance. And the decals are the decals. It might not look like much, but if you put that model kit together it's kind of noticeable. I'm wondering if they did this with other ship models. Assuming that picture is from in game.

I think they took a shot of a model kit put together and digitized it over using other assets.

You can even see the cheaper hinges from the model kit as opposed to the nicer ones on the other picture. The nacelles had this very crappy very round area allowing them to move up and down. The other pic has nicer ones.

It's possible one is a nicer possibly larger model. Maybe from the show or a larger kit. But the first pic is the model kit I had that was commonly sold back then. No idea where the pic is from though. Is it in game?

The back nacelles next to the ugly round hinges are also thicker than the nicer version. The nicer version has much thinner more aesthetic parts. This is from the plastic for the model of that scale not being able to support that design sufficiently. It's one of the first thing you notice about the model kit when you build it. That and those shallower front details.
    Post edited by aftulus on
  • Options

So I was gonna come after you until I remembered the linked in-game 3d printing service...
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    According to the recent-ish Q&A session in regards to the Andromeda texture update, they cannot just take models and HD-fy or kitbash them to something new. They have to start from scratch each time. Makes it rather inconvenient putting the limited resources they have to work on a kitbash that isn't likely to sell. Moreso when it'll take more time working from near-scratch, as opposed to working with models CBS and Paramount have been sending them.

It would have to either be a pet project of one of the modelers that then becomes official, or tied-in to some major episode Arc or collaboration to justify its asset. Heck, same thing that happened to the T6 Voyager's bridge assets, wasn't originally intended to be sold before changing that plan last-minute.

All that said, I'm all for more ships into STO, but I also would like more Shipyard space, esp. if this kind of ship is likely to be a Lobi/Lockbox/Promo ship rather than a Zen Store/Fleet ship.
This discussion has been closed.