test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why not playable androids and holograms?

smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 218 Arc User
The big issue that makes it hard for the devs to add new playable races seems to be the art issues; designing the look of the race and how the body interacts with uniforms. I can see how that could take a lot of time.

But androids and holograms already exist as bridge officers. The artwork is already done. So why not open them up as purchasable playable races?

I'm sure there are people out there that might like to play their version of Lt. Commander Data or Voyager's Doctor. There's really no reason that these couldn't be added with only a small adjustment, since the races already exist for bridge officers.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,273 Arc User
    CBS said "no" in the past, that might have changed (at least Cryptic implied it might have) but making a playable race takes a while so Cryptic might be able to make one, they would have had the time to do it yet.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,782 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I don't see holograms being playable and the only androids that would work are soong-types considering that that there was only three when STO started, the Picard series that is set 10 years before STO timeline mass produced and upgraded these androids, gave them a new planet on Coppelius and put them under federation protection, they're a fed only race since none of them joined the klingon empire on screen.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    CBS said "no" in the past, that might have changed (at least Cryptic implied it might have) but making a playable race takes a while so Cryptic might be able to make one, they would have had the time to do it yet.

While they changed their minds about Kelpien, I really don't see CBS ever allowing androids or holograms since Data and The Doctor were supposed to be unique exceptions. I suppose Picard may have opened the door for androids since it had a small village of them, but they aren't part of the Federation and there weren't very many anyway so I still see that being a no. If they do a 32c sub-faction then maybe it could be available for that.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2021

True, and now with Picard having died and now an Android himself, he's probably thankful decades earlier had established Android Rights for Data. Also I suspect with Isa Briones as Soji Asha who is a daughter of Data, that story line will continue to Evolve, especially after a ban on creating them by the Federation (shown in Picard Season 1) after the Attack on Mars. I think the only reason CBS originally avoided allowing them as a Race, is they wanted them mostly to be very rare as the person (above) my reply indicated, that and just the raw strengths they have.

Yet I remember (someone) at Cryptic previously hinting they were looking into at least one new playable Species, but I can't recall who made the claim as it was perhaps several months ago. I do remember they spoke of why they originally excluded Vorta's for Dominion; and briefly only spoke of the complexity of Changling, cause of their ability to change.

I remember some thinking perhaps Changeling was being considered, yet they never directly said so. They only implied at least 1 new race was being strongly considered or worked on, and that can sometimes take a lot of preparation.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,376 Arc User
    Playable androids? Easy.

You know they can't be told from normal humans by mere visual inspection any more, right? Just say that your toon is an android. Boom!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Aren't Androids lifetime exclusive?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,062 Community Moderator
    angrytarg wrote: »

Andorid BOffs, and you can only have one per character.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    possum440possum440 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    smi3th wrote: »
    The big issue that makes it hard for the devs to add new playable races seems to be the art issues; designing the look of the race and how the body interacts with uniforms. I can see how that could take a lot of time.

But androids and holograms already exist as bridge officers. The artwork is already done. So why not open them up as purchasable playable races?

I'm sure there are people out there that might like to play their version of Lt. Commander Data or Voyager's Doctor. There's really no reason that these couldn't be added with only a small adjustment, since the races already exist for bridge officers.

Always remember the equation in regards to anything PWE owns...Work plus cost must be far less than profit. Your wants and desires have no place in that equation.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @possum440 said:
    > Always remember the equation in regards to anything PWE owns...Work plus cost must be far less than profit. Your wants and desires have no place in that equation.

Yes. How dare they not operating a net loss business to appease to fans!
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I'm guessing that when the game was first released, the developer intended to slow roll release new playable races over a long period of time. It's possible that androids and holographic characters would have been released at some point under a business model that relied more on subscription instead of lock boxes and promo packs to go along with c-store microtransactions. Since new playable races encourage you to create new characters which keeps you playing AND paying the monthly subscription fee.

However, A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT has changed since the game was first released. The subscription model failed completely. Lock boxes, promo packs and mega bundles are what keep the game profitable now. New playable races are generally only profitable if they are also part of a new mini-faction that has highly desirable ships that can be sold or gambled for along with them. Think of the Romulans and Remans or the Jem'Hadar. There's tons of ships that were released for these races. Which ships would playable androids and holograms help to sell?

Although I could still see playable androids and holograms happening in the future, it likely won't be near the top of Cryptic's list of "things to do" because of the question "which ships would this new playable race help sell?" Remember, everything that Cryptic does is done with the intention of selling you more stuff. So when we ask ourselves, "why not make X race playable?" Ask the question, which ships would cryptic release to go along with this hypothetical new playable race?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,062 Community Moderator
    possum440 wrote: »
    Always remember the equation in regards to anything PWE owns...Work plus cost must be far less than profit. Your wants and desires have no place in that equation.

Does not account for one variable either. CBS. If the IP holders say no, it doesn't matter how much they can profit. The IP Holders have power over what can and cannot be released. And last I heard, CBS veto'd playable androids. They MAY change their minds, like they did with the endgame Connie, but that is their decision. Not Cryptic's, and not PWE. BTW... PWE is not a developer anyways, so citing them is not viable as Cryptic does all the work. PWE just signs their paychecks. That would be like blaming all of California for something Los Angeles does IMO.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    rattler2 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »

Andorid BOffs, and you can only have one per character.

There is also the Temporal Agent Starter Pack that comes with 0718 (Android) which is unlockable once per Character too.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    So now that Picard is an android...
    Is he fully functional?
    Programmed in various techniques?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    Is he fully functional?

*facedesk*
  • Options
    Is he fully functional?

He probably also has a built in replicator to make himself earl grey tea once he's done with Crusher.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,273 Arc User
    I'm Bi and I still don't need that mental image, so please lets leave such discussions where they belong.
  • Options
    I'm Bi and I still don't need that mental image, so please lets leave such discussions where they belong.

Ok we'll keep it PG.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,818 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Playable androids? Easy.

You know they can't be told from normal humans by mere visual inspection any more, right? Just say that your toon is an android. Boom!

This is what I did with some of my toons and boffs.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,376 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    There were other androids before Soong. Am I the only one who remembers "I, Mudd" and "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"
    And Norman, while serving aboard the Enterprise, looked completely Human-normal. Nor was his nature detectable by the transporter, apparently. (Kind of like Juliana Tainer, come to think of it.) And then there was Rayna Kapec in "Requiem For Methuselah"...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Supposedly The Doctor (not the Doctor Who The Doctor :sunglasses: ) is going to be in the second season (depending on when they are able to start/continue producing episodes), so maybe Parmount/CBS is waiting to allow them after season two is released? (Fingers crossed)
This discussion has been closed.