test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm a "whale." I probably would have bought the legendary bundle. But not like this...

2»

Comments

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    mattingly1 wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    madmopar wrote: »
    > @lianthelia said:
    > Like I've said in other places, I think this pack is destined for the dumpster and will be their de-facto excuse for the future when asked why they don't make more Klingon ships. (Point to this pack and mention how horrible of a seller it was)
    >
    > The D7 will likely be in it's own pack because you know they will milk the hell out of pack with the most iconic Klingon ship bar none.

Year of klingon gave me everything I need to move completely fed side. While KDF got some nice upgrades to character models and other stuff you know fed is going to get even better upgrades.

There is zero reason to play kdf now that any advantage they had(cheap traits and consoles) is gone while feds maintain their advantage(dev attention).

The Devs went a inch with the Klingons and act like they went a mile

This is all the final excuse they need to basically develop Feds only...and we know they have a laundry list of back items

Discovery Enterprise uniform, Discovery 32nd century uniform, Admiral Picard uniform, and Lower Decks uniform
    The California class and 32nd Century ships
    More legendary ships, ship of the line bundles, and never before T6 ships

Yeah....hey have tons of exclusive Fed content to work on and I'm sure more they can create themselves, once this farce of "The year of the Klingon" is over it would be Year of the Fed just like every other year in the game.

I don't feel the whole 'Fed vs. KDF' thing the way a lot of other players do - especially now that the wall has fallen, and we can fly everything. To me, cool Star Trek ships are just cool Star Trek ships - if a ship is iconic, I want it to be made into a legendary, and I want it in my collection.

Make no mistake, I want these four ships. But I won't pay this for them, because the frills are just obnoxious. And - AND - I am as disappointed as anyone about what isn't in the bundle: the D7, the Negh'var, and potentially the Bortasqu. How are we ever going to get the legendary versions of the latter two (I still expect the D7 as a standalone) if not in this pack?

I've been playing the game since before it went F2P...I've seen the Devs on multiple occasions intentionally fumble the ball then point to it as their excuse as to why Klingons don't get the attention Feds do. They keep doing this and they wonder why everyone wants to play Fed only?

Making every ship playable by everyone is the final nail in the coffin...the Devs can do what THEY have wanted to do with the game all along, make it Fed only. There is pretty much no reason to play a KDF character anymore when Feds have it all...
  • Options
    mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    > @lianthelia said:
    > Like I've said in other places, I think this pack is destined for the dumpster and will be their de-facto excuse for the future when asked why they don't make more Klingon ships. (Point to this pack and mention how horrible of a seller it was)
    >
    > The D7 will likely be in it's own pack because you know they will milk the hell out of pack with the most iconic Klingon ship bar none.

Year of klingon gave me everything I need to move completely fed side. While KDF got some nice upgrades to character models and other stuff you know fed is going to get even better upgrades.

There is zero reason to play kdf now that any advantage they had(cheap traits and consoles) is gone while feds maintain their advantage(dev attention).

This is all the final excuse they need to basically develop Feds only...and we know they have a laundry list of back items

Discovery Enterprise uniform, Discovery 32nd century uniform, Admiral Picard uniform, and Lower Decks uniform

Yeah....hey have tons of exclusive Fed content to work on and I'm sure more they can create themselves, once this farce of "The year of the Klingon" is over it would be Year of the Fed just like every other year in the game.

I don't feel the whole 'Fed vs. KDF' thing the way a lot of other players do - especially now that the wall has fallen, and we can fly everything. To me, cool Star Trek ships are just cool Star Trek ships - if a ship is iconic, I want it to be made into a legendary, and I want it in my collection.

Make no mistake, I want these four ships. But I won't pay this for them, because the frills are just obnoxious. And - AND - I am as disappointed as anyone about what isn't in the bundle: the D7, the Negh'var, and potentially the Bortasqu. How are we ever going to get the legendary versions of the latter two (I still expect the D7 as a standalone) if not in this pack?

I've been playing the game since before it went F2P...I've seen the Devs on multiple occasions intentionally fumble the ball then point to it as their excuse as to why Klingons don't get the attention Feds do. They keep doing this and they wonder why everyone wants to play Fed only?

Making every ship playable by everyone is the final nail in the coffin...the Devs can do what THEY have wanted to do with the game all along, make it Fed only. There is pretty much no reason to play a KDF character anymore when Feds have it all...

I agree - especially since the Alliance is essentially "the super secret Federation ultra-best friend's club."
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    4 Ships for $250 is bad enough..

But the fact that none of them are a D7 is absolutely astonishing. I know that Cryptic claims that their metrics tell the players what they ‘really’ want.. but I think they badly missed the mark on this one.

Fine by me, means I don’t have to spend any money.. I have the promo box D7 anyway so I am happy to just ignore this rip off pack.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    > @lianthelia said:
    >

I agree - especially since the Alliance is essentially "the super secret Federation ultra-best friend's club."

Feds have it all now...

I was honestly hoping that with this anniversary and being "The year of the Klingon" that they'd get a nice ship pack (didn't need to be 10 ships but I came up with a idea for a 10 legendary ships myself so they had no excuses) instead they got 2 ships along with 2 Fed ships in this bloated pack. (I myself personally was hoping for a legendary Bortasqu and maybe a Discovery D7)

I had hoped that since they decided to do something special with the Discovery Klingons and not just add the customization to standard Klingons, that maybe they'd make them a sub faction (Which I really wanted, I would have loved have the neon green effects they have since green is my favorite color) but instead they just added them as a race...a race that is identical to TOS/TNG Klingons except with different facial options
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Where is the ship list? I only see the Brel listed. If it is 4 ships and 2 are fed—the other ship will definitely be the D-7

You guys are really overreacting.

That being said 2 Klingon ships at 75% of 250= 190 USD— I doubt I could justify that purchase. I mean maybe if the Fed ships were like the mirror constitution and the crossfield—cryptic may be able to sell it...

But personally I am not much interested in more Fed ships, and would have expected more like 6 KDF ships for a legendary Klingon pack.

Maybe we will get lucky and Cyptic will make a better bundle next time.

But I really think this is a bad move that will perpetuate the argument that KDF doesn’t sell.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    Where is the ship list? I only see the Brel listed. If it is 4 ships and 2 are fed—the other ship will definitely be the D-7

They accidentally showed it on the launcher earlier today (and later removed it). The 2 KDF ships are BOP and Vorcha and the 2 Fed ships are Excelsior and Ambassador.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > They accidentally showed it on the launcher earlier today (and later removed it). The 2 KDF ships are BOP and Vorcha and the 2 Fed ships are Excelsior and Ambassador.

What?! Ok then! That is way bad...
  • Options
    > @qultuq said:
    > > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > > They accidentally showed it on the launcher earlier today (and later removed it). The 2 KDF ships are BOP and Vorcha and the 2 Fed ships are Excelsior and Ambassador.
    >
    > What?! Ok then! That is way bad...

Yeah, well, they're catching hell for it on Reddit. I sometimes wonder if companies - particularly software companies - artificially generate controversy like this under the assumption that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Yeah, well, they're catching hell for it on Reddit. I sometimes wonder if companies - particularly software companies - artificially generate controversy like this under the assumption that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Considering how often Blizzard, Cryptic, EA, etc. ticks off their player base, I think that's a safe assumption.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    Honestly, I'm not supersized by this. The romulan bundle only had one ship, which didn't even have a proper name, from picard. No scimitar even though it was a central point to a movie, no d'deredex even though every time a romulan showed up in TNG it was in one of these ships, and no mogai/valdor. What i'm trying to say is i half expected to only be getting 2 ships from this klingon bundle anyway, but to include two more federation ships. I feel insulted, and i don't even really play the KDF side.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I'm not as angry or upset about this as much as I'm just disappointed.

Cryptic's attitude towards anything Klingon is as apparent during this recruitment event as any time before with the lesser-than rewarding versus previous recruitment events so diluting a "Klingon Legend" bundle with Fed ships, T6 ship coupons, & lots of little fluff at a hyper-inflated price is right in Cryptic's wheelhouse.

I'm sure a certain amount of players will buy this & that's what matters to Cryptic, not our playing nor enjoying the game.

"Let them eat cake."
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Well, the mirror Gal-X was the only legendary pack that really felt priced reasonably...on sale at 45$...ouch. It is funny how this looks reasonable in retrospect.

They must be trying to see how much they can get away with charging. I really don’t see this being successful among regular players.

Then again, STO’s player base is probably older than many online games...certainly returning players or new players could get some value from this pack even at this price.

And maybe that is the point. Maybe the metrics are saying this is not geared for legacy players. The legacy player legendary ships will get released when all the fresh suckers have moved on to other games.

I actually hope this doesn’t sell. And I hate to say that, because I like this game, and hope it makes Cryptic money.

I don’t want it to sell because selling 4 (maybe, maybe 6 ships) at the 25% off-price is a dangerous precedent for a game that already has a high price tag...

I get you don’t need to buy anything to enjoy STO. And the game is generous with what it gives out. And anyone who has been playing this for the better part of a decade is well beyond needs anyway.

Oh well. Even though I do like the ships, I would have a bad case buyer’s remorse.

Kael did say people who don’t like this pack may prefer the next one. Maybe a single B’rel or D7 or, hell, even a Vorcha at 60$ would feel better than 200$ for 2 ships that I already have T6 versions of...

So please, please only charge me 60$ for 1 ship instead of 240$ for 4, right?!

It seems funny, because it seems unrealistic. But the more of us who give in to these little battles—the quicker the 60$ “legendary” standard will begin to sound less funny—more realistic—and maybe, maybe even reasonable.
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Very frustrating that I can't get the one ship i would like, the B'rel, and not have to buy a whole $250 pack to get it. Hard pass.

It's the price I cannot wrap my head around. The Fed bundle was, what, 10 ships for $250? That's a big chunk of change for most people (ESPECIALLY in the middle of a pandemic. Look, I know that Cryptic has employees with mouths to feed, too, but there's a difference between 'value' and 'gouging'), but a lot of us bought it because we saw some value in the deal. Plus, it had some BIG HITTERS that people really lust after, like the legendary Connie and legendary Defiant, etc.

But this? This is a freaking wasteland by comparison. This is like future "Nevada waterfront property" from 1978's Superman, except there isn't going to be any earthquake. I'm not buying a parcel of nothing, Cryptic, and most people aren't, either.

$250 is literally the price of 4 triple A game titles. Think of how much more value you would get out of buying 4 games like Doom Eternal and Horizon Zero Dawn than this pack.
  • Options
    tidetogo1tidetogo1 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Very frustrating that I can't get the one ship i would like, the B'rel, and not have to buy a whole $250 pack to get it. Hard pass.

It's the price I cannot wrap my head around. The Fed bundle was, what, 10 ships for $250? That's a big chunk of change for most people (ESPECIALLY in the middle of a pandemic. Look, I know that Cryptic has employees with mouths to feed, too, but there's a difference between 'value' and 'gouging'), but a lot of us bought it because we saw some value in the deal. Plus, it had some BIG HITTERS that people really lust after, like the legendary Connie and legendary Defiant, etc.

But this? This is a freaking wasteland by comparison. This is like future "Nevada waterfront property" from 1978's Superman, except there isn't going to be any earthquake. I'm not buying a parcel of nothing, Cryptic, and most people aren't, either.

$250 is literally the price of 4 triple A game titles. Think of how much more value you would get out of buying 4 games like Doom Eternal and Horizon Zero Dawn than this pack.

Or if you want to keep with MMOs, that's 16 months of FF XIV
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    There is also the fact that unlike the Legendary Fed pack, it seems NONE of the 4 ships in the pack have new models/hull material. IIRC, all ships had either a 25th century and/or Excelsior-like model, or small tweaks to the existing models like the Sovereign and Donnie.

You could argue the Ambassador got one, but it has already dropped for free.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    There is also the fact that unlike the Legendary Fed pack, it seems NONE of the 4 ships in the pack have new models/hull material. IIRC, all ships had either a 25th century and/or Excelsior-like model, or small tweaks to the existing models like the Sovereign and Donnie.

You could argue the Ambassador got one, but it has already dropped for free.

The Excelsior has a new Legendary Hull Material that leaked a while back. It just hasn't been 'officially announced' yet.

The Ambassador just got one as well so it's no real surprise that only the Klingon Ships don't appear to have new hull materials. We will see but it's possible that they just haven't been announced yet.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    poddlipoddli Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    No D7. Lacklustre B'rel. The price. Those things I'm disappointed with. The rest? Behold the field wherein I grow my TRIBBLEs, yea verily, tis barren.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    As I said in another Thread on this, this 'Bundle' should be the Premium Version like they had for the 10th Anniversary. The Ship (only) Bundle would be priced at 2/3 the Premium Bundle price or 16,500 Zen. Then even if they used the rather pathetic 25% discount, this pack would be on sale for 12,375 Zen. Remember also, that NONE of these ships are Lobi Store/ Lockbox/Promo Ships like some in the 10rh Anniversary Bundle. These are all based on C-Store Ships.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    As I said in another Thread on this, this 'Bundle' should be the Premium Version like they had for the 10th Anniversary. The Ship (only) Bundle would be priced at 2/3 the Premium Bundle price or 16,500 Zen. Then even if they used the rather pathetic 25% discount, this pack would be on sale for 12,375 Zen. Remember also, that NONE of these ships are Lobi Store/ Lockbox/Promo Ships like some in the 10rh Anniversary Bundle. These are all based on C-Store Ships.

I would pay 120 for the ships. It wouldn't be a bargain, but it would at least be palatable.
This discussion has been closed.