test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Account Falsely Banned (Resolved)

Comments

• xgnxlentgamer02xgnxlentgamer02 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    In cases of chargebacks...sure. But this wasn't a chargeback...it was a REFUND that was agreed upon by the company.
    Yes, but the process of charging back triggers an automated ban response in most games. Pre-approved or not. And I've seen this same thing happen in other MMOs, even in pre-approved refund situations, because the process is generally automatic.

Once again, you play some TRIBBLE MMOs...because I haven't had this issue with APPROVED REFUNDS in any other MMO. Hell, even in cases of a bank flagging transactions and doing an automated stop payment I do not get banned. I get an e-mail saying that the transaction was stopped by the bank and to please clear it within 3 days or get banned. And in the cases where I miss the e-mail and get banned, I can contact a GM or support agent within HOURS to get the funds to them and get unbanned. Not DAYS. Almost like real game companies WANT your money and makes it easy for you or something. Obviously Cryptic does not with how they are behaving lately. They need to clean their FoH before it drives them out of business.

The issue is that I requested a refund through a third party since a third party is initially what I paid with.
    Once again, you play some TRIBBLE MMOs...because I haven't had this issue with APPROVED REFUNDS in any other MMO. Hell, even in cases of a bank flagging transactions and doing an automated stop payment I do not get banned. I get an e-mail saying that the transaction was stopped by the bank and to please clear it within 3 days or get banned. And in the cases where I miss the e-mail and get banned, I can contact a GM or support agent within HOURS to get the funds to them and get unbanned. Not DAYS. Almost like real game companies WANT your money and makes it easy for you or something. Obviously Cryptic does not with how they are behaving lately. They need to clean their FoH before it drives them out of business.
    I've seen, or heard, about this happening with everything from STO(obviously), Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, WoW, ESO. Pretty much every single popular/large MMO has had this problem several times. I've heard about this happening on the Korean grinders you have praised previously. Even more so then the other MMOs I listed above there because they are obsessed with wringing every last dollar out of players they can, and asking for money back is essentially a sin to their business model.

Your doom saying of this driving Cryptic out of business is also sheer nonsense, and totally laughable. Look at all that bad press they got from it(one small article on a website that is mocked for just ripping Reddit threads). As is your constant need to call some of the largest, and most popular, MMOs out there whatever word got filtered to tribble(unless you were actually using tribble), instead of actually making a rational argument.
    The issue is that I requested a refund through a third party since a third party is initially what I paid with.
    This certainly threw a wrench in the works. Its why I tend to avoid buying MMO currency, in the rare instances I do, via Steam. Payments for MMOs are always more messy via Steam, and trying to get refunds for MMOs, with purchases made via Steam, can be a nightmare.

It's not like I was UNWILLING to pay for it. In the initial ticket, I said I was willing to pay the $50 as long as I got my bonus Zen.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    In cases of chargebacks...sure. But this wasn't a chargeback...it was a REFUND that was agreed upon by the company.
    Yes, but the process of charging back triggers an automated ban response in most games. Pre-approved or not. And I've seen this same thing happen in other MMOs, even in pre-approved refund situations, because the process is generally automatic.

Oh...yeah that is gonna cause a problem unfortunately.

Yeah, I agree.. I thought the user said he paid for the Zen, but now it seems that he did indeed do a charge back meaning he paid nothing. If he did a charge back, they probably aren’t going to help him.. hopefully, I am wrong.
    Insert witty signature line here.

Yeah, I agree.. I thought the user said he paid for the Zen, but now it seems that he did indeed do a charge back meaning he paid nothing. If he did a charge back, they probably aren’t going to help him.. hopefully, I am wrong.

Holy TRIBBLE please read my OP...I requested a refund from Steam, it got accepted, and then I paid $50 BACK through ARC.

Holy TRIBBLE please read my OP...I requested a refund from Steam, it got accepted, and then I paid $50 BACK through ARC.

Unfortunately, Steam okaying a refund is not the same as Cryptic okaying the refund. So, like I said, that is gonna cause a problem. That is actually a lot less of the fault of Cryptic because all they will see is that Steam did a chargeback and they did not know anything about your situation as you dealt with Steam and not Cryptic/PWE as well. When you do ANY refunds through Steam, unless you are absolutely done with the game, you need to also be keeping in touch with the company that is publishing through Steam as well. Or just don't do any MMOs or micro transaction games through Steam. I just assumed you were keeping Cryptic abreast of what you were doing as well...I guess I fell into the you know what happens when you assume. Oh well. But yeah...you could be royally frakked. You should complain to Steam...and if Steam DID contact Cryptic on your behalf of what happened, you need to ask them to send you the paper trail for that as well. That will help you get your account back if you have proof that Cryptic was notified of your situation.

...Cryptic told me nothing about an account ban ensuing a refund and they seemed okay with it too.
    edited January 2021

1. Calm the TRIBBLE down. Your situation is messy and hard to understand and that's YOUR fault.
    2. You requested Steam refund instead of waiting for PWE to refund you. That is a charge back, and that triggers an account ban.
    3. You then paid $50 again, but this was after your chargeback. It can take up to 7 days for a retailer to be notified of a chargeback so that's why it took a while to ban you.

Doesn't matter if you did it through Steam or through your bank, you did a charge back which will get you banned from any online retailer. I used to work for an online software company and I worked with Merchant Services, our policy was exactly the same and industry standard. If you do a charge back before we can issue the refund, we would no longer do business with you. Online retailers are the same way, you do a chargeback you're banned.

Now, PWE can of course review each individual situation and decide rather or not a reversal is in order and it sounds like that is what they're doing here. Your snapping at me won't fix your problem so chill out.. this is all because YOU messed up. People here are trying to help you and hopefully PWE will see your side of it but being a TRIBBLE on the forums isn't going to help you. Your situation is complex and you didn't explain it nearly as well as you seem to think you did.

1. Calm the TRIBBLE down. Your situation is messy and hard to understand and that's YOUR fault.
    2. You requested Steam refund instead of waiting for PWE to refund you. That is a charge back, and that triggers an account ban.
    3. You then paid $50 again, but this was after your chargeback. It can take up to 7 days for a retailer to be notified of a chargeback so that's why it took a while to ban you.

Doesn't matter if you did it through Steam or through your bank, you did a charge back which will get you banned from any online retailer. I used to work for an online software company and I worked with Merchant Services, our policy was exactly the same and industry standard. If you do a charge back before we can issue the refund, we would no longer do business with you. Online retailers are the same way, you do a chargeback you're banned.

Now, PWE can of course review each individual situation and decide rather or not a reversal is in order and it sounds like that is what they're doing here. Your snapping at me won't fix your problem so chill out.. this is all because YOU messed up. People here are trying to help you and hopefully PWE will see your side of it but being a TRIBBLE on the forums isn't going to help you. Your situation is complex and you didn't explain it nearly as well as you seem to think you did.

Yeah I did mess up! And I'm sorry for that, but how is it my fault that nobody told me that I'd need to charge through Arc rather than Steam to get the bonus? Nowhere in the announcement did it say that. You can go look for yourself.

Yeah I did mess up! And I'm sorry for that, but how is it my fault that nobody told me that I'd need to charge through Arc rather than Steam to get the bonus? Nowhere in the announcement did it say that. You can go look for yourself.

Fair enough, I still hope you're able to get back in game. Hopefully, you hear something back soon. :smile:

Unfortunately, Steam okaying a refund is not the same as Cryptic okaying the refund. So, like I said, that is gonna cause a problem. That is actually a lot less of the fault of Cryptic because all they will see is that Steam did a chargeback and they did not know anything about your situation as you dealt with Steam and not Cryptic/PWE as well. When you do ANY refunds through Steam, unless you are absolutely done with the game, you need to also be keeping in touch with the company that is publishing through Steam as well. Or just don't do any MMOs or micro transaction games through Steam. I just assumed you were keeping Cryptic abreast of what you were doing as well...I guess I fell into the you know what happens when you assume. Oh well. But yeah...you could be royally frakked. You should complain to Steam...and if Steam DID contact Cryptic on your behalf of what happened, you need to ask them to send you the paper trail for that as well. That will help you get your account back if you have proof that Cryptic was notified of your situation.

...Cryptic told me nothing about an account ban ensuing a refund and they seemed okay with it too.

So you DID get in touch with Cryptic than? Or did they get in touch with you? No seriously, your story is confusing and seems to be all over the place. It makes it hard to give advice when we literally have no idea what happened.

I have a ticket open with them right now. I'm explaining the situation. I told them Steam got me my refund, and I told them I paid it back using Arc on the 29th.
    edited January 2021
    Than, your ENTIRE post was worthless.
    I was just pointing out that your notion that Cryptic is somehow going to go out of business for running into issues that literally every MMO runs into is a silly hyperbole.

I've also yet to see it make any noteworthy news. Its not on MMORPG.com. I've seen zero significant YouTubers talk about it. Typing Star Trek Online into Google gives nothing. Hell, the only YouTube video I've seen of it is one posted on reddit from a guy with sub 30k subs. And even in that thread many people are like "he's blowing it out of proportion".

Once again...NOT EVERY MMO. Just the TRIBBLE ones you play it seems...because EVERY BAD THING that Cryptic does somehow EVERY OTHER MMO somehow magically does as well and somehow BECOMES industry standard according to you. For the rest of the world, this is NOT the case. And honestly, your continued use of this tired defense of Cryptic is getting old. NOBODY believes you any more when KOREAN GRINDERS that are COMPLETELY PREDITORY do a better job...get some new material. Now the OPs situation seems to have been really muddled as his story seems to change depending on which hour it is between doing a chargeback through steam or getting a refund through PWE/ARC/Cryptic. BUT LITERALLY I HAVE NEVER HAD AN MMO BAN ME FOR A REFUND THEY AGREED TO. And doing so is INDEFENSIBLE. Chargeback...yeah, that is auto ban obviously. And MMObytes has only 30 subs...huh...news to me...could have sworn he was near 300k...not 30k. And how many is many again? Is it 10 out of 500 comments? Because I'm gonna say MOST of the comments on there is negative and AGAINST what Cryptic did.

Yeah what happened was I opened a ticket with Cryptic, asked for a refund or my bonus Zen, they said they could provide neither. I asked them where I needed to go to get my refund, and they said Steam. They said they had limited control over purchases that come through from Steam and I'd need to ask them, so I did. I even told them that I'd be willing to pay $50 to get my bonus.

No where ANYWHERE in the ticket did they inform me that my account would be banned if I attempted a refund. Steam told me there could be "negative impact" but I didn't think it'd get THIS BAD. And even in the ticket from the final response requesting a refund from Arc, they seemed pretty chill with it. They seemed to understand why I was requesting my refund.
    Post edited by xgnxlentgamer02 on

So you DID get in touch with Cryptic than? Or did they get in touch with you? No seriously, your story is confusing and seems to be all over the place. It makes it hard to give advice when we literally have no idea what happened.

I have a ticket open with them right now. I'm explaining the situation. I told them Steam got me my refund, and I told them I paid it back using Arc on the 29th.

So did you open this BEFORE or AFTER the chargeback from Steam? Did Cryptic say the refund was okay BEFORE or AFTER Steam gave you your money back? Because if this is all AFTER actions with Steam, what you did was a chargeback. Which is why you got auto banned...and rightly so. Seriously...the precise order of when you did things and when the replies came in is IMPORTANT here. The fact that you have open ticket is rather meaningless and I have no idea why you answered with that. You seem to be hiding information...and that isn't helping. Could be you really frakked up...but is you admitting that so bad that you don't want proper help? If you are not doing this on purpose and you are just a TRIBBLE communicator...okay, then we can do this the utterly painfully way and make you do through step by step of what you did and what the replies were in order...but I don't think that is the case. You seem to be cherry picking responses for questions asked with not the whole story to try and paint this as not even one iota your fault. That isn't helping. We literally can't help you when you lie to us.

When I requested my chargeback, the first person I went to was Cryptic. They said they could not provide it and that I needed to open a ticket with Steam. I opened my ticket with Steam. They gave me my chargeback and as I've stated, Cryptic seemed okay with it. They never told me it's not recommended to do it or I would get banned for it. Cryptic never said the refund was "okay", they simply said they understood the issue and they didn't really try to stop me or warn me of consequences.
    Than, your ENTIRE post was worthless.
    I was just pointing out that your notion that Cryptic is somehow going to go out of business for running into issues that literally every MMO runs into is a silly hyperbole.

I've also yet to see it make any noteworthy news. Its not on MMORPG.com. I've seen zero significant YouTubers talk about it. Typing Star Trek Online into Google gives nothing. Hell, the only YouTube video I've seen of it is one posted on reddit from a guy with sub 30k subs. And even in that thread many people are like "he's blowing it out of proportion".

Once again...NOT EVERY MMO. Just the TRIBBLE ones you play it seems...because EVERY BAD THING that Cryptic does somehow EVERY OTHER MMO somehow magically does as well and somehow BECOMES industry standard according to you. For the rest of the world, this is NOT the case. And honestly, your continued use of this tired defense of Cryptic is getting old. NOBODY believes you any more when KOREAN GRINDERS that are COMPLETELY PREDITORY do a better job...get some new material. Now the OPs situation seems to have been really muddled as his story seems to change depending on which hour it is between doing a chargeback through steam or getting a refund through PWE/ARC/Cryptic. BUT LITERALLY I HAVE NEVER HAD AN MMO BAN ME FOR A REFUND THEY AGREED TO. And doing so is INDEFENSIBLE. Chargeback...yeah, that is auto ban obviously. And MMObytes has only 30 subs...huh...news to me...could have sworn he was near 300k...not 30k. And how many is many again? Is it 10 out of 500 comments? Because I'm gonna say MOST of the comments on there is negative and AGAINST what Cryptic did.

Yeah what happened was I opened a ticket with Cryptic, asked for a refund or my bonus Zen, they said they could provide neither. I asked them where I needed to go to get my refund, and they said Steam. They said they had limited control over purchases that come through from Steam and I'd need to ask them, so I did. I even told them that I'd be willing to pay $50 to get my bonus. After a bit of back and forth, this was the final message they had sent after I told them Steam had granted my refund request:

No where ANYWHERE in the ticket did they inform me that my account would be banned if I attempted a refund. Steam told me there could be "negative impact" but I didn't think it'd get THIS BAD. And even in the ticket from the final response requesting a refund from Arc, they seemed pretty chill with it. They seemed to understand why I was requesting my refund.

Okay...so that is a refund then. Technically, you are not allowed to post that correspondence so you should remove that. But yes, you contacted Cryptic, they gave you the instruction for the refund...and so yes, this is on them. I'd start a reddit thread...or tag on the one that is already there...or both. Contact MMObytes and Yongyea and anyone else that talks about MMOs on youtube with what is happening. Raise some hell. Also...might wanna learn to post more clearly. The way you posted things is confusing as all hell. If you need help, get a friend to help you when you post on reddit or contact people.

Reddit thread is already up and running. I'm not sure how I could have explained it any more clearly. This is an insanely confusing scenario that could have been avoided if the community announcement for the promotion specified that you needed to use Arc to pay, not Steam.
    edited January 2021

(Accidental self quote).
This discussion has been closed.