test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The current (And flawed) PvP-System: I hope this is allowed here!

nathankomarannathankomaran Member Posts: 56 Arc User
Uhm...Hiyo!

S'mee again. Listen, I know it's the bitter (Or not bitter) end of 2020, and I'm sure the developers have grand plans for 2021. But, before they introduce any of them into the game, I'd like to call everyone's attention to the current PvP-System, and how I feel it's flawed in several ways. Thus, let me explain the finer details concerning it...

1: ...And most importantly, when it comes down to PvP, there seem to be no rules or guidelines governing it whatsoever! Essentially, anything is allowed, which unfortunately includes such under-handed and shady methods like cheats and hacks, which may either increase the stats of those participants who use it, alter their existing stats and/or skills (Like shield-hardness), or any other cheat or hack. These give them an unfair advantage over their opponents. <---- This makes the odds of attempting to win any PvP Match next to impossible for anyone who happens to be playing legitimately, and ultimately sucks the fun out of it. In one very recent space PvP Match between me, two other players on my team, and one of my Fleet Leaders, the leader outright dominated the 3 of us, using the speed of his ship, the weapons he had on it, and God only knows which hacks and/or cheats against us! And when I tried to ask him about his build on Discord, he got all defensive and angrily stated quote: “I don't have time for games on this TRIBBLE, if you don't want to see the build in a doc then don't look at it. If you are suggesting I cheat somehow, I don't have time to TRIBBLE around with TRIBBLE questioning. You either trust an armada mate at what they can do or not, You invited me not the other way around, I have nothing to prove here.” ...And this is after he claimed on 12/24/2020
“in my build speed = defense and people missing, and then I have a temp hull point build to survive the attack run ins
if my elachis proc I get 100% shield pen and only eally need to crit once or twice to dump people
so to answer your questiojn I fly around for a target, whe I get one I run in and if I get lucky they pop, if I don't I decide whether to press the attack or run out to 9km and run in again is all
the speed and tur rate is such I can turn within a ship's hull size most of the time
the key is staying in rear arcs if I can, that way 2-4 weapons can only come to bear and most miss
most of the time I am not clicking any special consoles to help with damage, since I am too busy flying cricles around people
If someone actually poses a real threat or otherwise pisses me off I click TRIBBLE in concert with CD on BO3 and dump that dude if I can” <---- What in blue blazes is this guy talking about here? And how can one player have a perfect combination of attacking power, defensive power, speed, and healing power, and still be able to completely dominate 3 other players in a match at once!?
Thus, a kind of anti-cheat/anti-hack detection-system needs to be implemented...And soon!

2: Certain weapons, modules, and other items appear to have certain...How do I say? Advantages in their modifiers, which makes using them (In and out of PvP) far more favorable for many players than other weapons of other energy and/or kinetic damage types. For example: The Elachi Disruptor weapons come with a small, but significant 2.5% Chance to inflict...Wait for it...: +50 Armor Penentration and 100% Shield Penetration! <---- By Jove!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a HUGE difference from the measly [Pen] modifier, which has a chance to apply to any kind of weapon, regardless of the type of damage it does, and where with it, all attacks with this weapon ignore 10 Armor Rating. Such a powerful weapon (The Elachi Disruptor) should not be allowed to inflict the full effect of its 'Proc' in a PvP Match. I understand some items can (And should be) at least somewhat more powerful than others. Here, the solution is simple: Lower the percentage of the Elachi Disruptor weapons' Proc, so they have only a 20% Shield Penetration and +10 Armor Penentration in PvP. In PvE, this doesn't really matter, as long as a player is fighting solo against NPC mobs. But if they're fighting alongside other players and say, hogging up all the kills, this is another thing. And not a good one, either. Thus, my suggested 20% Shield Penetration and +10 Armor Penentration for the Elachi Disruptors also needs to be applied in any PvE situations, like TFOs, where there is more than one player involved. By doing this, we discourage most players from using just one specific type of weapon over all others, while encouraging diversity.

3: And speaking of weapon-modifiers, I seem to recall someone in Zone Chat stating damage (I.E. the DMG modifier) is everything these days. Does this mean every. Single. Modifier on a weapon should be set to DMG and ignore all the other modifiers!? Because, if this is true, then once again, it introduces a dull, one-sided monotony into a group of items, which, for all intents and purposes, ought to be diverse. Thus, my solution to this problem would be to implement a repeater's penalty for every modifier of the same type used more than say...Twice on a weapon. And yesh, this would also include the 5th unique say Acc/Dmg modifiers found when upgrading a weapon to Epic-Rarity. For instance, if one already has two Dmg modifiers on a weapon in total, then adding a 3rd Dmg modifier could place a -25% Accuracy (Acc) debuff on this weapon. A fourth Dmg modifier could put a -10% Critical Damage (CrtD) debuff on the weapon. And so on...

Whew! All I've said here turned into a mouthful! But by this time, hopefully, you understand the binds I've been finding myself in. As I've pointed out, my main issue is with the current PvP System and its obvious no-rules flaws contained within it. So, if you agree with me on all this, please let me know. Cheers! ~X
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    A. Calling people out by name is frowned upon here.
    B. What you stated in your first paragraph isn't a cheat. Everything you mentioned is perfectly able to be achieved in-game, via normal means.
    C. Cryptic has already mentioned the game was never set up to have separate PVE/PVP stats for items. So they can't make an item have different stats in PVP then it does PVE.
    D. The vast majority of STO's playerbase doesn't care about PVP, so Cryptic has little desire to work on it.

1: I edited the username of the person out so it wouldn't be calling him out by name.
    2: If everything I mentioned is perfectly able to be achieved in-game, via normal means, then by all means, tell me how I can achieve the same results, and I'll gladly put them to the test.
    3: Wasn't there a time when Cryptic actually did have separate PVE/PVP stats for items, but most of them had been removed from the game after a certain Season was released?
    4: If the vast majority of STO's playerbase doesn't care about PVP, then how many players actually go for it? And if Cryptic has little desire to work on improving the PVP-system, then why don't they simply remove it and give us back something similar to The Foundry or a method where we can test our builds on NPC's, who are designed to act like players?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    My 2 ECs on the weapons...

The only reason to favor any modifier over another to that degree is if you're chasing the current meta for DPS. Any damage type will work, its just that some have more support than others in terms of set pieces. Some modifiers are more desirable than others, but utimately if YOU feel something works better with your build, go for it. If you have a high crit chance, why not go for some crit severity to take advantage of it?

I had a friend who once said that my 6 old VR [Acc]x3 Phaser arrays were a PvPers nightmare. Sure I'm not doing as much damage as I could, but dang if I ain't hitting a LOT more often. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    2: If everything I mentioned is perfectly able to be achieved in-game, via normal means, then by all means, tell me how I can achieve the same results, and I'll gladly put them to the test.
    Spend a lot of money on C-store/lockbox/lobi ships, traits, consoles, etc. You would have to ask that person specifically what build they have. Which, based on what you said in the OP they presented. <---- I already have a decent amount of C-store/lockbox/lobi ships, consoles, etc. And if you can, please specify what you mean on what build a player has. How many different kinds of these 'builds' are there in-game? And is there one 'most-popular' build or a couple? Or even a few? Or are there many countless builds available to suit the needs of each individual player?
    3: Wasn't there a time when Cryptic actually did have separate PVE/PVP stats for items, but most of them had been removed from the game after a certain Season was released?
    Not that I recall. <---- No comment needed here.
    4: If the vast majority of STO's playerbase doesn't care about PVP, then how many players actually go for it? And if Cryptic has little desire to work on improving the PVP-system, then why don't they simply remove it and give us back something similar to The Foundry or a method where we can test our builds on NPC's, who are designed to act like players?
    The Foundry was removed because it was broken. The PVP system is massively unbalanced, but its still functional, so there is no reason to remove it. And removing the PVP system isn't going to somehow free up time or resources to make a new Foundry, nor would it solve the fundamental problem an Foundry like system would have in an MMO environment. <---- How was The Foundry broken? I played through a few Foundry Missions, and most of those worked perfectly-fine for me. And why wouldn't removing the PVP system (Or any other unbalanced aspect of the game) free up time or resources to make a new Foundry or any kind of new in-game feature? Have you personally worked alongside Cryptic Studios and come to figure this out?

Also, there is a DPS testing system on the tribble server.
    <---- Please state the nature of how I can access the DPS testing system on the tribble server. As one who is not only at the ultimate-maximum level and has maximum-rarity of two different weapon types, a maxed-out T6 ship, maximum Reputation-Traits, a damn good item set on space and ground, and to many other maximum things to name here (Like my near-maximum Endeavor Rank), I feel it's my right to know how to access the DPS testing system. This way, I can easily tweak my build (If I even have a proper build to start with).

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I believe that Cryptic was trying to set up one of the systems in Tau Dewa sector to be a DPS testing zone. One that had a Fed Starbase in it. Ultimately I believe they intend to bring it over to Holodeck once they're happy with it so that everyone could use it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    Please state the nature of how I can access the DPS testing system on the tribble server
    Just go to Drozana station and find the console on the far wall across from the bank.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    A. Calling people out by name is frowned upon here.
    B. What you stated in your first paragraph isn't a cheat. Everything you mentioned is perfectly able to be achieved in-game, via normal means.
    C. Cryptic has already mentioned the game was never set up to have separate PVE/PVP stats for items. So they can't make an item have different stats in PVP then it does PVE.
    D. The vast majority of STO's playerbase doesn't care about PVP, so Cryptic has little desire to work on it.

1: I edited the username of the person out so it wouldn't be calling him out by name.

2. you have to work for them. I'd start with the DPS league.
    3. no, never. in fact there was a very brief period where you could change the color of your weapons, and that ability was removed because of PVP.
    4. PVP was the thing to be Klingon. they wondered why there were not that many KDF players, and bthey figured out it was because you had to level doing PVP. that was changed and Cryptic began to let PVP sdlid into the grave where it remains.
    5. how may players PVP? I doubt you could get an accurate number, but I'd guess in the 1-2% mark.

and just as an aside, calling your fleet leader a cheater?? not good Karma. I'm waiting anxiously about how your Evil Fleet dumped you to the curb and you were such a stellar fleet member.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I believe that Cryptic was trying to set up one of the systems in Tau Dewa sector to be a DPS testing zone. One that had a Fed Starbase in it. Ultimately I believe they intend to bring it over to Holodeck once they're happy with it so that everyone could use it.

starbase 234 I think? I've used it to parse once in a while. don't think it is accurate with space magic on a big target though
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    There are no cheats in the game
  • Options
    murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    I'm the world #1 PVP hater, but also a fair person so as long doesn't drawn me to it, I don't care if the game have pvp or not.

On the topic, the solution for pvp is very simple, only shuttles with 2 foward weapons and one aft weapon, no consoles, no modules, no device slots. The only differential would be the traits you choose to put as active and the skills you trained (eng/tac/sci).
    IInLzhi.gif
This discussion has been closed.