test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Haloween / Friday 13th mission

alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
Can we please get a new mission for haloween and friday 13th?

Hearts and minds is promoted every time as bone chilling and exciting, but it's far from that. It's even called boring by many players.
I for one don't even bother playing that mission anymore for years.

Every time there's a announchment, 95% of the replies are calling 'What lies beneath' as way better mission for haloween.
I agree with that as well. 'What lies beneath' can be really chilling and exciting to play, with the 'bonnie-kin' voice overs.

Would it be really that hard to make a replacement mission that can be really exciting and bone-chilling, as a replacement for 'Hearts and minds'?
Post edited by alexanderb#7559 on

Comments

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,463 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    They intended to have a new Halloween event this year but with COVID-19 and all the schedule shuffling that had to be done due to that since most people are working from home, it will probably happen in 2021 according to the recent livestreams. The episode and/or event would be based on the TOS episode Catspaw.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • tripwire690tripwire690 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    sthe91 wrote: »
    They intended to have a new Halloween event this year but with COVID-19 and all shuffling that had to be done due to that, it will probably happen in 2021 according to the recent livestreams. The episode and/or event would be based on the TOS episode Catspaw.

There is always a damn excuse for this development team. They've had 10 years to do something different for the Holilday Events, the Anniversary Events and this one. And so many players on the forum think they are actually going to improve things? They are too busy coming up with more ways to make you spend more time in game or expedite that time through money than making quality of life changes that every player can appreciate and agree on.

I agree with the original poster. Revamp Halloween and all holiday events Cryptic. Dedicate your team to at the VERY MINIMUM adding ONE new feature to these events each year. If your team cannot do that then obviously it is an issue of management which would'nt really be suprising to most players. And communicate AT MINIMUM that you have a gameplan or hear the community.
    Post edited by tripwire690 on
    starfleet_department_of_temporal_investigations_by_gazomg-da64jys.jpg

Let no other Captain discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Debuffs and Disables be damned! Charge up your Backstep and Forge your build out of Lock Boxes, Consoles, and Flash Sales feeding off of only your pure will to chain, spam, and hax your way forward. You will not be forgotten to history.
  • mechaczmechacz Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    My thougts exactly. Why not give 'What Lies Beneath' event reward instead. This mission is very short and not scary at all.
  • zepheris#4678 zepheris Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I've never done this mission before. All i got was 550 Dilithium and 15 marks, is that the only reward?
    edited November 2020
    They intended to have a new Halloween event this year but with COVID-19 and all shuffling that had to be done due to that, it will probably happen in 2021 according to the recent livestreams. The episode and/or event would be based on the TOS episode Catspaw.

There is always a damn excuse for this development team. They've had 10 years to do something different for the Holiday Events, the Anniversary Events and this one. And so many players on the forum think they are actually going to improve things? They are too busy coming up with more ways to make you spend more time in game or expedite that time through money than making quality of life changes that every player can appreciate and agree on.

I agree with the original poster. Revamp Halloween and all holiday events Cryptic. Dedicate your team to at the VERY MINIMUM adding ONE new feature to these events each year. If your team cannot do that then obviously it is an issue of management which wouldn't really be surprising to most players. And communicate AT MINIMUM that you have a game plan or hear the community.

It is a reason not an excuse. They are improving things, I see more progress this year than when I became a STO player in 2013, things are changing just not as fast as some folks would want. I suggest you check out the Twitch stream with the QA lead on Fridays as well as the Ten Forward Weekly on Wednesdays usually. You seem to not realize that if COVID-19 had not happened, we most likely would have had the new Halloween Event this year. These things happen in the gaming industry and in life. I also agree with the OP as well as well that this episode should just be added into the game as a stand-alone story instead of putting it in and then taking it out for now until it arrives again on Friday the 13th.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    edited November 2020
    I've never done this mission before. All i got was 550 Dilithium and 15 marks, is that the only reward?

You get a Zombie dance unlocked for your account and a Dr. Sibak DOFF upon completing it for the first time. You get multiple copies of the Dr. Sibak DOFF if you play it more than once.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    You get a Zombie dance unlocked for your account and a Dr. Sibak DOFF upon completing it for the first time.

No, never got the rewards.

It was weird there was another player present in the event completing the puzzles before i got to them.

Maybe it's a solo only reward.

It wouldn't let me do the event a second time, and the Dance(zombie) emote is not present for me.
  • p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2020

I don't believe you get dilithium or marks from completing Hearts and Minds. Are you sure you didn't complete the Donato Patrol "Sentinels" instead?

edited November 2020

There is always a damn excuse for this development team. They've had 10 years to do something different for the Holiday Events, the Anniversary Events and this one. And so many players on the forum think they are actually going to improve things? They are too busy coming up with more ways to make you spend more time in game or expedite that time through money than making quality of life changes that every player can appreciate and agree on.

I agree with the original poster. Revamp Halloween and all holiday events Cryptic. Dedicate your team to at the VERY MINIMUM adding ONE new feature to these events each year. If your team cannot do that then obviously it is an issue of management which wouldn't really be surprising to most players. And communicate AT MINIMUM that you have a game plan or hear the community.

It is a reason not an excuse. They are improving things, I see more progress this year than when I became a STO player in 2013, things are changing just not as fast as some folks would want. I suggest you check out the Twitch stream with the QA lead on Fridays as well as the Ten Forward Weekly on Wednesdays usually. You seem to not realize that if COVID-19 had not happened, we most likely would have had the new Halloween Event this year. These things happen in the gaming industry and in life. I also agree with the OP as well. As well that this episode just be added into the game as a stand-alone story instead of putting it in and then taking it out for now. The next time this will be run again is Friday the 13th.

I'm not saying your specific statement was an excuse but in general players have been making allowances relative to what Cryptic Studios prioritizes over the last 10 years. And many of the complaints or suggestions simply are not new. Cryptic has simply not been responsive enough. We asked for player housing. We got the gimmicky Fleet Starbases. We asked for more content on a regular basis. We got ship sales every week. The fact is even with the OP's suggestion Crytpic could have written a blog saying "Hey we wanted to do this thing but here is where we are...".

It shouldn't be standard practice NOT to inform your players. We don't need details that might spoil whats up and coming. Just a basic idea of whats being worked or focused on right now. If they can find the time to shove a ship sale out every week. They can find the time for regular updates cross platform. On the website. On the forum. On Twitter. On their facebook page. Communication isnt a one size fits all especially not today. They need to go where the players are.

Let no other Captain discourage you from what you believe you can achieve in PvP. Debuffs and Disables be damned! Charge up your Backstep and Forge your build out of Lock Boxes, Consoles, and Flash Sales feeding off of only your pure will to chain, spam, and hax your way forward. You will not be forgotten to history.
    edited November 2020
    p331 wrote: »
    I don't believe you get dilithium or marks from completing Hearts and Minds. Are you sure you didn't complete the Donato Patrol "Sentinels" instead?

Not it was a ground mission, with all the clones on the station.

edited November 2020

It is a reason not an excuse. They are improving things, I see more progress this year than when I became a STO player in 2013, things are changing just not as fast as some folks would want. I suggest you check out the Twitch stream with the QA lead on Fridays as well as the Ten Forward Weekly on Wednesdays usually. You seem to not realize that if COVID-19 had not happened, we most likely would have had the new Halloween Event this year. These things happen in the gaming industry and in life. I also agree with the OP as well. As well that this episode just be added into the game as a stand-alone story instead of putting it in and then taking it out for now. The next time this will be run again is Friday the 13th.

I'm not saying your specific statement was an excuse but in general players have been making allowances relative to what Cryptic Studios prioritizes over the last 10 years. And many of the complaints or suggestions simply are not new. Cryptic has simply not been responsive enough. We asked for player housing. We got the gimmicky Fleet Starbases. We asked for more content on a regular basis. We got ship sales every week. The fact is even with the OP's suggestion Cryptic could have written a blog saying "Hey we wanted to do this thing but here is where we are...".

It shouldn't be standard practice NOT to inform your players. We don't need details that might spoil what's up and coming. Just a basic idea of what's being worked or focused on right now. If they can find the time to shove a ship sale out every week. They can find the time for regular updates cross platform. On the website. On the forum. On Twitter. On their Facebook page. Communication isn't a one size fits all especially not today. They need to go where the players are.

Some of the answers to your questions are found in the FCT 2.0 stickied thread in General Discussion. Remember Star Trek Online is not a democracy or a republic so sadly STO players do not always get what they want in-game. What do you mean by not been responsive enough? As in catering to all the whims of STO players? Also, what do you consider more content? Do you include ships in there in the C-Store, Lockbox, and Lobi Stores or just missions, TFOs, etc.? The big Featured TFO events, the Event Campaign events where you can earn Lobi/free C-Store ship token that are the thing now, and the Red Alert Events that offer an upgrade and a spec point? By regular, what do you mean regular? Every day, every month, every year? These things take time usually months and years to create and with their small development team even more they are not like EA or Blizzard. What do you mean by gimmicky fleet starbases? Which for now, they have stopped making fleet holdings. I do agree that they need to spend more time in the forums and not just social media. Thankfully, the QA lead is actually trying to get more involved in the forums and not just Reddit. That is a good first step.
    edited November 2020
    p331 wrote: »
    I don't believe you get dilithium or marks from completing Hearts and Minds. Are you sure you didn't complete the Donatu Patrol "Sentinels" instead?

Not it was a ground mission, with all the clones on the station.

I believe you receive dilithium from that limited time mission Hearts and Minds but you do not receive marks from it.

I'm not saying your specific statement was an excuse but in general players have been making allowances relative to what Cryptic Studios prioritizes over the last 10 years. And many of the complaints or suggestions simply are not new. Cryptic has simply not been responsive enough. We asked for player housing. We got the gimmicky Fleet Starbases. We asked for more content on a regular basis. We got ship sales every week. The fact is even with the OP's suggestion Cryptic could have written a blog saying "Hey we wanted to do this thing but here is where we are...".

It shouldn't be standard practice NOT to inform your players. We don't need details that might spoil what's up and coming. Just a basic idea of what's being worked or focused on right now. If they can find the time to shove a ship sale out every week. They can find the time for regular updates cross platform. On the website. On the forum. On Twitter. On their Facebook page. Communication isn't a one size fits all especially not today. They need to go where the players are.

Some of the answers to your questions are found in the FCT 2.0 stickied thread in General Discussion. Remember Star Trek Online is not a democracy or a republic so sadly STO players do not always get what they want in-game. What do you mean by not been responsive enough? As in catering to all the whims of STO players? Also, what do you consider more content? Do you include ships in there in the C-Store, Lockbox, and Lobi Stores or just missions, TFOs, etc.? The big Featured TFO events, the Event Campaign events where you can earn Lobi/free C-Store ship token that are the thing now, and the Red Alert Events that offer an upgrade and a spec point? By regular, what do you mean regular? Every day, every month, every year? These things take time usually months and years to create and with their small development team even more they are not like EA or Blizzard. What do you mean by gimmicky fleet starbases? Which for now, they have stopped making fleet holdings. I do agree that they need to spend more time in the forums and not just social media. Thankfully, the QA lead is actually trying to get more involved in the forums and not just Reddit. That is a good first step.

Responsive meaning they do not interact or acknowledge with the players enough. Yes they should cater to our every whim we are the main financial reason they have been around for 10 years. Players who consider ships "content" are just ignorant. While team members should be compensated for producing great work in the form of new ships added to the game that hardly makes the work they've done considerable as content when in fact its nothing more than something else to purchase. Content. As in unique and functional ship bridges for new and all existing ships. Content as in regularly released story based missions at least once every 2 weeks. Content as in regularly updated Seasonal Events like the Halloween Event. Content as in regularly updated Anniversary Events yearly. Content as in regularly updated mission rewards and monthly challenges.

These would be a great start and not just the same old unchanged repeatable content such as the terribly not scary Halloween Mission they try to push out as groundbreaking every year. Also THEY are the reason their Development Team is and has been small. So while you may have sympathy for them I do not in that regard as that is very much by their own design.

And to be clear i'm not directing any of this at you so don't take my response personally please. Its just really frustrating how much more active and interesting this game could be if they would just make some basic quality of life changes to pve, pvp, and social zones while adding player housing in the form of ship bridges.

Daily content has been added in the form of endeavors. Not new stuff to be fair but busy work. A new story mission every 2 weeks would be a step up. Monthly challenges would be a step up. Regularly updated Season Events like this terribly not scary Halloween Event would be a step up. Regularly updated Anniversary Events would be a step up. Any player who thinks purchasing a ship with time or money is content is just ignorant. Developers should definitely get compensation for their work but lets not pretend that adding a purchaseable item to the game isnt anything other than a purchaseable item. NOT CONTENT! New Cash shops are NOT CONTENT. New Sales are NOT CONTENT. Cryptic's Small development team was Cryptic's choice. They're STO Team could very much be larger but they hired more people and split them up to work on other games. Fleet Starbases are not homesteads. They are not player housing. They are resource sinks with unlockable item shops and unique buffs. They take way too long and even after all this time cost way too much to level.

My reply is not a personal attack against you so please don't take it that way. This is a AAA IP. There is no reason the game should not be more widely well recieved than it is now. STO needs regular content updates for PvE, a reimagining of PvP, an increase in NPC Vendors across all Social Zones so players can move away from Starbases to hang out where they really want to like Defera or Kobali Prime. And more unique ship bridges and ship bridge functionality in the form of Player Housing. Which would dramatically improve the value of Ships purchased across the game.

• uliwitnessuliwitness Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    They intended to have a new Halloween event this year but with COVID-19 and all the schedule shuffling that had to be done due to that since most people are working from home, it will probably happen in 2021 according to the recent livestreams. The episode and/or event would be based on the TOS episode Catspaw.

I guess we'll see what we get this October, looking forward to it!
    Every time there's a announchment, 95% of the replies are calling 'What lies beneath' as way better mission for haloween.
    I agree with that as well. 'What lies beneath' can be really chilling and exciting to play, with the 'bonnie-kin' voice overs.

I love What lies Beneath. One of my favorite STO quest lines. I was kinda hoping it would be brought back, like some of the other missions that were shortened to remove some of the grind, and with some TV show actor voice lines added. If that isn't the plan, I hope they recycle some of the plot ideas for the new Cat's paw-inspired mission (I love WLB, but the resolution of the mystery would be much more impressive if it was "the folks from Cat's Paw").
    Cheers,
    -- Uli
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    What Lies Beneath is still in game, it just is under the Available tab and not in the Episode list anymore. Need to be 65 to run it (at least it was that way last time I ran it).
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Masters of this realm unleash your wrath and banish this necro to the nether realm @darkbladejk @wingedhussar#7584 @rattler2
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Away with ye foul zombieness
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.