Options

Water discovered on the Moon

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
Nasa has discovered water on the moon that could lead to deep space travel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70y8ypCbyA&feature=emb_logo

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    unless this is some special kind of water, i don't see how it's going to lead to deep space travel - we already want to do that as it is​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    unless this is some special kind of water, i don't see how it's going to lead to deep space travel - we already want to do that as it is​​
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/nasa-moon-announcement-today-news-water-lunar-surface-wet-b1346311.html
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    What's been found, if further observations bear it out (remember the "phosphine" in the Venusian atmosphere, or the FTL neutrinos?), is a fairly trivial amount of water; it's scientifically interesting because it exists in conditions that should have sublimated the ice in short order, but it's not going to be "the key to deep space". (For that, you probably want the subsurface ocean of water ice in Ceres, or the water ice in Saturn's rings.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    you mean the phosphorous they found barely two weeks ago and that my main go-to for science stuff (isaac arthur) did a video on relating to its involvement in the fermi paradox literally just days before the discovery such that he had to add a last-minute addendum to the video mentioning it?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Phosphine, not phosphorous - you'd expect to find phosphorous, given the fact that it's a rocky planet with a corrosive atmosphere. The phosphine they thought they found generally results from either lab conditions that Venus doesn't enjoy, or biological processes.

Unfortunately, further investigation failed to reproduce the results. It would appear to have resulted from a misreading, kind of like the way the "FTL neutrinos" turned out to be a mismeasurement due to a loose cable. Until further observation backs up the SOFIA data, I'm reserving judgment on that part. However, even if it's there, it's more a scientific curiosity than anything else at this point, as the results don't show a useful amount of water ice.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Phosphine, not phosphorous - you'd expect to find phosphorous, given the fact that it's a rocky planet with a corrosive atmosphere. The phosphine they thought they found generally results from either lab conditions that Venus doesn't enjoy, or biological processes.

Unfortunately, further investigation failed to reproduce the results. It would appear to have resulted from a misreading, kind of like the way the "FTL neutrinos" turned out to be a mismeasurement due to a loose cable. Until further observation backs up the SOFIA data, I'm reserving judgment on that part. However, even if it's there, it's more a scientific curiosity than anything else at this point, as the results don't show a useful amount of water ice.

No, but it does mean that the conditions for liquid water are potentially far more common than usually thought. The possibility for liquid water on a planet with little to no atmosphere has interesting implications for the possibilities of life.
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »

No, but it does mean that the conditions for liquid water are potentially far more common than usually thought. The possibility for liquid water on a planet with little to no atmosphere has interesting implications for the possibilities of life.
    What SOFIA found on the lunar surface (assuming it's borne out by further observation) was water ice, bound into the soil. It's fascinating because it should have sublimated to vapor the moment sunlight hit it, so now we have the fun of figuring out why it didn't, but it's not like you can just pull up in a lunar rover and start dipping (if nothing else, open liquids in vacuum will quickly boil away due to effectively zero pressure). And we already know water ice is plentiful; Ceres is filled with it (and therefore likely other asteroids as well), it makes up the surface of Europa and may well conceal an ocean of liquid water beneath, and it's the main component of Saturn's rings, along with dust. This isn't terribly surprising, though, as water is one of the most common compounds in the universe (hydrogen is the most common element, oxygen isn't exactly rare, and given proximity to one another they will combine, whether you want them to or not).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    hydrogen is the second most common element - stupidity is the most common​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    Stupidity isn't an element, it's a fundamental force, like gravity or sex.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    This is pretty cool for those who want to wash their hands in space one day.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    We'll need to learn how to create a perfect circle of recycle-use of this water though.

Closest we've got is the Biosphere 2 project I think? And as far as I know, that suffered from some serious leaks.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.