test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Customize Transporter Animations (glowy effects & "character call animation") & Mini-game Idea

2»

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I'd like it...at least for special ships like lock box ships for races who have unique transporter animations in game

Having a Starfleet ship use a Dominion transporter on the other hand would be silly. But I use the Ghemor on a character and I'd like a Cardassian transporter effect for it

Technically the transporter effect should be whatever your active ship uses, including using the Dominion transporter effect for Federation (or other) characters who are using a Dominion ship. The problem is that it would complicate stuff quite a bit and probably make map transfers even more iffy than they are now.

Changing it to do that would still take a number of extra database lookups though, to find out what faction your active ship is from (after looking up what that ship even is) which would increase the complexity and delay in map changes that use transporters (which is most of them) instead of a simple table keyed from a stat your character always has available (character faction).

Personally, I too would really like it if they could add in some of the other TOS transporter effects, like the almost silent Klingon/Romulan one (the "fire" type), the TOS mirror universe one (pulsing red and blue patches with a general shift from red at the start to blue at the end), along with other transporter effects they do not have in the game (like the Cardassian one). But again, that would mean more database clutter and activity which is not good for performance, and the lag problem is bad enough already.

Well that's what I mean....go by your active ship. What I said would be a little silly is if you were in say a Galaxy class and you were a Romulan and use a Dominion transporter effect

I think transporter effects should go by the current ship you're using, only problem is there are a few ships/races that don't have unique transporter effects but I guess they can just use faction default.

Would give gamble box ships a little more value since they aren't going to make exclusive bridges anymore.

You'd still have to have a database that tells you what transporter effect goes with what ship and we're talking about thousands of ships here. Not mention this would be database table that would have to be added as NPCs would still use the faction based table, at the moment both PCs and NPCs use the same faction based tables.

What do NPCs have to do with this? Nothing would change for them
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    > @lianthelia said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > What do NPCs have to do with this? Nothing would change for them

True but at this point all characters share the same faction based beaming animation database, so npc would still need to be able to use after players switch to an "active ship" based database, after all for npcs their active ship is "none".
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    We should have customizable transporter animations!
    While I don't really like the idea of a full customization in terms of light effect and colors and whatnot (because ppl WILL abuse that to be as annoying as possible) I would love the transporters to be an visual item that each ship (i.e. all TNG type ships have their factional correct TNG transporters pre-equipped; TOS ships theirs and so on) has and can be swapped. So if you want to have your DIS Constitution with TOS beam effect buy any random TOS ship if you don'T have already and switch the transporter item.

Oh noes, its somewhat coded and will break stuff!!1111

Let the f Cryptic decide about that; its their job, not yours! Its not like they are fully capable already of breaking stuff all by just doing normal additions.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    > @theanothername said:
    > While I don't really like the idea of a full customization in terms of light effect and colors and whatnot (because ppl WILL abuse that to be as annoying as possible) I would love the transporters to be an visual item that each ship (i.e. all TNG type ships have their factional correct TNG transporters pre-equipped; TOS ships theirs and so on) has and can be swapped. So if you want to have your DIS Constitution with TOS beam effect buy any random TOS ship if you don'T have already and switch the transporter item.
    >
    >
    > Oh noes, its somewhat coded and will break stuff!!1111
    >
    > Let the f Cryptic decide about that; its their job, not yours! Its not like they are fully capable already of breaking stuff all by just doing normal additions.

Cryptic has decided and that was their response effectively, we're just messengers.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    > @theanothername said:
    > While I don't really like the idea of a full customization in terms of light effect and colors and whatnot (because ppl WILL abuse that to be as annoying as possible) I would love the transporters to be an visual item that each ship (i.e. all TNG type ships have their factional correct TNG transporters pre-equipped; TOS ships theirs and so on) has and can be swapped. So if you want to have your DIS Constitution with TOS beam effect buy any random TOS ship if you don'T have already and switch the transporter item.
    >
    >
    > Oh noes, its somewhat coded and will break stuff!!1111
    >
    > Let the f Cryptic decide about that; its their job, not yours! Its not like they are fully capable already of breaking stuff all by just doing normal additions.

Cryptic has decided and that was their response effectively, we're just messengers.

You are "merely" a user like me or the OP. And there is always something hardcoded impossible never to be integrated into the game that never will happen until they *surprise* suddenly add it. They don't need any of us worrying about what they can or can't do. They need ideas, whenever they add them or not is not up to the likes of us.

If you want to be of any use say how it will reduce your enjoyment in the game. Not based on wudda, cudda, shudda but on how in case of a flawless implementation that will be bad for your STO entertainment.
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    Back on track please, ladies (& gentlemen). This debate is over the possible immersion utility of cosmetic transporter FX & not walls of code. If this gains traction, and greenlit, I'd like to see the devs given berth to do what they do best. o:)
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    bltrrn wrote: »
    Back on track please, ladies (& gentlemen). This debate is over the possible immersion utility of cosmetic transporter FX & not walls of code. If this gains traction, and greenlit, I'd like to see the devs given berth to do what they do best. o:)

Break the code? You want them to break this game even more than it is now? WTF is wrong with you? Either you are delusional into thinking Cryptic can change hardwired code when even BASIC things like server maint has caused issues or being willfully blind so you can try to push your pet project through...no matter what the negative impact will be on the game.

I don't deny that it would take up a lot of effort, and that it would need to be meticulously implemented. Such an undertaking would require focusing away from other things. I'm okay with that.
    R E M A I N

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I don't care.

I don't deny that it would take up a lot of effort, and that it would need to be meticulously implemented. Such an undertaking would require focusing away from other things. I'm okay with that.

You're okay with them taking time away from more profitable stuff so you can get your custom transporter effects?

I'm not okay with that. Nor do I want custom transporter effects. And a lot of other people don't want them either, judging by the responses who didn't even join your little biased poll. I only chose "I don't care" because there was no "No" option.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    echatty wrote: »

You're okay with them taking time away from more profitable stuff so you can get your custom transporter effects?

I'm not okay with that. Nor do I want custom transporter effects. And a lot of other people don't want them either, judging by the responses who didn't even join your little biased poll. I only chose "I don't care" because there was no "No" option.

Mhmm...
    R E M A I N

This discussion has been closed.