test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vortas

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
Just out of curiosity, but how many of you have vorta toons?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I have several Vortas made with Federation and Romulan "alien" generators.

I have not tried KDF yet because there is even less to work with costume piece wise, though it might be possible use the 23rd century Klingon female uniform top to get something that at least vaguely resembles the outfit Eris wore in "The Jem'Hadar". Federation has the long off-duty jacket that, combined with the robe bottom looks reasonably close to STO's female Vorta NPC outfit, and the Romulan tailor has clothing that looks reasonably close to the outfit Kilana wore in the episode "The Ship" (which appears to be the female version of the Dominion field officer uniform).

I have seen quite a few player Vorta out and about in the game, and the number of people requesting an official Vorta generator be added to the "Dominion faction" leads me to believe that more than just a few are active in the forum to some degree.
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I too have seem a good number of people using the alien template to make a Vorta character. It seems to me that Vorta would be a popular race.

I have no Dominion characters, but would consider one if the Vorta were a playable race for Dominion. No interest otherwise.
  • evilbunny#7215 evilbunny Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I made my Vorta toon so very long ago, I don't even remember. Would've been prior to the New Romulus expansion, I'm pretty sure. For an outfit I just use one of the robes. I believe its the same outfit they have Loriss dressed in, in game. Haven't played that toon in forever. Back then I also made via the Alien race character customisation, a Jem Hadar which looked far better than the ones in game at the time, as well as a Cardassian.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    the problem is the Vorta as a species are not suited for combat, (bad eyesight, you know) so an entirely new tutorial would need to be written, as well as a series of more diplomatic solutions to existing and new content. and they will not endure the costs of that.
    Spock.jpg

• chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    Most I've done is a Vorta boff, as an on-ship diplomat.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I have my third Romulan Character (Engineer) as a Vorta named Loriss. She has a Vorta Boff named Kilana. Most of my other Captains have an Loriss Alien-gen Vorta Boff. A couple have the Loriss Photonic Boff. The Alien-Gen Loriss' wear the same uniform as the theme for that Character. My Loriss Captain wears the Mercenary Outfit normally as it is the Outfit for that Character. (I'm not fond of most Romulan Outfits (especially the TNG one).

I do have a Weyoun and Loriss still boxed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    I still wish you could have a Vorta captain in the Dominion faction, considering series lore, instead of only being able to make them with aliengen for other non-Dominion factions. As useful as that still is.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    the problem is the Vorta as a species are not suited for combat, (bad eyesight, you know) so an entirely new tutorial would need to be written, as well as a series of more diplomatic solutions to existing and new content. and they will not endure the costs of that.

Actually, that is one of Weyoun's half-truths that he fed to the Federation as part of the maskirovka during the buildup to their invasion. They are like cats, their eyesight is good enough at close range but their main targeting sense at range is hearing, not vision. Jeffrey Coombs did an excellent job of showing that via body language, notice how he always knows exactly who enters the room when he is facing the camera, not the door, even when the person comes in quietly and says nothing. Those big complex ears are in essence a sophisticated passive sonar sense.

The DS9 show itself contradicts a lot of what Weyoun said, like for instance every single ship and installation shown was commanded by Vorta, never Jem'Hadar. Even the outpost in "The Jem'Hadar" that was supposedly commanded by a Jem'Hadar actually wasn't, Eris was the real base commander but had her top sergeant pretend to be in command while she played prisoner in a makeshift plan to get information from Sisko and try to infiltrate the Federation as a "refugee" when he, Jake, Nog, and Quark unexpectedly go camping on the planet the outpost is on.

And that even goes down as far as small front line units, they show Vorta officers like Kilana on the ground commanding her ground team and Luaran in space commanding one of the little bug ships.

The only modification they would need to the current tutorial would be a cutscene or two establishing that the tutorial scenario is the final test for the combat part of their training, or even better, that the base came under heavy attack so even officer candidates were handed a "rifle" and told to defend the base.

If they wanted to adjust the scenario to be more general than the one for the meat-droids they could have the Vorta then gather up a core of Jem'Hadar as their skirmishers (and maybe another Vorta as a second in command) and operate like Kilana's team, and be such a standout team in the defensive action that they are told to grab a ship and hit the invaders while they are reeling from the repulsed assault.

They would not have to go that far though, the current one is fine with just a few cutscene and maybe dialog changes (I only ran though it once, in the first gamma recruit event so the small details are fuzzy).
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User

Phoenixc elegantly explained the important stuff, I just going to add to that yes they do suck at combat however Vortas do pretty much cover most of the captain's job such as strategy, diplomacy, first contact and commanding troops of Jem'Hadar, while they aren't warriors, they do make better captains.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Phoenixc elegantly explained the important stuff, I just going to add to that yes they do suck at combat however Vortas do pretty much cover most of the captain's job such as strategy, diplomacy, first contact and commanding troops of Jem'Hadar, while they aren't warriors, they do make better captains.
    My head canon that it's more a matter of training than innate potential. Eris, for example, seemed quite capable. She was playing a damsel in distress, but did a competent job of avoiding danger, and actually fighting. Like using a TK blast to knock a Jem'Hadar down. Weyoun obviously had other skills that he was good at.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.