test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So who is going to be the New Chancellor of the Klingon Empire

13»

Comments

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

spiritborn wrote: »
    It could also be a rule in place during that time, the Klingon Empire hasn't remained static during the years. So it's possible that during more "traditionalist" chancellors women were not allowed in the council, while more pragmatist chancellors were less fussed about such things as long as the person snowed themselves worthy of the seat.

And that's assuming such rule exists and Gowron wasn't just a being a prick.

considering he let a ferengi be the head of a house and Grilka's reaction to the whole thing I'm going ahead and saying it's not a gowron rule.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,261 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    It could also be a rule in place during that time, the Klingon Empire hasn't remained static during the years. So it's possible that during more "traditionalist" chancellors women were not allowed in the council, while more pragmatist chancellors were less fussed about such things as long as the person snowed themselves worthy of the seat.

considering he let a ferengi be the head of a house and Grilka's reaction to the whole thing I'm going ahead and saying it's not a gowron rule.

No but it could be a rule made by his predecessor Gowron didn't feel like removing. Note that even the later of the 2 female chancellors is in late 23rd century while IIRC any mention of this rule is only in the mid to late 24th century.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »

No but it could be a rule made by his predecessor Gowron didn't feel like removing. Note that even the later of the 2 female chancellors is in late 23rd century while IIRC any mention of this rule is only in the mid to late 24th century.

It was probably done (the line) as a quick way to explain to the audience why neither of Duras sisters could claim the mantle/right to be considered for Chancellor - thus why they were using the illegitimate son of Duras to gain power.

Hell, (IMO) to me, (and hell I'm primarily a TOS era fan) it didn't make sense that Gorkon's daughter (in STVI:TUC) just essentially automatically assumed his role and was immediately granted the title of Chancellor - but hey, the real world/production reason was probably that the STVI:TUC script was locked in LONG before the TNG script 'Reunion' where the who 'Right of Ascension' ceremony was introduced into Star Trek lore.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    who says she DIDN'T go through the rite of ascension? we don't know how many days passed between gorkon's death and the khitomer conference - might've been enough time to have performed the rite​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,261 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    who says she DIDN'T go through the rite of ascension? we don't know how many days passed between gorkon's death and the khitomer conference - might've been enough time to have performed the rite​​

It's also possible that she was the "acting" chancellor until the rite could be performed, after all the only time we saw the rite performed it was because the chancellor died due to poisoning so the Klingon Empire had plenty of time to prepare. Whilr Gorkon was shot and thus the Imperial hierarchy wasn't prepared for his death.

Azetbur (sic) seemed to be an important member of Gorkon's cabinet (for a lack of a better term) even before she was raised to Chancellor so I could see the Klingon high council decreeing "there's a crisis that threatens the Empire we need a leader right now and we don't have the time for the traditional rites, lets make Azetbur the chancellor as she's proven herself to be capable and knows what her father would have wanted".

EDIT:We must remember that klingons aren't really that stupid and are perfectly capable of doing something then don't like if they have to.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Maybe Melani Di'an? I mean people want change right? :p

Not sure if this counts as change for the better though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • aoav160aoav160 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »
    But as said above, they may just push the big ol' reset button after this little Klingon tiff is over with. Then J'mpok is back with hardly a difference to the Empire's overall state. And that would make things much easier for Cryptic in the long run.

Some people have suggested that the J'mpok running amok here is a Changeling. (Possibly the Changeling.)

My guess too. A Changeling, 8742, or a Bluegill neural parasite.
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    No Chancellor ..... a new clone of Kahless the Unforgettable will rise and lead the Klingon Federation Empire to a new dawn of brutality against tribbles.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    that's a possible thing they could do - abolish the position of chancellor entirely and just go back to using an emperor

of course, that runs into the same problem as martok, adet'pa or anyone else with celebrity VA - kahless' VA may not be available when they need him for future content​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.