test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A way to introduce crafting gear from other trek eras

xastirxxastirx Member Posts: 71 Arc User
So, i just finished a run of battle at the binaries. And in my loot i got a phaser array but it was Discovery era and I had a thought.

What if we were able to craft these weapons? Now the one i got in my loot was literally just a reskin of the standard no-frills phaser array. It's only distinction is that it has disco cosmetics. The icon appearance and even the blue pulsating firing sequence.

Now the reason i think we should be able to craft other era weapons is that it would allow for making era appropriate builds for our ships. Now before anyone says that there are this or that versions acquired through other ways let me remind you that those versions have some kind of bonuses applied to them. Like the lock-box disco phasers are also sub-system-linked. ALSO, I will remind you there are also lock box versions of the modern standard stuff already, but like the other, non-craftable skins, they have some kind of bonus, like being hybrid weapons(polaron-disruptors and others).

What I am proposing here is simply adding in an option when making a space weapon, adidng an option on weapon types for which there is an alternate era version, adding another drop down where (in the case of say...a phaser array) you select:

Phaser array
Mk XII
TOS Era

Or

Disruptor Dual Cannons
MK XII
Discovery Era

These weapons would be in every way subject to the same rules of the modern era craftables.
* Rarity chance
* Crafted Weapon Buffs(over, pen, thrust, snare, etc.)
* Material cost
* etc.

Anyway, I was thinking that this would be a very beneficial idea as it would allow the Role Players among us who are flying a Discovey Era Skinned ship to fly Discovery Era Weapons they made themselves.

Anyway, what do all of you think.

EDIT: an argument could also be made for saying that the skins need to be toon-era specific. Like saying that only a TOS toon would know how to make TOS phasers and disruptors, BUT, when you add in knowledge from the 25th century, they can combine that knowledge with their TOS skills to be able to make a TOS Beam array that is Anti-Proton based.

EDIT 2: Also, i forgot to mention the Kelvin Timeline weapons too.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    As Kelvin weapons are lockbox, I don't see them allowing that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2020
    There are a few limited missions that award TOS themed gear, like Night of the Comet or Everything Old is New. :)

Otherwise much of the TOS theme stuff is largely limited to Starbase K-13 with the Fleet System. It even has Fed, Klingon, and Romulan TOS options as well for both Space & Ground, but you'll have to earn your Fleet Credit's and some DIL to acquire them.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    True, but what i was getting at is that for all the other weapons there are normal craftable versions, and there are the lock box versions. for instance, the Kelvin lockbox phasers have special properties aside from their appearance. Craftable Kelvin Phasers would simply be a reskin of the normal modern phasers.

The idea is that while modern appearance weapons can be attained through any means (crafted, loot, mission reward, lock box, Lobi Store, etc.)

Kelvin, TOS and Discovery craftable weapons would just be...like applying a vanity shield. its for looks only. A crafted Kelvin phaser would have the appearance of the lockbox ones. But would not have any of the unique combat properties. They would have the abilities of the standard crafted ones only. Also, the ones that are part of quest rewards also tend to have unique properties. Aside from that, they only exist as phasers, there are no in game TOS distuptors, though they are canon.

The point behind my idea is strictly a way to create the true look of a ship's build without having to spend 5 times as much money buying the weapons as you spend getting the ship.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Also, the discovery weapons are lockbox, but if you play a discovery TFO, you may find that on occasion you will get discovery style phaser and disruptor space weapons. These are NOT the sensor, integrity, targeting linked versions. They are literally the "existed since the game origianlly launched" phasers with a discovery reskin.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I like the idea, I wish I could craft Discovery themed Phasers for a few of my ships. I agree that giving Discovery Phasers a standard Phaser Proc would make it so that it wouldn't detract from the Value of the Lockbox versions like Sensor-Linked.

The one that probably wouldn't work is the Kelvin Phasers because it's proc is terrible. If you allowed crafting of Kelvin Phasers with a standard proc, they would be better then the lock box variant. I use Kelvins on one of my characters because I really like the visual effect.. but the proc on those is pretty useless.

I am always in favor of more cosmetic options when possible.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    I like the idea but my guess is it won't happen because right now at least some Space Barbie fans like me are buying the lock box weapons for the visuals not the procs.

Even though I buy most of them off the exchange, someone still gave Cryptic cash monies for the lockbox keys.

This discussion has been closed.