test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warp Core shutdown/ejection procedure compared to SCRAM?

ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
Okay, so something that just occurred to me is that in Star Trek: Voyager there's an episode where Chakotay is disembodied or something and uses B'Elanna to shut down or eject the core, leading to Janeway concluding what had happened since shutting down the core apparently required command authority (CO or XO).

Now, this seems pretty risky to me, given it abstracts a potentially vital safety decision to an individual/s who lacks the contextual understanding of the situation 'on the ground' so-to-speak. The closest real-world analogy I could think of would be SCRAMing a nuclear reactor on a warship like the US or French Supercarriers or a nuclear submarine. Given there are people here whom I know for a fact are better-informed on this subject than I am; assuming it's not classified, who does final responsibility for SCRAMing a naval reactor fall to? Does the Engineering Officer need command approval to SCRAM, or is it a case of 'better to beg forgiveness than ask permission'?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    antimatter absolutely CAN exist in the same space as normal matter - as long as whatever form of antimatter it is doesn't contact its polar opposite; particles only annihilate when they come in contact with THEIR specific opposites, not with others

at least according to the layman's explanation of antimatter - i'm not a particle physicist, so i can't personally confirm that​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Thanks guys. I figured that would be the case, which makes Voyager's statement all the more odd.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    antimatter absolutely CAN exist in the same space as normal matter - as long as whatever form of antimatter it is doesn't contact its polar opposite; particles only annihilate when they come in contact with THEIR specific opposites, not with others

at least according to the layman's explanation of antimatter - i'm not a particle physicist, so i can't personally confirm that​​

Well yeah, I'm no physicist either. But let's just imagine for a minute we had antiwater. The antiwater is not going to hang around waiting to get poured into the ocean to annihilate. As soon as it interacts with the number of electrons and protons equivalent to a molecule of water (10 protons, 8 neutrons, and 10 electrons)-- it would be destroyed. The antiwater would still annihilate as you poured it into the cup. In the vacuum of space it may survive a little longer.

From Wikipedia:

"Experiments by the ATRAP and ATHENA collaborations at CERN, brought together positrons and antiprotons in Penning traps, resulting in synthesis at a typical rate of 100 antihydrogen atoms per second. Antihydrogen was first produced by ATHENA in 2002,[20] and then by ATRAP[21] and by 2004, millions of antihydrogen atoms were made. The atoms synthesized had a relatively high temperature (a few thousand kelvins), and would hit the walls of the experimental apparatus as a consequence and annihilate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihydrogen

• Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    duplicate post. Sorry

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited May 2020

Well yes and no, I'm no physicist either but due having studied energy technology I had to study the relevant areas of physics and the way I understood is that it functions the way to state in the quatum level (so Electron+positron=boom but positron+proton does not) but if I made (for example) an anti-matter copy of you I wouldn't be safe and the copy would annihilate itself in contact with any matter and not just you specifically.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User

But thanks to gravity and the fact that you only encounter single forms of particles in specific lab situations, if you have matter and antimatter in the same space, they will inevitably attract one another (yes, physicists have confirmed that gravity acts the same way on matter and antimatter), and when your cloud of antiprotons encounters, say, the wall of the containment vessel, whose atoms contain protons - kaboom! That's why we haven't been able to isolate more than an extremely miniscule amount of antimatter (almost entirely antiprotons) for study; we'd need to perfect magnetic envelopes first.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png