test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can I use more than one PC

nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
Title says it all. I have multiple PCs in my house if I use STO on different computers will that be OK. I don't want my account to accidentally get banned if it thinks I'm sharing my account with others instead of playing it myself in different rooms.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I have used different computers in my house (desktop, laptop) to play the game with no problem.

As long as your house isn't, say, a couple hundred miles across or tunnels through the earth to exist on both sides of the planet*, I don't see where it would be an issue. :)

*and even if it is, just don't violate any laws of physics getting from a computer at one side of the house to a computer at the other side :p
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You can, yes.. just not at the same time. It's perfectly within the rules to log out on one PC and then go log back in on another PC.

I have STO installed on my Desktop and my Laptop, never had any problem.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    As long as your account doesn't suddenly log on from the other side of the planet out of the blue you won't have any serious issues. You can log in from different PCs. I have it on my laptop and my desktop both. If I'm on the go I'll log in from my laptop. Only thing you might have to do is put in one of those little codes that basically says it's a legit login. otherwise you should be good.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    [quote="darkbladejk;c-13593867"]As long as your account doesn't suddenly log on from the other side of the planet out of the blue you won't have any serious issues. You can log in from different PCs. I have it on my laptop and my desktop both. If I'm on the go I'll log in from my laptop. Only thing you might have to do is put in one of those little codes that basically says it's a legit login. otherwise you should be good. [/quote]

I tried logging in using same account on different systems...you couldn't. However, as others mentioned you can use different accounts or same account but not at the same time.​​
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    I tried logging in using same account on different systems...you couldn't. However, as others mentioned you can use different accounts or same account but not at the same time.​​

logging in from 2 different computers to the same account at once is different than using one account on 2 different computers at different times. I never said you could use the same account on 2 different computers at the same time. read what I said again but slower.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,526 Arc User
    You cannot log in from two different computers at the same time (you can only be in the game once at a time) but it makes no difference what computer you use to do it as long as the computer is registered as being one you use (otherwise you get that email code you have to put in to prove it is you trying to log in).
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2020

logging in from 2 different computers to the same account at once is different than using one account on 2 different computers at different times. I never said you could use the same account on 2 different computers at the same time. read what I said again but slower.

There might be games out there that do allow multiple logins to the same account. It might seem obvious to you and to me that it is not possible with STO, but still. The snark of that last line is unbecoming of a cm and sets a bad example. You could have clarified without it. :|

(obviously, delete this if you decide self-moderating and editing the post is the way to go :) )
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,266 Arc User
    What others have said you can use different computers, I swapped computers while playing STO (I made a new one) and there was no issues. Only thing that should cause issues is trying to log from 2 different PC at once.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Grasshopper has learned much from the Master.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    You cannot log in from two different computers at the same time

Not true.

You can log in from Multiple Computers using different accounts on each.

You cannot log in multiple times from the same account.

It really is just that simple.. you can log in on two computers at the same time if you have 2 separate accounts. Each account can be connected to the game a total of one time. To log in on another PC using that same account you have to log off of computer one before you can log in with computer 2.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,526 Arc User
    You cannot log in from two different computers at the same time

Not true.

You can log in from Multiple Computers using different accounts on each.

You cannot log in multiple times from the same account.

It really is just that simple.. you can log in on two computers at the same time if you have 2 separate accounts. Each account can be connected to the game a total of one time. To log in on another PC using that same account you have to log off of computer one before you can log in with computer 2.

The OP was obviously talking about a single account, not multiple accounts, and you cannot long a single account in on multiple computers at once.
This discussion has been closed.