test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Being harassed and bullied, not getting help

snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
Hello,

So for a while now I have been almost constantly harassed and bullied in the game. The first thing I did was put the player in question on ignore, however the ignore function does not prevent them from seeing me when we are on the same map and instance.

While ignore does stop me from receiving private messages and mail, and also prevents me from seeing zone and local chat from the player. There are other problems.

The player continues to do various emotes against my character in an inappropriate fashion, constantly throw unmelting snowballs at me and using various party poopers. They also walk and bump into me on purpose, they often do this using a hologram disguise or some other gimmick in order to change their appearance to a Tholian or Undine. The larger hit-/collision box allows them to much more easily push my character around in order to trap me or push me of ledges etc.

I have made numerous reports to Perfect World Entertainment with screenshots, these have not helped.

I am not certain on what to do, I feel like I should be able to visit all public places in the game without the fear of this childish harassment. But now it’s come to the point where I will refrain from visiting certain places in the game.

The fact that Perfect World Entertainment have not helped me is disappointing, as they have helped me out a ton of times before with lost and accidently deleted items and characters so I always considered their customer support rather good.

I know making a public post about this on the forum is not a very good idea, but I’ve tried reaching out and making the appropriate reports and tickets but nothing has helped.

Having to restrict my gameplay to avoid the player in question is not enjoyable, and it’s making me lean towards no longer playing the game.

Comments

• Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Other than banning the player in question, it's hard to see what Cryptic can do about this. (PWE is the publisher, they don't actually manage the game.) And the actions taken don't seem to fall under 'bannable offenses' although it's perhaps borderline harassment. You would probably need multiple videos showing the player going out of their way to interfere with you to generate a warning or ban.

I can't speak for you, but personally I would just change maps when they show up. They can't 'track' you, so they would need to hop maps one by one and search each one until they found you. Generally weirdos like this are looking for a reaction from you, so if they have to spend 10 minutes searching for you each time and get no reaction, they typically go bother someone else.
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Other than banning the player in question, it's hard to see what Cryptic can do about this. (PWE is the publisher, they don't actually manage the game.) And the actions taken don't seem to fall under 'bannable offenses' although it's perhaps borderline harassment. You would probably need multiple videos showing the player going out of their way to interfere with you to generate a warning or ban.

I can't speak for you, but personally I would just change maps when they show up. They can't 'track' you, so they would need to hop maps one by one and search each one until they found you. Generally weirdos like this are looking for a reaction from you, so if they have to spend 10 minutes searching for you each time and get no reaction, they typically go bother someone else.

Changing instance doesn't help very often, but I still feel I shouldn't be required to relocate myself just because of them. (Reminds me of times in school when you get bullied and YOU had to change schools, not the bullies...).

I am not after getting them banned or punished, I just want them to stop. Maybe someone from whoever enforces the game could talk to them, I just want to be left alone. I don't think that is so much to ask.

What's the best way to make a video? I don't have any software for it and the app for Windows 10 through Xbox keeps crashing on me and generates files I can't play.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm kinda curious how said player is able to find you so quickly and easily...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    The only way I can think of it working is if they are in the same fleet. In which case, this is a matter for the fleet leader.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited February 2020

Is it possible that there are fewer instances and players on the XBox?
    Is it possible that he/she has the OP in a friendlist, allowing him/her to track the OP?

Can't be sure since i don't have the XBox and there might be differences between Xbox and PC versions.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    questerius wrote: »

Is it possible that there are fewer instances and players on the XBox?
    Is it possible that he/she has the OP in a friendlist, allowing him/her to track the OP?

Can't be sure since i don't have the XBox and there might be differences between Xbox and PC versions.

They're on PC, but I guess there's something with Windows 10 that is also linked into XBox stuff.
    As for friend or fleet list... its possible that someone in the armada is tracking him as I just found out today you can check fleet rosters for fleets in your armada and it shows player location of anyone actually online. Outside of that... honestly don't know how else to track someone so quickly if you're set to appear offline in a player search and not have them as a friend.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    The harasser is a member of our resident troll fleet.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Although it's a nuisance, sometimes you just have to deal with matters yourself. Trolls do what they do because getting some sort of response from another person makes them feel noticed and important. If they get no reaction, or an unsatisfying one (target launches a TFO, changes maps, or simply logs off), eventually they shift to someone who gives them more feedback.

One approach is simply to be somewhere other than where they expect to find you. Another approach is to go AFK and give them zero reaction. I mentioned the 'capture some video' simply because despite the validity of your complaint, any GM who receives a text description or even a screen shot from you has no idea if the other player is actually initiating this, or if you are provoking them first in chat, or if it is part of some other interaction.

Unfortunately I'm not a good one to ask about 'how to capture game video' because I've never done it. I see STO has a 'demorecord' function: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Demorecord which I presume might be useable for the task. No idea what size of file it generates though. If that doesn't work just google up 'capture game video clip' or something and see what else is available.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    The harasser is a member of our resident troll fleet.

Interesting. With college fraternaties the local frat itself can be punished for the misdeeds of its members.

Perhaps the fleet might stop encouraging its members to be like this if they are put on Double Secret Probation and are at risk of having the fleet destroyed. Have fun starting over at fleet level 0!

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    Closed by OP request. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.