test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A suggestion to the Dev Team. Please tell us how long it takes to make and put something into STO.

thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
Title says it. I've always been curious about how many people and manhours are required for a new ship or new Episode to be successfully added to the Holodeck server. Coupled to one of my eternal questions.
Namely, "Holy [TRIBBLE]! How in the [TRIBBLE] did they do that? Man! That is [TRIBBLE]ing awesome!

Used to mod and make missions, as well as use mods and maps from others, for a bunch of other games back in the day. I'd be interested in finding out some behind the scenes stuff about the only MMO I play.
A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.

Comments

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    Also, add to that life happens.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    -One of the new/revamped patrols can take about 6 weeks.

That seems waaaaaaaay off imo, back when the Foundry was around a mission like The Ninth Rule could have been made in a day using the tool, the only things we couldn't do were randomize the enemies and add in voice overs, and I doubt those two things take 6 weeks to accomplish.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    -One of the new/revamped patrols can take about 6 weeks.

That seems waaaaaaaay off imo, back when the Foundry was around a mission like The Ninth Rule could have been made in a day using the tool, the only things we couldn't do were randomize the enemies and add in voice overs, and I doubt those two things take 6 weeks to accomplish.

you forget cryptic is a company therefore has a insane bureaucracy about everything. which always adds a absurd amount of wasted time and probably means the version we get is the 17th one or something.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    Yeah, and the fact it only took a day is why even the best Foundry content had the quality of a launch era story mission.

I was referring specifically to what the Patrol mission The Ninth Rule consists of, the Foundry was certainly capable of much more and more complex missions would take plenty of time to build, test, spellcheck, etc. The Ninth Rule is essentially:

1) go to waypoint and talk to npc
    2) blow up baddies
    3) go to second waypoint and talk to npc again
    4) blow up more baddies
    5) engage tractor beam and go to waypoint 3
    6) blow up even more baddies until the mission ends

Saying that patrol took six weeks to make is crazy.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    The Foundry also only had access to EXISTING assets, which dramatically cuts down the time. A lot of new missions require brand new assets, which means they actually have to design the new assets, texture the new assets, set up hit boxes if they are meant to be solid objects, program in behavior if it is a mobile entity...

A lot more work goes into new content than you think.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Foundry also only had access to EXISTING assets, which dramatically cuts down the time. A lot of new missions require brand new assets, which means they actually have to design the new assets, texture the new assets, set up hit boxes if they are meant to be solid objects, program in behavior if it is a mobile entity...

A lot more work goes into new content than you think.

I'm not talking about normal missions, I'm talking about a single patrol mission. The only assets The Ninth Rule uses are existing ships and enemy groups, as well as Stamets (who's model was already created for the normal mission he appears in), and the ferengi (who I believe has already been in several missions over the years). Again, there is no way that patrol could have taken six weeks of development, I'd say a couple days at most with the possibility of needing to wait for the actors to record their lines if they hadn't done so in a previous recording session (during that time though the devs would have been working on other things).

I'm fully aware of all the extra things they need to do for normal missions, but I'm not talking about those, I've clearly stated each time that I was talking about a very specific patrol.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yeah, and the fact it only took a day is why even the best Foundry content had the quality of a launch era story mission.

I was referring specifically to what the Patrol mission The Ninth Rule consists of, the Foundry was certainly capable of much more and more complex missions would take plenty of time to build, test, spellcheck, etc. The Ninth Rule is essentially:

1) go to waypoint and talk to npc
    2) blow up baddies
    3) go to second waypoint and talk to npc again
    4) blow up more baddies
    5) engage tractor beam and go to waypoint 3
    6) blow up even more baddies until the mission ends

Saying that patrol took six weeks to make is crazy.
    Well, the "engage tractor beam" thing is already something you couldn't do in the Foundry. You could run some animations, but you couldn't drag a ship around with it. You also would have trouble giving the NPC ships the AI that follows you into battle - if the enemy doesn't spawn near the spawn of your allies, not much is going to happen with them.

A thing to remember is also that the Foundry was a simplified editor. It took some work off your hands, but in exchange it also meant you could do less things.

And of course, the devil is always in the detail - you can make a neat looking mission in a few hours or days - but it might only work well if players are following the "script" the author had in their head when he made and tested the mission just as well as he did.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.