test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Since we have the Anniversary ship that's Federation and Klingon, will all ships be available?

wraithxiiwraithxii Member Posts: 30 Arc User
How soon will it be before the Federation and Klingon factions can use each other's ships? I hope that we could at least be able to use the Klingon Pilot Raptors. I have a Federation main character, and this would be amazing!!!!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,454 Community Moderator
    I don't see that happening. We've got equivelent ships between Fed and KDF.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    think of all the developement savings if they got rid of factions... since this game has no real pvp... for those who want they can still que for it... just make it so you need to have played all mission episodes from start to transition mission... and maybe have em grind accolade points... think of the metrics! day in and out to get accolades done just to unlock cross faction ship usage... they can buy more ships!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,454 Community Moderator
    tigeraries wrote: »
    think of all the developement savings if they got rid of factions...

The issue is that STO was built at its core to be a two faction game. Might as well just build a new game rather than try and remove one of the core elements of the game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    actually STO was built at it's core as a one faction game, the KDF was added very last minute
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Keep your paws off our KDF ships!

I can't see it happening, as mentioned they do versions for each faction. I think this AFS thing is a hint for future content however.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,864 Arc User
    think of all the developement savings if they got rid of factions... since this game has no real pvp... for those who want they can still que for it... just make it so you need to have played all mission episodes from start to transition mission... and maybe have em grind accolade points... think of the metrics! day in and out to get accolades done just to unlock cross faction ship usage... they can buy more ships!

They already do that right now...in case you haven't noticed every story mission has been from either a Fed or Alliance point of view...been years since factions got their own distinct missions.

Even if factions were merged they still would have made the Discovery Klingon ships...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

They already do that right now...in case you haven't noticed every story mission has been from either a Fed or Alliance point of view...been years since factions got their own distinct missions.

Even if factions were merged they still would have made the Discovery Klingon ships...

no... as a Fed you can't buy a currently released KDF ship. Nor can a KDF player buy a currently released Fed ship. What folks are asking about is the removable of the barrier like we have with Rom Ships. Previously as an allied, KDF and Feds can only buy T1 to T4 ships... now we can fly almost any.

Not asking for this right off the bat of a freshly made character... saying this can be unlocked per character, if you play all the missions in storyline to X point and get x amount of accolade points.
  • wraithxiiwraithxii Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I like that idea! That way you can fly what you like since you're buying it anyway.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    wraithxii wrote: »
    How soon will it be before the Federation and Klingon factions can use each other's ships? I hope that we could at least be able to use the Klingon Pilot Raptors. I have a Federation main character, and this would be amazing!!!!

Hopefully never. I get the appeal of it for certain "single character" players. However, IMO it would ruin the last bit of uniqueness that the factions currently have.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I wouldn't want to fly an ugly fed boat, now would I want to see a glorious KDF warship in fed colours.

Saying that, in all fairness, Feds should have access to a B'rel Warbird. HMS Bounty is an iconic ship from one of the best Star Trek movies.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    I don't think it is coming, but I would not be jaw on the floor surprised if the anniversary bundle is accessible by KDF. Usually anniversary bundles are linked to the event ship in some form or another, and the event ship is the ship of "peace and prosperity".
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User

You overlook that a portion of STOs population would definitely quit if they got rid of the last holds of distinquishing the factions. That would be an income loss VS development savings
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    What real development is there on the KDF? All there is are the ships. It would take a lot more development to merge the factions.

What do you do with fleets? What about all those boxes/ships that have no faction counterpart aside from the trait in a box? What about missions, should KDF be doing the Klingon war arc from the Feds or Feds the Grethor arc? How about Roms and Doms and their faction selection?

No there is way too much that is built in and core to the game with the faction division and ripping that out would be a massive amount of work vs just making new ships now and then.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    lordmerc22 wrote: »

You overlook that a portion of STOs population would definitely quit if they got rid of the last holds of distinquishing the factions. That would be an income loss VS development savings

yes, don't touch the separation of the factions :) KDF and Roms are cool like they are.
    I personally prefer having more missions to play even if they are crossfaction, than more and more and more ships which add almost nothing (except money for cryptic of course :p ) .
    As I don't run desperately behind the dps, I don't care about new traits, new consoles, i just want more experiences to play in game, like the new missions; I would personally put Seven's gun in the zen store and bound to character, i would even created a Seven pack: haircut, gun, clothes; Cryptic in this matter is too generous, they should try to earn money with different ideas :*

This discussion has been closed.