test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Saurians---Goes from Very Rare to Rare

truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
Hi...recently I bought a few of those Boffs from the Exchange a while back, and notice something quiet odd.

I was seeking Very Rare ones for a specific Space Trait on Warp Power Efficiency. I didn't pay attention at first to the change of value on their Rarity Status. Considering I have a lot of Doffs on my ship.

But then...just last week, I was seeking the same Very Rare stat, and this time I paid attention. It seems that the status is changed when the Cadet is commissioned to be on the ship staff. Yes, their Very Rare status is changed to Rare. It was tested at least 3 times.

And yes, this should be in the support section, but I did a search to see if this issue was spoken about, and so far...no. And no, no ticket was submitted either. This is a total software issue in the game, and it needs to be looked at.

Take care...

(Corrected)

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    First, sounds like you're talking about BOFFs (Bridge Officers), not DOFFs (Duty Officers).

Second, Very Rare (Purple) BOFFs have 2 Superior Traits and 2 Standard Traits.

Many species of BOFFs have required Traits. In the case of Saurians, Reptilian Strength and Natural Immunities are theirs. Reptilian Strength only comes in Standard, so that's one Trait down there. Superior Natural Immunities is possible, so be on the lookout for that, otherwise the other 2 Traits have to be Superior to make it a VR BOFF. Superior Efficient is not an option for Saurians, however. So if you're looking for a VR Saurian BOFF with Efficient, you'd have to make sure that it has Superior Natural Immunities and one other Superior Trait.

A BOFF going from VR to Rare upon commission is not a glitch or bug, it's just the way that BOFFs work. For example, this always happens to Gorn BOFFs because they have 3 required Traits, none of which have a Superior version preventing Gorn BOFFs from commissioning as VR.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    First, sounds like you're talking about BOFFs (Bridge Officers), not DOFFs (Duty Officers).

Second, Very Rare (Purple) BOFFs have 2 Superior Traits and 2 Standard Traits.

Many species of BOFFs have required Traits. In the case of Saurians, Reptilian Strength and Natural Immunities are theirs. Reptilian Strength only comes in Standard, so that's one Trait down there. Superior Natural Immunities is possible, so be on the lookout for that, otherwise the other 2 Traits have to be Superior to make it a VR BOFF. Superior Efficient is not an option for Saurians, however. So if you're looking for a VR Saurian BOFF with Efficient, you'd have to make sure that it has Superior Natural Immunities and one other Superior Trait.

A BOFF going from VR to Rare upon commission is not a glitch or bug, it's just the way that BOFFs work. For example, this always happens to Gorn BOFFs because they have 3 required Traits, none of which have a Superior version preventing Gorn BOFFs from commissioning as VR.

Thanks on the correction...and that sucks, if that is the case.

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    > Thanks on the correction...and that sucks, if that is the case.

It's just a color. I use blue Romulans with SRO + Subterfuge and they're just as killy.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

It's just a color. I use blue Romulans with SRO + Subterfuge and they're just as killy.
    Yeah, the "color" doesn't affect anything and is purely decorative.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

Is this occurrence only happens to this specific Boff and species?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    No, see above:

It is the trait that matters not the boff color. Traits are Basic x, (plain) x, Superior x, Epic x.

The strength of a trait like Efficient or Superior Romulan Operative is exactly the same no matter what the color of the boff is.

• Options
    truewarper wrote: »

It's a weird anomaly but affects any boff that can't have 2 or more superior traits.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator

As stated, VR Saurian BOFFs are possible, you just have to make sure there are 2 Superior Traits before commissioning. This goes for any BOFF of any species. Also, as stated, Gorn can never be VR because they have 3 required Traits that do not have Superior versions.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User

As stated, VR Saurian BOFFs are possible, you just have to make sure there are 2 Superior Traits before commissioning. This goes for any BOFF of any species. Also, as stated, Gorn can never be VR because they have 3 required Traits that do not have Superior versions.

Still seems 'glitchy'.

The BOff should show as the correct 'commissioned' color before commissioning. This would take away a lot of the confusion (and irritation) regarding this issue.
  • Options

Still seems 'glitchy'.

The BOff should show as the correct 'commissioned' color before commissioning. This would take away a lot of the confusion (and irritation) regarding this issue.

True, but if you drew up a list of 100 STO bugs, this would appear very far down on it.

Software always has bugs, and there is never time to fix all of them. You have to pick the most important ones to work on now while others might stay at the bottom of the to-do list forever.
  • Options

Still seems 'glitchy'.

True, but if you drew up a list of 100 STO bugs, this would appear very far down on it.

Software always has bugs, and there is never time to fix all of them. You have to pick the most important ones to work on now while others might stay at the bottom of the to-do list forever.
    This isn't even a bug really. Uncommissioned boff candidates have a stat for rarity, but commissioned boffs don't. They have all these other stats. But no actual rarity stat. The devs would have to change that to fix a minor inconsistency.

Another inconsistency is how there are green quality boffs that have all normal traits. Granted these are typically special boff, like tutorial boffs and such... Oh wait, I made a picture....
    https://www.deviantart.com/marhawkman/art/EridianBofftraits-772921407
    Let's face it... If you only care about Efficient or Leadership, it doesn't matter if the boff is a common. The trait works the same no matter the boff quality.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User

I have a couple of very rare gorns but I believe you can only get them from t4 diplomacy
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Ugghhh... Saurians!!! 😠

I remember when very rare Saurians were a mere 1 Billion EC on the exchange. The price was crazy because the Efficient trait gave you +5 to each power level on your ship. So if you had five Saurians that added up to +25 on each power. It made combats last longer and made Science ships far less squishy. So I ground out enough stuff to get 5 Billion EC. Within 30 days of my purchase of my fifth Saurian Cryptic went in and nerfed the Efficient trait. My crew became worthless overnight. It really pissed off a ton of players who bought these expensive bridge officers. Myself included...
  • Options
    shadowkosh wrote: »

I have a couple of very rare gorns but I believe you can only get them from t4 diplomacy
    I just looked that up. It's because the diplomacy ones have Superior Resiliency instead of regular Resilient.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I believe that Rare Romulan Embassy Boff with SRO actually turns VR in the Roster because it has two Superior. They should implement Ultra Rare Boffs (3 Superior) and Epic Boffs (4 Superior). They always advertised Leeta as an Epic Boff and she came in a Gold Box. She came out with only two Superior.

I wouldn't know much about the Saurian Boffs anyway. They and the Gorns, Nausican, and Lethians end up in the Soylent Green Tanks anyway. :)
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    **Head swirls**

Ok...but it is very deceptive when you buy one as a Very Rare, then commission it and it changes to Rare by self. There is no warning at all, and that is not fair. The color sought, should be the color in use, that is the point of this thread. But again, thanks for the examples.

A mystery solved. *for now*
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Ugghhh... Saurians!!! 😠

I remember when very rare Saurians were a mere 1 Billion EC on the exchange. The price was crazy because the Efficient trait gave you +5 to each power level on your ship. So if you had five Saurians that added up to +25 on each power. It made combats last longer and made Science ships far less squishy. So I ground out enough stuff to get 5 Billion EC. Within 30 days of my purchase of my fifth Saurian Cryptic went in and nerfed the Efficient trait. My crew became worthless overnight. It really pissed off a ton of players who bought these expensive bridge officers. Myself included...

you obviously mean 1 million (or maybe 10 million or 100 million), because the exchange most certainly did NOT have a 1 billion posting limit during the period before efficient was nerfed - it was upped to that some time in 2017/18, and efficient had already been nerfed by the time i started playing back in 2012​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    I believe that Rare Romulan Embassy Boff with SRO actually turns VR in the Roster because it has two Superior.
    *looks it up* Oh... The Embassy Boffs actually have FOUR superior traits if you get the ones that show as purple quality in the store. People usually recommend the blue one because the purple ones don't have Operative.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.