test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Section 31's writer's room already producing scripts

2»

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I do wonder how the Empress, aka everyones favourite Cannibal Spy Space TRIBBLE Warrior Queen is getting back from 900 hundred years in the future. Assuming Section 31 is going to be set back then, we don't actually know the Star Date when Section 31 is going to be set. Isn't time travel fun (and mind bending).
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I do wonder how the Empress, aka everyones favourite Cannibal Spy Space TRIBBLE Warrior Queen is getting back from 900 hundred years in the future. Assuming Section 31 is going to be set back then, we don't actually know the Star Date when Section 31 is going to be set. Isn't time travel fun (and mind bending).

It is likely that Section 31 is going to be set before Control wiped out most of Section 31. It will probably focus on when Empress Georgiou was first recruited into Section 31 until Airiam's death.
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It is likely that Section 31 is going to be set before Control wiped out most of Section 31. It will probably focus on when Empress Georgiou was first recruited into Section 31 until Airiam's death.

I doubt that, the time frame is too short between when she is first recruited and the start of season 2 of Discovery.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > It is likely that Section 31 is going to be set before Control wiped out most of Section 31. It will probably focus on when Empress Georgiou was first recruited into Section 31 until Airiam's death.

I doubt that, the time frame is too short between when she is first recruited and the start of season 2 of Discovery.

A lot of that probably depends on exactly when the decision was made to pull the plug on the 2250s and jump the shark to the future. I get the feeling that it was something they waffled over until the last minute and if so it is quite possible that the S31 concept assumes that DSC would have continued as it was.

If they wanted to keep the series between Georgiou's appearance and Airiam's death they could do it by compression, similar to the way "24" was set up, though not necessarily quite as tight. On the other hand, it could be set in the future the rest of the DSC crew are stuck in, after all cockroaches do tend to be survivors so S31 may be in a fairly good position after the fall.

Or Georgiou may simply be back in the 2250s without explanation (a sort of tradition of the old-style serials) and it would even give them the opportunity to trot out the old "interrupted explanation" schtick to go with the other oldies like the propped open door schtick they used in S2E1.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Its absolutely not going to be set then. Georgiou is going to return to the 23rd century, without Michael and the crew, to be in the S31 show. The producers have already stated this multiple times.

That is incredibly stupid. If Empress Georgiou is able to go back to the 23rd Century, then why not everyone else? The season finale was about sending the sphere's data into the future using Discovery so Control or other potential enemies wouldn't be able to use the data to destroy the Federation. There was no need for the main crew of Discovery to give up their life in the 23rd Century. All they needed to do in the season finale was send Discovery to the future by itself or have a sacrificial crew member pilot Discovery to the future. Also, a devastated Federation in the future is the perfect place for Empress Georgiou to have lots of fun.

It makes far more sense for Empress Georgiou to stay with Burnham in the distant future than go back to the 23rd Century or have never gone with Burnham to the future than to go to the future and decide to travel back in time without Burnham.
    edited December 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > A lot of that probably depends on exactly when the decision was made to pull the plug on the 2250s and jump the shark to the future. I get the feeling that it was something they waffled over until the last minute and if so it is quite possible that the S31 concept assumes that DSC would have continued as it was.
    >
    > If they wanted to keep the series between Georgiou's appearance and Airiam's death they could do it by compression, similar to the way "24" was set up, though not necessarily quite as tight. On the other hand, it could be set in the future the rest of the DSC crew are stuck in, after all cockroaches do tend to be survivors so S31 may be in a fairly good position after the fall.
    >
    > Or Georgiou may simply be back in the 2250s without explanation (a sort of tradition of the old-style serials) and it would even give them the opportunity to trot out the old "interrupted explanation" schtick to go with the other oldies like the propped open door schtick they used in S2E1.

All of this is 1000 percent wrong. Not one thing you said has anything whatever to do with what actually happened. The arc for the series was planned from day 1, from before they started filming season 1 they planned to travel into the future after reconciling Michael and Spock. No part of it was "waffled over" no part of it was "last minute" and Georgioi's return to the 23rd century is a part of the season 3 arc. All of this has been repeatedly confirmed by producers, writers, and cast members, this information is quite publicly available.

I get you don't like it, even though you clearly haven't watched and therefore have no earthly idea what the frak yoir talking about but good grief man all of this information has been reiterated over and over again in every interview.

No, passing off what I said with "I get you don't like it" and implying I am just another DSC hater or whatever is not a valid argument. It is also not even accurate since I don't hate the series, I am rather indifferent about it in of itself actually though I admit I think they could have done much better if it was produced by someone who actually understood TOS and did not disparage it like most of the DSC people do in the behind the scenes interview stuff.

And I have missed actually watching some of the episodes (especially in season two) but I have kept up with the plot via transcripts and clips and whatnot so while I am obviously missing some of the nuances I do have a good idea of the overall plot.

As for the standard Hollywood fairytale about everything being planned out in detail from the start, I know enough about the industry to know it never actually happens that way. Sure, they often have fairly elaborate concepts in the beginning and a good ballpark idea of how it will all map out, but like battle plans it never survives contact with production realities completely intact. Almost always it is far more like the way Harry Potter describes the way their plans always go (in "The Deathly Hallows") than anything else, and there are always kludges and improvisations in every production. Pretending otherwise is a longstanding Hollywood tradition.

And any producer with any sense at all sets option points in a series that is as controversial as DSC as a way to hopefully steer away from likely disaster as feedback starts coming in either from the show itself or reaction to "leaked" materials like DSC had so many of during the long rocky runup to its premiere. CBS had too much riding on it to do otherwise and those points are recognizable if you know what to look for. It is not a case of me trolling the show or whatever, it is a case of CBS not being stupid. Call it "damage control" or call it "audience aware dynamic plotting" or whatever else you like, it is actually something they are doing right and I am not faulting them for it.

As for the "1000 percent wrong" thing, there was nothing there to get wrong in the first place, I speculated about various ways they could do things, like for instance fit the series in the narrow gap between Georiou's appearance and Airaim's death if they wanted to go that route. Speculations are not facts that can be wrong, just illustrations of possibilities.
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > > (Quote)
    > >
    > > A lot of that probably depends on exactly when the decision was made to pull the plug on the 2250s and jump the shark to the future. I get the feeling that it was something they waffled over until the last minute and if so it is quite possible that the S31 concept assumes that DSC would have continued as it was.
    > >
    > > If they wanted to keep the series between Georgiou's appearance and Airiam's death they could do it by compression, similar to the way "24" was set up, though not necessarily quite as tight. On the other hand, it could be set in the future the rest of the DSC crew are stuck in, after all cockroaches do tend to be survivors so S31 may be in a fairly good position after the fall.
    > >
    > > Or Georgiou may simply be back in the 2250s without explanation (a sort of tradition of the old-style serials) and it would even give them the opportunity to trot out the old "interrupted explanation" schtick to go with the other oldies like the propped open door schtick they used in S2E1.
    >
    > All of this is 1000 percent wrong. Not one thing you said has anything whatever to do with what actually happened. The arc for the series was planned from day 1, from before they started filming season 1 they planned to travel into the future after reconciling Michael and Spock. No part of it was "waffled over" no part of it was "last minute" and Georgioi's return to the 23rd century is a part of the season 3 arc. All of this has been repeatedly confirmed by producers, writers, and cast members, this information is quite publicly available.
    >
    > I get you don't like it, even though you clearly haven't watched and therefore have no earthly idea what the frak yoir talking about but good grief man all of this information has been reiterated over and over again in every interview.

Even I don't buy that .
    Might they set Section 31 in Picards time ? I mean if there has to be time travel anyways ?
    https://filmdaily.co/news/star-trek-section-31/

It's supposed to Premiere mid 2020, right in the middle of Discovery Season 3. Pulling that off seems unlikely, but it would be cool to have Lower Decks Season 1, ST: Picard Season 1, Discovery Season 3, Short Treks Season 3 and Section 31 all in 2020. It'd be pretty epic of they can pull that off.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, I don't think all of season 3 of Discovery will be set in the future. The previews feel like a bad future that needs to be averted, thus they'll go back to fix that. Then we do S31.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @markhawkman said:
    > yeah, I don't think all of season 3 of Discovery will be set in the future. The previews feel like a bad future that needs to be averted, thus they'll go back to fix that. Then we do S31.

Yeah I kind of got that vibe too. I guess we will see if we were right.
    yeah, I don't think all of season 3 of Discovery will be set in the future. The previews feel like a bad future that needs to be averted, thus they'll go back to fix that. Then we do S31.

It seems like the whole reason why Discovery went to the future is to avoid all the complaints about Discovery ruining muh canon for various Star Trek fans. With it being 900 years in the future, then the writers can write about whatever they want without having to worry about other Star Trek series. Season 2 was saturated with fixing the future through time travel so a lot of fans will be tired of more of the same for Season 3.

A possibility is that Discovery's crew goes to the late 24th Century and makes a cameo in the Picard series with the Section 31 series in the same era. Then there is the issue about what was said about Section 31 in a Vanity Fair Interview.
    It occupies an area of the Trek universe that's never really been explored geographically. It has a new mythology to it, which is very interesting. And it puts Michelle's character to the test in a lot of ways that Discovery can't. In some ways it will be her Unforgiven, I would say.

Section 31 could take place in another galaxy or universe for all we know since Enterprise, TOS, and TNG explored the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, DS9 explored the Gamma Quadrant, and Voyager Explored the Delta Quadrant. It would be interesting if Section 31 takes place in the Mirror Universe making the most evil Federation organization into the good guys by comparison.
    starkaos wrote: »

It seems like the whole reason why Discovery went to the future is to avoid all the complaints about Discovery ruining muh canon for various Star Trek fans. With it being 900 years in the future, then the writers can write about whatever they want without having to worry about other Star Trek series. Season 2 was saturated with fixing the future through time travel so a lot of fans will be tired of more of the same for Season 3.

A possibility is that Discovery's crew goes to the late 24th Century and makes a cameo in the Picard series with the Section 31 series in the same era. Then there is the issue about what was said about Section 31 in a Vanity Fair Interview.
    It occupies an area of the Trek universe that's never really been explored geographically. It has a new mythology to it, which is very interesting. And it puts Michelle's character to the test in a lot of ways that Discovery can't. In some ways it will be her Unforgiven, I would say.

Section 31 could take place in another galaxy or universe for all we know since Enterprise, TOS, and TNG explored the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, DS9 explored the Gamma Quadrant, and Voyager Explored the Delta Quadrant. It would be interesting if Section 31 takes place in the Mirror Universe making the most evil Federation organization into the good guys by comparison.

That is why the epic nonsense is so stupid. As if there is only room for one story at a time in each quarter of the galaxy or more. In TOS (and TAS) the hero ship was one of many, since then it has been the only one that could make any difference at all, which it totally ridiculous, a sign of lazy writing.