test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questions regarding Romulan ship bridges and allied captains

ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
With the change not too long ago, to open the gates for allied captains to access Romulan ships, I noticed something about the bridges. If you pick a Romulan ship, and decide to pop over to the bridge, it only shows a single Bridge Officer and a bunch of generic Romulans. Usually the one that sits in the commander seat. Is this working as intended? Shouldn't there be accurate(more or less) BOFF avatar representation on the bridge, like there is for the KDF and Fed ships? Or is this because the devs had originally hooked the bridge a certain way, because they never originally intended to have slots that weren't taken up by a Reman, Tovan, Hiven, and other Romulan NPCs?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well, this is one of the weird things. Boff bridge hooks are apparently faction conditional. It gets weirder when you have subfactions. This bridge may have simply not been programmed to use anything but Romulans.

*tinkers with it on several characters*

Fed: highest ranked tac on bridge
    TOS Fed: same
    Disco Fed: same, or First Tac boff acquired(because I was using a holo-boff as bridge crew)
    KDF:... it pulled ANDREA... Who wasn't even assigned as bridge crew or a tactical officer. Best guess? because she's tagged as TOS Starfleet. Removing Andrea from my away team caused it to use the boff in commander seat(Sarish Minna)
    KDF2: pulled the eng Nausi in the commander seat.
    Jem'hadar: it used one of the tutorial Jem'hadar boffs.

things get weird when you're using holo boffs since those sometiems refuse to show up in interiors.

As a test I had one of my characters slot TOS replica holo-boffs in all the bridge and away team slots... it used Elisa Flores.

So yeah, it's weird, seemingly inconsistent, and hard to understand.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I've only got maybe....5 T6 Romulan ships(the 3 command warbirds, Faeht, and Hathos). I was excited to see if my main's family of boffs would show up on the bridge when the gates opened, only to find out that the boff version of his brother was present.
    Since I don't own a Romulan sci ship, I don't know if a boff like Nelen Exil will work either. Haven't commissioned the Breen boff I've had for years, so I don't know if he'll work on a Romulan bridge either.
    With the recent bridge invite woes having happened, it's another disappointment heaped on.
    Well I think the core issue is that the Tac2, Sci1/2, Eng1/2 slots are all coded to only use Republic Boffs. The Tac1 seat is normally occupied by Tovan, but it works differently on Non-Romulans.

Doing this reminded me that I've never been able to successfully force the Warbird bridge to use non Romulan boffs as a Romulan. This may be part of how the Romulan interior is..... weird. When building it the devs seem to have... wellll… taken a few shortcuts to make a bridge that works for red/blue/neither. IE instead of talking to NPCs in the interior you talk to a bridge console for doffing. There ARE locations for NPCS and trophies, but you don't actually have the ability to use either. It's possible a similar shortcut was taken to make the boff stations use Republic boffs because it was easier than figuring out how to make it use allied boffs. BUT, as a Fed/KDF/Jem you can't recruit Republic boffs…. at all. you can recruit Romulan Boffs at the Embassy, but they're tagged as either Fed or KDF, and not Republic.

Also all of this seems to be equally true of the Scimitar bridge.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    The behavior is not too surprising with a database that was probably never intended for cross-faction use.
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    KDF:... it pulled ANDREA... Who wasn't even assigned as bridge crew or a tactical officer. Best guess? because she's tagged as TOS Starfleet. Removing Andrea from my away team caused it to use the boff in commander seat(Sarish Minna)

How did you manage to get a holo and Andrea on a KDF bridge? Which KDF bridge is that? Could you share the settings? The holo boff never appears on any bridges. I would like to replicate.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    deleted double post

OPv9m3F.jpg
    edited November 2019
    sarah2774 wrote: »
    How did you manage to get a holo and Andrea on a KDF bridge? Which KDF bridge is that? Could you share the settings? The holo boff never appears on any bridges. I would like to replicate.
    Good question. My best guess as to why holos don't show is related to licensing, but not all holos are based on actor likenesses, such as Sarish Minna. But yeah, she doesn't normally show on bridges.

Actually, I just tried to get the game to spawn Andrea on the Koloth bridge and FAILED. Which is super weird. Hmm I guess since she's modeled on a real person she's normally excluded? Tried on Sompek too. Managed to get Sompek to fill all seven seats. Despite filling my BoP's commander slot Sarish was not seen, and Andrea didn't show despite being in a LtC slot. However all four boffs in my away team showed up.

Hmmm SUPER weird, They don't normally show up on bridges at all, but the Warbird bridge has a weird preference for them?
    Post edited by markhawkman on
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.