test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your special maneuver in battle

grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
I was just wondering if my fellow players have developed their own fighting maneuvers in battle. If you have can you please share and tell us how you came up with it and how it has worked for you.

My maneuver is using Gravity Well on a group of ships and then using tractor beam repulsors to move them away causing damage. Then after that I will use Forced Challenge to bring a ship back to me.
Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, mine is boring..

1. Aim my ship at the bad guys.
    2. Open Fire
    3. Repeat until the map is clear.

:lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    This is a very complex question and would take more time than I have to explain it in detail for all my builds. :)

If I try to sum it up a bit my chain of ability activation or “pattern of attack” as the OP put it is motivated by two things I aim for:

1) Get the game played as comfortable as possible: Sometimes I play for hours, sometimes when I’m tiered. The less I have to think about the basics the more I can think about the important… not to mention the more my mind is free for fun.

2) We get more and more abilities in STO, that’s for sure. If it all ends in a 25 second ISA run there is not much time to think, not much time to decide at which moment of a fight you should do what. If you have more powers to engage than seconds available to do so in a run you have a problem and are lucky enough if you just get them activated all in time.

Best course of action for me was to listen to experienced players like Felisean or Hellspawny and set up a key bind file which allows me to think in advance and in more general, abstract if you will, how an attack should roll out.

At the moment all my builds (no matter if cannons, beams, torpedos or exotics - no matter if DPS, tanking or support) have three forms of "attack chains" whose elements make sense to put together. Each of them are in one line and get activated one by one in a fight.

1) Basic attacks (line 5 in the pic): stuff like EPtX, AP, Firing modes, Teams, CD management like aux2bat, batteries, launch of pets -> those attacks are always active and are engaged the moment they become available

2) Powerful situational attacks (line 6 in pic): general buff captain powers, miracle worker boff powers, clicky consoles with long CD times -> those abilities get engaged on demand when you face a target rich environment

3) Hyper target attacks (line 7 in the pic): Focused Frenzy, Fire on my Mark, Relocate Mines -> stuff which is usually saved for a single event on a map like boss fights and which is best coordinated with your team.

The picture shows the attacks of my kinetic torpedo/mine build as an example. I gave it to a buddy who set up the recently released veteran ship in a similar fashion. I choose this one because it is the only one I have handy. The others like rather similar, just with other powers.

hREY2wp.jpg

Activation of the lines in STO works from right to left. Thanks to the system I can interchange stuff at any time before a fight and then use it without thinking in the actual fight. Downside of the system is that in the heat of the battel I can’t really decide which power of a line gets activated so it could easily happen that I "overkill" stuff. That’s too bad but the main benefit prevails:

I have controls so simple that my teddy bear can handle daily business in PvE and I have a realistic chance to concentrate on the actual flying in engaging scenarios like fast/teamed/high DPS ISA/HSE matches as well. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Depends on the ship.

In a fast-attack boat like a Bajoran raider, I'll dive in at half-speed, cannon blazing, pull up at the last moment while accelerating, and leave a little present behind from the aft-mounted minelayer.

In a heavier cruiser, like the Yorktown-class pictured below, I'll head into the middle of the crowd of enemies with BFAW on. (Except against those guys in Delta Quad with their artillery barrage. That's... not a good tactic against them.)

And in my newest acquisition, the Sommerville-class USS Panther Modern, I like to head toward the enemy with phasers ablaze, then as I pass by hit them with the mycelial burst. Eats their shields like boiling water on a snowman.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Explode violently, usually
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    hREY2wp.jpg
    What's that ability next to the two hangar pet abilities on the bottom right?

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Most space encounters in the game these days are resolved by rhythmically tapping the spacebar until the explosions stop.

All the while wishing the PC version had ability autofire like consoles, to save my poor keyboard.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    Most space encounters in the game these days are resolved by rhythmically tapping the spacebar until the explosions stop.

All the while wishing the PC version had ability autofire like consoles, to save my poor keyboard.

Maybe you can explain this to me, because I never understood it..

Lets say you mapped your entire offensive load out to space.. and then you mashed it to fire everything..

It would put everything on a 15 second global (minimum) while your powers cycle.. so why would anyone hit spacebar over and over again?

I just never understood why people say they 'mash space bar over and over again' when there is litterally no reason to do that. At most, once every 5-6 seconds if you had things coming off cooldown at different times.. but over and over? why?
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    hREY2wp.jpg
    What's that ability next to the two hangar pet abilities on the bottom right?

Oh, only the fireworks. Something I always use manually. :)

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Fireworks
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options

Lets say you mapped your entire offensive load out to space.. and then you mashed it to fire everything..

It would put everything on a 15 second global (minimum) while your powers cycle.. so why would anyone hit spacebar over and over again?

I just never understood why people say they 'mash space bar over and over again' when there is litterally no reason to do that. At most, once every 5-6 seconds if you had things coming off cooldown at different times.. but over and over? why?
    1. If you have stuff cooming off cd only once every 5-6 seconds, you can't have that many abilities in the list. That's just 3 abilities at 15 seconds.
    2. Once every 5-6 seconds would still be "over and over again."
    3. Looking at rows of buttons to see when they come off cooldowns is boring anyway. I didn't used to have them even visible, until they enabled making the second tray horizontal.
  • Options

1. If you have stuff cooming off cd only once every 5-6 seconds, you can't have that many abilities in the list. That's just 3 abilities at 15 seconds.
    2. Once every 5-6 seconds would still be "over and over again."
    3. Looking at rows of buttons to see when they come off cooldowns is boring anyway. I didn't used to have them even visible, until they enabled making the second tray horizontal.

I have quite a bit in my bind tray and it's not that often. But I get it now.. I thought you meant you just hit Space constantly without stopping. Hitting a bind every 5 or 6 seconds sounds about right, I was just picturing you mashing the bar over and over nonstop which was apparently inaccurate.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    ...And in my newest acquisition, the Sommerville-class USS Panther Modern...

Ahh a Neuromancer fan I see, you sir, have taste.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    1) Use "Charge" Emote.
    2) Light off fireworks device
    3) Realize I'm still cloaked
    4) Repeat steps 1/2 while decloaking
    5) Realize I never slotted weapons
    6) Explode :D
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »

Ahh a Neuromancer fan I see, you sir, have taste.​​
    Well, the Sommerville is designed for intel-gathering, and can cloak - and a Panther Modern in his polymimetic-carbon coveralls was the closest analogue I could think of.. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    1. Enter map.
    2. Launch great lumps of explodium at enemy while zipping through their formation.
    3. Come about 180 degrees.
    4. Repeat as needed.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »

Ahh a Neuromancer fan I see, you sir, have taste.
    Well, the Sommerville is designed for intel-gathering, and can cloak - and a Panther Modern in his polymimetic-carbon coveralls was the closest analogue I could think of.. :smile:

Makes sense to me.

OK, back to the OPs question.

Attack Pattern Shea:
    Head straight into the target at 1/2 or better speed.
    At approx 1km from the target trigger the Chains of Fire, immediately hit the Soliton wave generator.
    Trigger lock trajectory, spin 180 degrees, bringing my forward DHCs onto the target which is being drug behind me by the chains, and getting battered by the Soliton wave. Then activate all abilities which boost cannons, and torpedos. About the time m lock trajectory wears off the target (and usually a couple others) are hulks twisting in the solar winds.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    I have quite a bit in my bind tray and it's not that often. But I get it now.. I thought you meant you just hit Space constantly without stopping. Hitting a bind every 5 or 6 seconds sounds about right, I was just picturing you mashing the bar over and over nonstop which was apparently inaccurate.

Thanks for the clarification.
    No, of course not. Mashing it too fast wouldn't work anyway, since there are activation delays. But it does get tapped regularly because there's lots of stuff on it.

I've worn a shiny spot on the plastic where my thumb hits it. :D
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    My favourite tactic involves my sci char in the Tholian Iktomi.

Aux at 135 (don't need any real power to weapons energy as she's a torpedo boat), Particle Generation at 394.

- Drop GWIII on a group of enemy ships
    - Drop Gravitic Induction Platform in, or very near, the GWIII to further weaken enemy ships
    - Trap the whole lot in a Tholian Web using the Web Generator
    - Line up and blast the contents of the Web/GWIII with the Tholian Web Cannon
    - Use a combo of Torpedo spread III and Delayed Overload Cascade to finish the job

Seems a very effective strategy, and quite often find that the smaller ships are dead at the 'Web generator' stage. In fact, I did this in stage six of an (event) run of Kobiashi Maru and helped the team actually keep the Maru alive, since the majority of the enemy ships couldn't get close enough to target her, and Delayed Overload Cascade is more effective against multiple targets - and in this case wound up slamming the Vaaudwar ships into the sides of the web they were trapped inside >:)

Nice, but no web mines? With the teleport mines captain skill they're fun to use again :)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Fly in, shoot weapons off, fly around and activate abilities and shoot some more until everything dies.

Never used keybinds or anything else like that. I activate things manually.

Yeah, not very organized but I manage to kill things before I die, most of the time.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    If I'm about to go down...
    "Initiate Maneuver Last Act of Freakin' Defiance"
    AKA FIRE EVERYTHING!

Otherwise... basic combat maneuvers unless I'm on my TOS Sci, in which case...

EAT GRAVITY WELL 3 SUCKA! MUA HAHAHAHAHA
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User

It doesn't quite work like you think. You can't activate more than one ability at a time no matter how many you have mapped to the same key. Every time you hit space it triggers the next power in line. There's also a delay between activations of about half a second so you can't just hit the button as fast as possible and trigger 20 powers in 2 seconds. So you have to pace the presses. It's a bit mindless but it means you can concentrate on pointing your ship the right way while your crew takes care of mundane blasting tasks.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
  • Options
    edxelledxell Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    I have different strategies depending on the ship. Some fun ones:

Sea of green: Flamberd with Chronoplasma dual heavy cannons and the romulan hyper plasma torpedo. Get a few enemies in front of you then uncloak & pop your buffs, Gravity Well and Cannon Scatter Volley. Once enemies are grouped together a bit pop torpedo spread. 2 torpedos for each target and enemies are grouped close together so they take splash damage from other targets too. With a projectile weapons officer and the withering barrage trait I can launch silly amoults of plasma at anything in my forward arc.

The Shakespere Manoeuvre: Kor loaded with all torpedos. Stays cloaked forever. Pop Torpedo Spread, Kemocite and Gravity Well then open fire. Use Tachyon Beam to strip shields. Keep running Emergency power to engines and Aux to Structural for defense. Once your attack run is over run away and wait for cooldowns then go again.

The sit there and shoot manoeuvre: Not really a strategy but I have a turret build APU Cruiser that's much more effective than I ever thought it would be. I made sure every offensive ability was effective at 360 degrees. I just point whichever shield is highest at the enemy and shoot until it dies.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Shield drain beam, Picard Maneuver, torpedo spread
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Make an aggressive move, all guns blazing then turn broadside and rake them during the turn, before firing all my rear weapons and torps.
    Age of sail tactics STO style
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      reyan01 wrote: »
      My favourite tactic involves my sci char in the Tholian Iktomi.

Aux at 135 (don't need any real power to weapons energy as she's a torpedo boat), Particle Generation at 394.

- Drop GWIII on a group of enemy ships
      - Drop Gravitic Induction Platform in, or very near, the GWIII to further weaken enemy ships
      - Trap the whole lot in a Tholian Web using the Web Generator
      - Line up and blast the contents of the Web/GWIII with the Tholian Web Cannon
      - Use a combo of Torpedo spread III and Delayed Overload Cascade to finish the job

Seems a very effective strategy, and quite often find that the smaller ships are dead at the 'Web generator' stage. In fact, I did this in stage six of an (event) run of Kobiashi Maru and helped the team actually keep the Maru alive, since the majority of the enemy ships couldn't get close enough to target her, and Delayed Overload Cascade is more effective against multiple targets - and in this case wound up slamming the Vaaudwar ships into the sides of the web they were trapped inside >:)

I actually like that maneuver. Very nice
    • Options
      edxell wrote: »
      I have different strategies depending on the ship. Some fun ones:

Sea of green: Flamberd with Chronoplasma dual heavy cannons and the romulan hyper plasma torpedo. Get a few enemies in front of you then uncloak & pop your buffs, Gravity Well and Cannon Scatter Volley. Once enemies are grouped together a bit pop torpedo spread. 2 torpedos for each target and enemies are grouped close together so they take splash damage from other targets too. With a projectile weapons officer and the withering barrage trait I can launch silly amoults of plasma at anything in my forward arc.

The Shakespere Manoeuvre: Kor loaded with all torpedos. Stays cloaked forever. Pop Torpedo Spread, Kemocite and Gravity Well then open fire. Use Tachyon Beam to strip shields. Keep running Emergency power to engines and Aux to Structural for defense. Once your attack run is over run away and wait for cooldowns then go again.

The sit there and shoot manoeuvre: Not really a strategy but I have a turret build APU Cruiser that's much more effective than I ever thought it would be. I made sure every offensive ability was effective at 360 degrees. I just point whichever shield is highest at the enemy and shoot until it dies.

I might try some of those maneuvers. Very nice
    • Options
      davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
      For my ships with only Lt. Commander Science I like Gravity Well 1 + Torp Spread + (if I have it) Scramble Sensors + BFAW.

There are no doubt better DPS strategies, but it's a fun combo.
    • Options
      trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
      Fly in circles and press spacebar.
      Mm5NeXy.gif
    • Options
      askatus wrote: »

It doesn't quite work like you think. You can't activate more than one ability at a time no matter how many you have mapped to the same key. Every time you hit space it triggers the next power in line. There's also a delay between activations of about half a second so you can't just hit the button as fast as possible and trigger 20 powers in 2 seconds. So you have to pace the presses. It's a bit mindless but it means you can concentrate on pointing your ship the right way while your crew takes care of mundane blasting tasks.

Yes, I understand that, but I don't bind more then 5 or 6 abilities to any one key so I don't have the need to press something 20 times to get through the chain. I keep my binds shorter for the exact reason you said, so by the time I fire the entire bind, I don't have any of those abilities off cooldown yet and no reason to 'mash' that bind over and over.

I was simply misunderstanding exactly what the poster I was responding to was saying about 'mashing space,' which he clarified for me.

tm706 wrote: »
      1) Use "Charge" Emote.
      2) Light off fireworks device
      3) Realize I'm still cloaked
      4) Repeat steps 1/2 while decloaking
      5) Realize I never slotted weapons
      6) Explode :D

I like this method.. with the current method of queues that are impossible to fail, I might just start running this instead. Seems WAY more fun then what I'm currently doing. :lol:
    • Options
      warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
      Mine is [SPACEBAR] o:)
      XzRTofz.gif
    This discussion has been closed.