test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unique bridges unlocked for all your ships

2»

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I find it funny how little people appreciate ST canon. This is a universe where people can be surgically altered to easily pass as an entirely different species, where faster than light travel is easy, energy is limitless, can be used to generate realistic holograms, and real matter can be generated essentially at will. But oh we can't have a ship with different internal composition than what we've already seen!

But my idea of a Scimitar bridge on a Defiant is already essentially canon. See Voyager episode Hope and Fear, aka the Dauntless episode. Beyond trickery, what is preventing anyone from building a Defiant hull with a Thalaron reactor?

This argument has already been had many times here in refitting and updating ships and has been settled. No there isn't a reason you can't take a hull that looks like a TOS era ship and give it completely modern internals. Why then can't you give it the internals of a Romulan or Klingon ship?

And why would you care anyway? Suppose I did fly a Defiant with a Thalaron reactor. How could that possibly affect you? You'll never see it.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I find it funny how little people appreciate ST canon.
    (...)
    Suppose I did fly a Defiant with a Thalaron reactor.
    Did you read this before you posted? Because your first statement is odd when combined with your last.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    You cannot put a Scim bridge on a Defiant because its too frakking tall. It would be open to space at the top because it would go right through the hull. Geeze, think for a second, it would be like trying to put a 2 story atrium in a microhome.
    Or putting a runabout interior on the single-seat Aeon timeship that's small enough to fit inside the interior with room to spare?

Fact is the game doesn't care about such things. You can totally put a large default interior on a Defiant if you want.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »
    I find it funny how little people appreciate ST canon.
    (...)
    Suppose I did fly a Defiant with a Thalaron reactor.
    Did you read this before you posted? Because your first statement is odd when combined with your last.

Do you understand the concepts Star Trek has shown us? The various things we have seen in ST do nothing to preclude the possibility, and in fact support the possibility. IDIC.

But perhaps you are suggesting that Romulans would never build a ship that looks like its from another faction? No you're probably right, the Tal Shiar would never allow such deceptive practices. Neither would the Iconians would they?

Game canon already allows for this sort of thing: Romulan drone ships with the Scimitars hangars, Iconian fake ships, photonic fleet, the holographic latinum toys; Various decoy ships; NX-01 fitted with bio-neural gel paks, transphasic torpedoes, a temporally shielded datacore and the most advanced polaron weapons around.

Why is there something wrong with any bridge any ship again? Build a shell, fit it with whatever you want to. It is how real life works. Won't fit? Advancements that simplify the tech, miniaturization of the tech, even nanotechnology. You can hold a thousand million earths in the palm of your hand if you were holding a black hole. I guess Romulans know nothing about that though do they?
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    Just because something happened once, or happened under a specific set of circumstances, doesn't always make it the default rule. At the end of the day, if we want to go with the "it's possible in-universe" excuse, then there should be no restrictions on anything because Q exists.

But no matter how much anyone stretches/bends/selects pieces from canon to make an "it's possible" excuse, it doesn't matter - because it clearly isn't the way the game is going. Sure, what you're saying is technically possible in-universe. But it isn't, and shows no signs of becoming, an option in game. You can theorize all you want, but it's not a thing.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    You cannot put a Scim bridge on a Defiant because its too frakking tall. It would be open to space at the top because it would go right through the hull. Geeze, think for a second, it would be like trying to put a 2 story atrium in a microhome.

And yet, in season 2 of TNG, the USS Lantri, a miranda class, had a galaxy class bridge. I always thought that to be odd.

A Miranda is a light cruiser, so while a heavy cruiser bridge might be a waste of space it is doable since the sizes are not too far off. On the other hand, the Defiant is a frigate-sized heavily automated destroyer with the absolute minimum in crew space, putting a two-deck high heavy dreadnaught bridge on it would be too much any way you look at it.
This discussion has been closed.