test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting it seems they are going to add Hair physics into the game soon!

thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
Last update they animated the andorian and alien gen antanee and it seems they are doing more of this to include hair styles. They are also animating the cat races fur and whiskers. It will be interesting to see this but I don't think it will be done with every hair style but more like with the newer updated 2.0 versions of the hair styles they have put in. It will be really interesting to see how it all moves and everything. I'd imagine this isn't going in next week but maybe coming with the next major update. What are your thoughts? Are you happy this is coming to the game? Share your opinion on the upcoming changes!
This is in the latest Tribble patch notes.
Caitians and Ferasans have finally learned how to properly open their mouths.
Hair physics have been added to all Caitian and Ferasan hairstyles and fur facial features, including whiskers.
Caitian and Ferasan ears are now animated.
Hair physics have been added to appropriate male and female hairstyles and mouth accessories for all NPCs and players.
NPC and Player Sphere Builder ships now have animated parts.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I'm just glad my cats are finally going to be opening their mouths instead of the weird psychological horror stitched-shut stretching they do now.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Agreed about Caitians and Ferasan. And it's about time, too.
    As for the rest... I'm gonna check it out on Tribble, but they can't even animate capes right. I don't want to imagine what's gonna happen with fur, whiskers and hairs normal-11.gif​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    Agreed about Caitians and Ferasan. And it's about time, too.
    As for the rest... I'm gonna check it out on Tribble, but they can't even animate capes right. I don't want to imagine what's gonna happen with fur, whiskers and hairs normal-11.gif​​

Just a heads-up. We encountered issues when several of us on the reddit/sto discord channel patched tribble (essentially as soon as the patch notes hit) but none of us could login. The head of QA herself let us know they encountered a major failure in the build that did not show itself in their internal testing.

They have the crash reports, and there engineering team are investigating what has occurred. However, at this time there is no ETA on when you can login. You can patch tribble just fine, but when you try to login it will time out on you.

Also, they did tell us (but the posts have been deleted from twitter and facebook) that this tribble patch is special. New code branch, and alot of "under the hood" items they would like us to test. I suspect this is step 1 of the big items and other things being planned for 10th anniversary.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    That means hair is gonna move and flow while the character moves about? Like in those wrestling games? I have a few and the character's hair moves and flows about as they do.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    neat, is it bad my first thought was: how long until it glitches out in an amusing fashion?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    That means hair is gonna move and flow while the character moves about? Like in those wrestling games? I have a few and the character's hair moves and flows about as they do.

I assume it's gonna like in WoW, so broad movements should look OK but the details will be off or missing.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well the game already has similar physics in capes and loincloths, so as much as I will like to see my hair moving, its going to bug out and get stuck in my head or up in the air, or whatever. Its pretty much a guarantee to be a bit silly at times.

That said, since its taken them 10 years to do this for hair, maybe it will be much more refined and less buggy.
  • bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    When it release, you going to see lot of players access the same new features, either it going to be very lag or going to crash the system while having your hair do.
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I'm thinking it will be about as animated as some of the SWToR hair, but nowhere near Conan Exiles or Witcher levels. I would love to see more long pony tails and braids added if this does work.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I await the chance to see my Captains long hair bug out and blow in the direction she's running, rather than behind her...
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well the game already has similar physics in capes and loincloths, so as much as I will like to see my hair moving, its going to bug out and get stuck in my head or up in the air, or whatever. Its pretty much a guarantee to be a bit silly at times.

That said, since its taken them 10 years to do this for hair, maybe it will be much more refined and less buggy.
    As someone who uses the capes a lot... it's usually not silly. only occasionally is it silly. The issue I see most often is on my LibBorg Romulan where the TOS shoulder scarf thing tends to hang twisted backwards for some reason.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    As someone who uses a lot of long hairstyles... can't wait to see how this works out. Already loving the v2 hairstyles, but adding physics too?
    Kinda eager to see how Ponytail 5 might change since that one's been locked over the shoulder forever. Wouldn't mind seeing it down the back.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Heads up folks, tribble is back online and you can login. Several people are looking into the hair stuff now
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    1Eod9Lu.jpg

Tested with hoverboard, floater and shuffle dance. Looks great but limited movement up and down when falling unlike the cape. So far notice it on the pigtail and ponytail.

Player sphere builder animation looks nice.
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Had a play last night only seemed to work on pony and pigtails. Its a nice addition to space barbie
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Heads up folks, tribble is back online and you can login. Several people are looking into the hair stuff now

It's up, but there's still some bugs that I've noticed (and mentioned in the Test Server Forum.

One: I can't switch characters without getting disconnected from the server and I can't log back in from the window you get by being kicked off. I have to exit the game completely and re-launch it to swap characters.

Even worse, I can't turn in the mission Beneath the Skin. The mission tracker says to contact command, but the button in the journal under the mission is greyed out. I don't know if that applies to all missions or just that one. I'd have to go run a regular mission to see.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
    edited October 2019
    captainkc wrote: »
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    You do know that the people who make animations have nothing to do with the bug fixing team, or the server team, or anything like that right?

Should be a statement on the front page of the forums your comment Som, or a variation of it. Amount of times alot of us have had to say it over the years :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    You do know that the people who make animations have nothing to do with the bug fixing team, or the server team, or anything like that right?

Quoted for Truth.
    People seem to think that all devs can do everything equally. Thus all the stupid demands of "drop everything and ONLY do bug fixing" and blaming everyone when one thing doesn't work or go their way.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Artists don't fix code bugs though. That's the thing. You can have your artists work on new stuff while your bug team works on bugs.

Could they do a better job? Of couse. But they can only do so much with the size of team they have. STO is not WoW or FF14. They aren't as big.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Artists don't fix code bugs though. That's the thing. You can have your artists work on new stuff while your bug team works on bugs.

Could they do a better job? Of couse. But they can only do so much with the size of team they have. STO is not WoW or FF14. They aren't as big.

and more importantly there's no such thing as a "bug free game", if Cryptic were to suspend all new content until all current bugs were fix they wouldn't add any new content ever again.

People should understand that adding new content is good sign about the health of the game and honest all things considering STO is quite bug free as it is, I've both heard and personally played games that remained in much worse condition then STO is atm.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

and more importantly there's no such thing as a "bug free game", if Cryptic were to suspend all new content until all current bugs were fix they wouldn't add any new content ever again.

People should understand that adding new content is good sign about the health of the game and honest all things considering STO is quite bug free as it is, I've both heard and personally played games that remained in much worse condition then STO is atm.

Bingo. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Was his name-o. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    I wonder if it will be as good as the new 'walks' that have been implemented.
    Seriously though, before they spend time/resources on hair, they really need to sort out these ridiculous new body animations. How did they even pass QA?
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It's on tribble therefore it's pretty much done already. Too late to debate what they "really need to" do first.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well to be honest, if you have artists that need something to do, getting them to fix low level bugs should be more than reasonable. Typos here and there, playtesting, and maybe they can do some mission bugs too.

That said, everyone knows the end game is space barbie. People have been complaining for years about the very limited KDF wardrobe, for example.

And finally, there is the potential to sell new animated hairstyles. Consider one of the reasons longer hair is not around is due to clipping issues and the fact it looks really weird if its not animated/physicked. If they can get the physics right, or mostly right, they could give us much longer hair to play with.
This discussion has been closed.