test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A ideal to liven up areas of the game not used or have removed maps from.

roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
An ideal to liven up the games less used areas. And provide a reason for them instead of simply having them die off of non use and pulled from the game.

With the personal endeavor system I see a possibility to drive attention and use to these old, forgotten, or removed maps. Like memory alpha for instance, or the original esd, the captain’s table, removed maps such as Star base 21 outside and inside. All such maps I think could be reused as well as the maps in the game still not used much if at all.

Give a player an endeavor to visit the captain’s table, hunt on a frozen planet for a klingon, Research a lost civilization on some far flung planet the map with the guardian of forever map springs to mind.
Why these endeavors could not be for everyone and if some received the captain’s table check in and some short issue to solve that cant access it would present a problem. But I don’t see why there can’t be a requirement check if a person has access to a map then for them the endeavor is a go if not it will get placed on a do not give list for that persons account. And like a Klingon hunt would not be given to a federation player. Why this limitation would need some thought on the devs part in doing this it is not out of the question as far as I can see with the games limits and would promote playing other species and factions. Have some for liberated borg only must visit the cooperative to help out or a joined trill needing to help transplant or transport a symbiont.

In these cases all that would be needed of the devs in the case of the trill mentioned above is to give a location needed to go to a short text blurb possible a random battle not hard to toss together at any planet as patrol is about the same thing. And give a location needed to take said trill to have it transplanted. So in the place of some deferi ship toss in a federation medical ship add a random few enemy ships and you have a mission that can cover an easy endeavor. Better missions and more involved such as multiple maps at different locations hunting down a fugitive or the like as medium or harder ones.

Why this would take a little time in the thought process to hammer out the problems that we as players can’t see that the devs would face. I don’t see it taking up much time in making the content as most if not all but a little writing already is in game or an older map that I would think not hard to bring back to the game with a few tweaks. Just a simple reason to drive players to explore these places and make use of the dead space and planets with no use on the map.

In any case just a ideal and something that could happen as a side project over time providing the devs see fit to do so or provide a little bit of resources to this end I am sure they can come up with better options than I have just typed as I am sure most of the player base can think of others as well.

What do you all think about this?
Also not sure if this is even the correct area to even list this so if wrong sorry.

EDIT: also this may have been asked before i have no ideal and have never seen it but if so can some one provide a link to it?
To be or not to be: B)

Comments

• Options
    An ideal to liven up the games less used areas. And provide a reason for them instead of simply having them die off of non use and pulled from the game.
    So instead of keeping/getting rid of maps based on if they actually have a reason to exist, you propose to FORCE the existence of said maps, and people's visiting of them, via the endeavor system?

I don't want to force anything. My point was to provide more options to the endevor system and a reason for maps to be in game. A place where i can expect more than shooting some random torpedo, or x damage of a type.

I would like a endevor to have some life to it and provide a link to a persons account and toons making it a true personal endevor. I don't play with Klingon's but a account that people do i think would enjoy the possibility to get to go on a hunt or 5 rounds of combat in a open arena on Qo'nos with a few npc's. this is already in game there as a starting part updating one to give better npc's would be in line with Klingons.

The point is to provide use and enjoyment for more people with a personal touch at the same time letting new players explore locations such as memory alpha. This may not be anything people want other than me enjoying the ideal of it and if that is the case so be it. But no force is not the ideal.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    So instead of keeping/getting rid of maps based on if they actually have a reason to exist, you propose to FORCE the existence of said maps, and people's visiting of them, via the endeavor system?
    By that logic the existence of the whole game, and players' playing of it, is "forced." :disappointed:

Things have a reason to exist, if and only if one is created for them.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    It's not a bad idea to add new endeavor-specific patrols and mini-missions.

The problem is that it requires a lot of extra work, that could be spent on something else like a new story episode or TFO.

The current endeavor system is built on recycling existing content. It picks things that already exist in game. That was "by design" to keep the development effort lower, and to get more use out of the existing game play.

People post many good ideas here in the forums. Almost all of them end up being ignored because STO is a small MMO compared to WoW, with a much smaller budget for development. After doing things that absolutely must get done there's not a lot of time left over for "would be nice" ideas.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    An Endeavor to visit the Captain's Table would only be doable by Lifers though. It excludes the majority of the game population.

Honestly we need a reason to visit Andoria besides the Aniversary Event Omega Stabilization. Vulcan is tied to some missions, but Andoria has nothing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    By that logic the existence of the whole game, and players' playing of it, is "forced."
    Not by a long shot.

Places like the battlezones, which the endeavors do lead players to, exist for reasons outside the endeavor system, as they connect to the larger game as a whole, both in story, and other gameplay systems like the reputation system.

Bringing back Mem Alpha, just for the sake of having the map again, and trying to justify it with "well we put an endeavor there" would be forcing Mem Alpha's existence as it would have no real reason to exist, and has no connection to other gameplay systems. Its just there for the sake of being there, which is bad game design.
    Content added on that map would be every bit as "real" a reason to exist as the content on the other maps.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Which was never implimented. Andoria just has nothing to do period. Its a massive map... with nothing to do.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    An Endeavor to visit the Captain's Table would only be doable by Lifers though. It excludes the majority of the game population.

Honestly we need a reason to visit Andoria besides the Aniversary Event Omega Stabilization. Vulcan is tied to some missions, but Andoria has nothing.
    Andoria just needs to be removed period. Its old, looks awful, and no one cares about PVP, which is what the map was supposed to be used for, melee focused PVP, while the Klingons were supposed to get Rura Penthe for the same purpose.

The ideal is to make use of already made game maps to give new life to them and add diversity and meaning to the endevors linked to a persons account.

I think in general its safe to say you think all maps need removal if they don't equal your standards such as your stated andoria removal need in your view.

But it hurts no one having options and places to use. In the end i see more places and more to do being a good thing as i will guess a few others do. Otherwise to take that view to its logical end you get no maps and a chat room with a q for tfo's. As in the end all maps are dressing that once they lost there use do to change should be trashed by that view.

In any case thank you for your reply to this ideal in the end i am sure the ideal is worthless as well. I do to not ever seeing it happen in reality so rest sure no harm will happen from it.

Edit: also thank you every one else that responded to this ideal. i will no longer be reading this so this is my last post in regards to this thread. Have fun in game everyone.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    well i think that solves this then /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.