test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proposal for STO: an Exploration Server

Proposal: Star Trek Online - Exploration Server

We’re all used to or have heard of the 3 servers available in STO (Live, Tribble, Redshirt). Though there are some who have no experience outside of the live I’ve always been a fan to testing (and sandboxing) offered by the tribble server. But this proposal is more of an idea for something more radical. A revitalization of the game for those of us who’ve been here since beta and something meaty and fun for those just joining the ranks that I’ve lovingly dubbed “The Exploration Server”

What is The Exploration Server:

When logging into your account via your prefered launcher there would appear a fourth option. The Exploration Server would provide expanded real time entertainment as well as a background simulation to fuel further game play. The core of the Expo server is the map. A massive recreation of the Milky way galaxy with all of the standard STO hot spots but the addition of billions, I know its alot drink your koolaid and strap in.. trust me, BILLIONS of procedurally generated planets, stars, asteroids, nebula and moons. For those of you who’ve gamed in other realms of scifi you know that this task is already feasible (Elite Dangerous). The vast majority of this RNGesus pantheon will be unexplored giving the player an opportunity to scan, map, mine, beam down to new procedurally and maybe bespoke in later iterations, locations to map, mine, gather intel. In known space small cities locations will be visitable via beam down. Trade hubs, mining spots, and mission givers.

How will these areas work?:

A com panel or local trade hub panel will list all commodities available for trade? Need tula berries? Burn your credits and fill your cargo bay to haul them off to Bajor from little known spot. Small rng missions like “Investigate borg activity: Scan the asteroids of (location).” Run intelligence packets from far reaching outposts to your factions core systems for “profit”. All faction specific. This is the key.

The missions generated and how and when they are completed can affect the background simulation. The power structures of the areas will always be in flux thanks to what each faction is currently doing. This gives us a reason to log in everyday for a grind that's less… grindy and more choose your own adventure. The server would include changes to certain minigames as they stand. Mining would require a beam down, using an actual mining laser much like the weapons we equip now and some actual scanning to find a good source. Scanning star systems would be overhauled to not only be more interactive but include some enjoyable if not time sinking mechanics as well. .

The TLDR:

STO is a great game but imo could benefit from systems of other space games to create something even better.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    So... make an entirely new game using STO's assets?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,261 Arc User
    There's also the matter that even if others could do it right, it would mean programming essentially a new game and running a 4th server both which would demand more resources.

Tribble and Redshirt work since they're essentially Holodeck when it comes to the core programming, what's proposed here however has little if anything in common with current STO when it comes to the core programming, being in essence a totally new program using the same assets as STO.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Do you have a spare $10+ million + $x million a year to donate to Cryptic to fund this? Plus more for additional license fees to CBS?

Developer resources don't grow on trees, and that isn't the game many STO players would to pay money to support, so the chances of it happening are approximately zero.

If Cryptic was going to develop a new Trek game of that scale it probably makes more sense to build a STO 2.0 engine with modern graphics first.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Why would it need to be a separate server? If they could pull it off at all, they could just do it in the original game, and just make the free exploration part happen at the edges of our sector blocks.

of, course, the first part is the problem- if they could pull it off. Considering that no one really pulled it off well so far, I see no reason why Cryptic should be the one to do it. Especially if they have clearly alternatives that work well for them, too, like providing story missions and STFs.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    They're not going to split the playerbase or create something akin to STO 2.0 /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.