Violence? What is it good for?

2»

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    lf4m exploration cluster
    Anybody?
    :'(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Dude, it's just a game.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    lf4m exploration cluster
    Anybody?

Speaking of pointless violence...

(Enter this system. Scan it. Now kill these 5 ships.
    Go to another system. A planet! Scan it! Now beam down and kill these 5 enemies.
    You can't kill these 5 enemies, as they've all spawned underneath the map. They, on the other hand, can kill you with impunity. Now the real violence begins. And it's not even that poor mouse's fault.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Absolutely nothing?

https://youtu.be/01-2pNCZiNk
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Real world violence is not without it's uses. Video game violence is simply recreation. There have been studies pointing to both the ability and inability of violent video games to effect the people who play them, so I'm not going to champion one or the other. Like it or not, the world of STO is driven by violent conflict. I'd argue that most of Star Trek was driven by conflict of some sort also. Nonviolent conflict resolution is ideal in the real world and sometimes on screen. Mashing the "f" key in STO does not make for a compelling experience in IMHO. Reference: Of Bajor. I'm fine with nonviolent options being options in missions where it makes sense but artificially inserting a nonviolent option into most missions probably won't work. STO is driven by combat. It's space combat is easily the most enjoyable portion of the game for many folks. Attempting to tie violence in video games to mass shootings is probably a reach at best. Most of us probably aren't qualified to connect those dots properly.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Peace through superior firepower!

You can never have enough dakka
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
      What is violence good for? Violence is the gold standard of the universe. The supreme authority, from which all other authorities are derived. It's good for innovations, and keeping the monster of complacency at bay. :)
    • noemiecarnesirnoemiecarnesir Member Posts: 42 Arc User
      edited June 2019
      One of my prefered mission is Echoes of Light. It's a pure exploration, puzzle game mission.
      Only at the end there is some pew pew.

I am not a great consumer of solo content, so if they make queued less pew pew and more exploration/puzzle I would enjoy that .

Exemple:
      The team need to repear a suliban station, and for that they need to gather then assemble piece in the good order and shape by using tractor ray.
      For example a face with a shape and a color would only fit with the same.
      Teamate would need to cooperate for done the queued in time and have the maximal reward.
    • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
      There are non-violent MMO games available - such as Myst Online:

https://mystonline.com/en/

Like STO it is completely free.
    • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
      hmm, Hubbard or heinlein - who has done more damage? heinlein.
      Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

azrael605 wrote: »
      "Violence, naked force, has solved more issues in history than any other factor" - Robert Heinlein
      Context: That was in reaction to someone popping out that rather silly, trite phrase, "Violence never solved anything." The entire paragraph is worth quoting, IMO - sadly, my last copy of Starship Troopers went missing after my roommate's tent was shelled in Iraq. (He was COQ that day, so thankfully he was nowhere near it at the time.)

Heinlein did believe in the worth of peaceful negotiation, as shown both elsewhere in that novel and in some of his other works; he just believed it had to be backed up with the willingness to engage in force if necessary. (Even in ST, the Mobile Infantry weren't warmongers; that particular character flaw was found in Basic Training and its carrier dismissed from service with prejudice. They employed the degree of force called for by the operational plan, at the time and in the place directed by the Sky Marshal.)
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »
      There was one mission in Star Trek Legacy where Picard first took command of the Stargazer, and had to lead a Starfleet taskforce in dealing with asteroids created by T'urell that were threatening inhabited worlds. Maybe for a story mission something like it can work in STO, but not for a STF.

Night of the Comet kind of did that already, though sadly without an appearance by Catherine Mary Stewart or her long since forgotten male co-star.

is there a knowing wink there?
      u7acy6aymfw7.gif
      We Need BERETS in the tailor
    • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
      edited June 2019
      rattler2 wrote: »
      There was one mission in Star Trek Legacy where Picard first took command of the Stargazer, and had to lead a Starfleet taskforce in dealing with asteroids created by T'urell that were threatening inhabited worlds. Maybe for a story mission something like it can work in STO, but not for a STF.
      Night of the Comet kind of did that already, though sadly without an appearance by Catherine Mary Stewart or her long since forgotten male co-star.
      nixie50 wrote: »
      is there a knowing wink there?

Of course ;) . That was a fun movie, and I purposefully did not list her co-star to get people to look it up.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
      azrael605 wrote: »
      > @davefenestrator said:
      > rattler2 wrote: »
      >
      > There was one mission in Star Trek Legacy where Picard first took command of the Stargazer, and had to lead a Starfleet taskforce in dealing with asteroids created by T'urell that were threatening inhabited worlds. Maybe for a story mission something like it can work in STO, but not for a STF.
      >
      >
      >
      > davefenestrator wrote: »
      >
      > Night of the Comet kind of did that already, though sadly without an appearance by Catherine Mary Stewart or her long since forgotten male co-star.
      >
      >
      >
      > nixie50 wrote: »
      >
      > is there a knowing wink there?
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > Of course ;) . That was a fun movie, and I purposefully did not list her co-star to get people to look it up.

I only really know her [ Catherine Mary Stewart] from The Last Starfighter.

She's the star of this one instead of a supporting cast love interest. There's some clever dialog and decent B-movie drama, plus Chakotay! (Yay?)

Yeah, Verhoeven never read the book. In fact, he'd originally written a script called Bug Hunt, which was more or less the movie he wound up making. They were pretty far along through preproduction when one of his staffers, who had at least skimmed it, noticed some similarities between the two and brought that up. Not knowing Heinlein's attitude toward Hollywood and toward ideas in general, Verhoeven, fearing lawsuits, purchased the film rights, then integrated names from the novel into his completely different movie.

(There are reports that Disney had also gotten the rights to The Star Beast, but that Virginia Heinlein, horrified at what Verhoeven had done, pulled all film rights to her late husband's work. I cannot verify the claim at this point, but it seems like something that either Virginia or his agent might have done in reaction.)
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      edited June 2019
      MMO gameplay doesn't really lend itself to diplomacy and exploration, that would really only work in a Civilization style game imho.
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
      MMO gameplay doesn't really lend itself to diplomacy and exploration, that would really only work in a Civilization style game imho.

Until Gandhi goes nuke crazy :D
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
        edited June 2019

71e.jpg

Seriously though, a Civ style Trek game would be a lot of fun imho.
        Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
        eaY7Xxu.png

71e.jpg

That it would
        NMXb2ph.png
        • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
          edited June 2019

71e.jpg

That it would

well while it's not star trek but the Ethics set ups in stellaris can make a pretty close version of pretty much anything you would want. at least at the start by the end game it's be rather different.

in fact if anyone from cbs is watching I will buy a paradox 4x star trek game and any and all dlc for it til the end of time.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
        • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
          nightken wrote: »
          in fact if anyone from cbs is watching I will buy a paradox 4x star trek game and any and all dlc for it til the end of time.

Until then, I believe Stellaris has a rather big Trek mod. Same with Sins of a Solar Empire.

bahahahahaaa__rainbow_dash_laugh_by_misteralex-d515muw.gif
          OMG! Nuclear Ghandi! The best bug that became a feature in later installments!
          db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
          I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
          The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
        • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
          "Violence isn't the answer. It's the question. And the answer is always YES!" :D>:):p
        • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
          jonsills wrote: »
          lf4m exploration cluster
          Anybody?

Speaking of pointless violence...

(Enter this system. Scan it. Now kill these 5 ships.
          Go to another system. A planet! Scan it! Now beam down and kill these 5 enemies.
          You can't kill these 5 enemies, as they've all spawned underneath the map. They, on the other hand, can kill you with impunity. Now the real violence begins. And it's not even that poor mouse's fault.)

The things you do to retrieve artifacts from the Third Borg Dynasty.
          XzRTofz.gif
        This discussion has been closed.