test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Expose/Exploit Mechanic - How does it work?

bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
This latest update adds a lot of expose/exploit stuff to the game. I think this is one of the most confusing mechanics in STO. I have heard that an enemy can only be exposed with an expose attack - if that is true, then how would the new trait that exposes the highest ranking enemy work?
What about the doff that gives a 40% chance to expose on using fire on my mark? Doesn't this automatically expose the enemy without the need for an expose attack?

Also, how do you know when an enemy is exposed? What is the indicator? Does anyone actually try to use this mechanic rather than just mash the fire button - seems like way more trouble than it is worth to switch from an expose weapon to an exploit weapon in the middle of an attack, and most enemies wouldn't last long enough to hit them with two different weapons anyway.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    you could expose an enemy with any ability/weapon that could do that.
    if an enemey is exposed you could see that via the visual, an orange circle at the enemy. exposes could be applied from teammembers too.

you could get just one expose at an enemy at the same time as far as i know and it will be consumed from the first exploit ability (weapon or ability) that will hit the enemy. it doesnt matter which person of the team will use the expose, it could be just used once.
    the exploit ability will do increased damage based on the +% exploit damage (tooltip from some weapons).

a 40% chance to get the enemy exposed is just that, a 40% chance to get the effect on the enemy. if it trigger, than the enemy is exposed till the expose get consumed. if it doesnt trigger, yea than no expose from that ability;)

does that answer your questions?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Expose means an enemy is more vulnerable to an Exploit attack. Some weapons secondary attacks, like the Sniper Rifle's Sniper Shot, is an Exploit attack. Using an Exploit on an Exposed enemy should cause more damage.

Think of it a bit like having a type advantage in Pokemon. Yea you still have crits, but certain attacks are more effective against certain types on top of that.

So for example you can crit on a fire type with a water attack, not only would it have the crit damage, but the extra type advantage as well. Similar thing, only we don't have to match up damage types to enemies.

So... Lets put it into practice using a Romulan Centurion.

Romulan Centurion gets Exposed by a shot from your Kelvin Timeline Phaser Rifle.
    Player uses Sniper Shot.
    Romulan Centurion's Expose status triggered by Player's Exploit, causing extra damage.

Some weapons have only expose attacks, like a wide beam pistol. Others, like the Sniper Rifle, have an Exploit attack.
    Mixing Expose and Exploit weapons in your away team would be a good way to try and maximize Expose chance. And typically its always the secondary attack.

Now... here's an interesting thing. At least 3 weapons that I know of actually play off the Expose status even more than normal.
    • Dyson Rep Proton Rifle
    • Delta Rep Compression Rifle
    • Terran Rep Rifle

While I don't remember the specifics on the Terran Rep rifle, The Dyson and Delta rifles actually change their secondary mode based on if the target is exposed or not. The Dyson's standard secondary is basically a wide beam shot. But when the target is exposed, it transforms into an Exploit Sniper Shot. Likewise the Delta Rifle's Wide Beam transforms into a mini Orbital Strike when the target is exposed.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    Another thing relating to exposes...by default the key is "G" to select the nearest exposed enemy, so you can automatically target somebody who is exposed.

The thing it took me embarrassingly long to figure out is that the border/icon on an exploit power will be flashing if your current target is exposed. Most kit modules that can generate an expose will say so in the description, as will any weapon attacks that cause that status (in yellow text).

Secondary attacks are usually either an expose OR exploit, and there are 2 weapons that have both that I know of (delphic repulsor weapon and S31 pistol, both lobi)
This discussion has been closed.