test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you Have enjoyed Anson Mount as Pike in Discovery

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User

Comments

• risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Anson Mount was great, and Pike is now the most handsome main character in all of Trek if you ask me.

But getting him an own series is something I could only appreciate if they come up with a better ending for the character. I've read some interviews that they have tried to make his fate less tragic -
    which perhaps worked, now that we know that his sacrifice was even greater: he wasn't just saving some cadets, but all life basically

Still, regardless of whether that worked or not; a captain who is going to be the hero of an entire series should get a better story than 'oh yes he did great things and then he languished in pain in a wheelchair before living his last moments on what is basically a Talosian holodeck'.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
    That has been my only annoyance with seeing Pike in Discovery: the fact that we already know that, regardless of how well life may be for him in the years he still has left, it will nevertheless end tragically for him.

It would be nice if we could get a story that's a bit happier. It is hard to enjoy the nice moments you see such a likable character in if the knowledge of his horrible ending is continuously there while watching.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    That has been my only annoyance with seeing Pike in Discovery: the fact that we already know that, regardless of how well life may be for him in the years he still has left, it will nevertheless end tragically for him.

IMO that was actually a smart decision.

Pike as seen in 'The Cage' and 'The Menagerie' was ultimately a fairly uninteresting and boring character, basically doing his job and tiring of the huge responsibility that comes with it and which eventually even crippled him. Poor lad, yes, but you would not really feel for him, as he never truly connected with the audience (had no chance to do so either).
    To audiences and fans though, Pike was still a captain of the Enterprise. It's a nice touch that they added him in and actually cared to give him a personality this time around.

To me, that means that the writers are aware they're making a prequel this time (unlike what they did with ENT) and thus take the opportunity to flesh out some things here and there. They actually make use of the chance to make some of the previous canon more interesting that way.

He does not need his own show though.

IMO that was actually a smart decision.

Pike as seen in 'The Cage' and 'The Menagerie' was ultimately a fairly uninteresting and boring character, basically doing his job and tiring of the huge responsibility that comes with it and which eventually even crippled him. Poor lad, yes, but you would not really feel for him, as he never truly connected with the audience (had no chance to do so either).
    To audiences and fans though, Pike was still a captain of the Enterprise. It's a nice touch that they added him in and actually cared to give him a personality this time around.

To me, that means that the writers are aware they're making a prequel this time (unlike what they did with ENT) and thus take the opportunity to flesh out some things here and there. They actually make use of the chance to make some of the previous canon more interesting that way.

Looking at it like that, yes I agree that it was nice that Pike was transformed from an item that could be carelessly thrown away if the story required it (basically, a plot-device) to a real character.

Still, because he's so much more now, I'd say it would be pretty sad to see even more of him in his own series when we already know that the end result for him, the perhaps by then even more likable character, is the same.

• redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Looking at it like that, yes I agree that it was nice that Pike was transformed from an item that could be carelessly thrown away if the story required it (basically, a plot-device) to a real character.

Still, because he's so much more now, I'd say it would be pretty sad to see even more of him in his own series when we already know that the end result for him, the perhaps by then even more likable character, is the same.

That matches my view. Pike had the spotlight now, and as we know his fate he will always be remembered. Less is more in some cases. Anson Mount did a great Job here, but by that logic we'd need an extra-spin-off-series for every captain that did something great.

We'd need at least...

'John Harriman', 'Walker Keel', 'Rachel Garrett' and perhaps even 'Early Jean-Luc Picard / Stargazer', and well… that'd be ridiculous, DESPITE each of them would have a cool moment here and there.

Moments of other captains would be something they actually SHOULD cover if they plan to continue 'Short Treks' and re-work the Format in something that spans Star Trek as a whole and not just DIS.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    My problem with Pike's ending is Airiam. 23rd Century technology could put a young woman's brain into a cyborg while 10 years later Pike is stuck in a chair while completely paralyzed and can only answer yes or no.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starkaos wrote: »
    My problem with Pike's ending is Airiam. 23rd Century technology could put a young woman's brain into a cyborg while 10 years later Pike is stuck in a chair while completely paralyzed and can only answer yes or no.

Could it be just about possible that their injuries are not the same?

How are people stuck on this? Different problems require different solutions.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »

Could it be just about possible that their injuries are not the same?

How are people stuck on this? Different problems require different solutions.​​

You are right, their injuries are not the same. Pike still had a body even if it wasn't functional while Airiam just had a brain. Transferring a person's brain to a cyborg is the last resort for having a reasonable life and Pike is at his last resort. So the only reason why Pike wouldn't accept having his brain transferred into a cyborg is either personal reasons or the Federation becomes severely anti-cybernetic in the next few years.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Not to mention Airiam had to purge her onboard memory, remember? The only kind of long-term memories she had were the ones she expressly chose to archive into the Discovery's computer or the very select few she kept in the cybernetic portion of her brain. Her brain was clearly not in tip-top condition, while Pike's was seemingly still sharp. Why would Pike opt for a procedure which is going to destroy his memory if he doesn't have to? In Airiam's case, it appears she had absolutely no other choice for survival.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Singing it will just have CBS say "its nice out fans like him, but no."

We will certainly see, won't we?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I'm going to go ahead and call it now: a Pike show is going to happen. There is a ton of fan support, the actor is willing and commenting on the petition, and CBS sees both of these things. Yep, it's happening.

It's fine if you want to say I'm wrong or it's too early to know. It doesn't bother me, because I'll be enjoying the show soon enough (or however long it takes to make).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    I'm going to go ahead and call it now: a Pike show is going to happen. There is a ton of fan support, the actor is willing and commenting on the petition, and CBS sees both of these things. Yep, it's happening.

It's fine if you want to say I'm wrong or it's too early to know. It doesn't bother me, because I'll be enjoying the show soon enough (or however long it takes to make).

Oh I would love a Captain Pike show. The actor is brilliant and I wouldn't mind seeing Spock as he grows into what people experienced in TOS. Anson Mount has quickly jumped to my 2nd favourite captain (Archer being first, Sisko third) for acting capability.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    Unfortunately, even if you did enjoy pike Anson Mount quit working with CBS around the time they announced Season 3 of discovery along with I think the first officer of the enterprise as they were apparently having many arguments with the director. If there is a pike series it would likely have a new actor.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    Seems the argument was so heated it actually got physical. There's a few more sites that reported on it, honestly I'm a bit surprised no one on the forums seemed to know about this.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Yeah that sounds like tabloid journalism to me or at the very least that's grade-A clickbait. Taking what could be an accident and blowing it out of proportion.
    The incident reportedly stemmed from a discussion of a scene, and Mount gesticulating and pointing, which was the action of the scene in question. In acting out that scene before the cameras were turned on, the actor’s hands made physical contact with the director.

Quickly after the incident occurred, it was reported by the production to CBS HR, which reviewed the matter. The department spoke to all parties involved, including Mount and the director, to determine what happened. Based on those discussions and the inquiry, the incident did not result in any disciplinary action against the actor.

Even before HR got involved, Mount apologized to the director and work on the episode continued. The incident is said to have zero to do with Mount leaving Discovery; one source close to the production told Deadline that “we would love to find a way to work with Anson again.”
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > Singing it will just have CBS say "its nice out fans like him, but no."

Cavalry riding to the rescue?

Third Season of TOS.
    Second Season of Timeless.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2019
    Yeah that sounds like tabloid journalism to me or at the very least that's grade-A clickbait. Taking what could be an accident and blowing it out of proportion.
    The incident reportedly stemmed from a discussion of a scene, and Mount gesticulating and pointing, which was the action of the scene in question. In acting out that scene before the cameras were turned on, the actor’s hands made physical contact with the director.

Quickly after the incident occurred, it was reported by the production to CBS HR, which reviewed the matter. The department spoke to all parties involved, including Mount and the director, to determine what happened. Based on those discussions and the inquiry, the incident did not result in any disciplinary action against the actor.

Even before HR got involved, Mount apologized to the director and work on the episode continued. The incident is said to have zero to do with Mount leaving Discovery; one source close to the production told Deadline that “we would love to find a way to work with Anson again.”

Regardless of if they or other sites blow the incident out of proportion, Anson Mount has left discovery which is a fact. It is extremely unlikely he would come back for another star trek show though I wouldn't say its 100% impossible.
    valoreah wrote: »
    westx211 wrote: »

I don't think the article says what you think it says...
    One of the biggest cast additions for the current second season of Discovery was Anson Mount, who came on board as Captain Christopher Pike of the USS Enterprise. He was joined by Rebecca Romijn, who was tapped to play another classic Star Trek character, Number One, a member of Pike’s crew.

Both are set to leave at the end of the season, we have learned.

According to sources close to the series, both Hell On Wheels alum Mount and Romijn had strictly one-year deals; the duo had been contracted only for Season 2 arcs as part of a plan to sync up Discovery with the original Star Trek lore by the end of the new series’ second season heading into Season 3.

There's a difference between the production wanting him back, and him wanting to come back. He finished his contract and left, he can't be forced to come back if he doesn't want to.