test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gamma Recruit

locutuspicard359locutuspicard359 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
Will cryptic do a rerun of the gamma recruit anytime soon?

i did create a jhemadar toon did all the intro and all tath and stop before i joined a faction right when we had this gamma recruit thing going on then i am learning the hard way when i came back to play this toon tath we had to choose a faction to get the reward...

i asked to get the recruit thing in a ticket and they answered me they cant to wait for a rerun and its been since august... so i guess i learned the hard way to read the little text more carfully next time cryptic offer us a reward... my bad....

but now i really would like to see a rerun of the gamma recruit...

any of you got any idea when it could happen if you make the math with the last 2 recruit delta and temporal?

i would really like to see it happen .... :D
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    well they did a rerun of the delta recruit back in the past i know for sure ... i was just hoping to see it with gamma since cryptic told me inside a ticket to wait for a rerun of the thing...

why would they told me tath if it wasnt true?
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    well they did a rerun of the delta recruit back in the past i know for sure ... i was just hoping to see it with gamma since cryptic told me inside a ticket to wait for a rerun of the thing...

why would they told me tath if it wasnt true?

It is true.

But there is nothing scheduled, nothing announced. They are saying you have to wait, but no one knows if it will be months, years or decades.

• Options
    i am so sad to read this... i was really hype to see tath coming... now i am so sad...
  • Options
    wath does cryptic loose by not doing a re-run? i mean it give us a goal in game... why would they not do it if it make the players happy? i know a lot of friend in game who would like to have this opportunity again...
  • Options
    wath can i do to make it happen? having a lot of friends to sign a request for it? how can we let the producer of the game know tath some of us would like to see it happen?
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    wath can i do to make it happen? having a lot of friends to sign a request for it? how can we let the producer of the game know tath some of us would like to see it happen?

Petitions are not allowed in the forums, so don't do that here.

Cryptic has many events planned for 2019. We have no idea when there might be a place in their calendar where they could add a recruitment event. Even if there are places where it might fit, they could re-run the Temporal event instead.

So far, they have only re-run the 2015 Delta Recruitment once, in 2018. The 2016 Temporal Agent has not been re-run yet.

Maybe they will re-run Temporal some time this year, then Gamma next year or in 2021.

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,321 Community Moderator

There is nothing one can do to "make it happen." Cryptic is well aware that the recruitment events are popular. Delta Recruits was re-run not too long ago, so it is reasonable to assume that it, along with the others, will re-run again. When, though, will be determined by Cryptic, using internal data, and to, as the name says, recruit new players, not because it was requested by players who are already playing the game. The only advice I can give is be patient. Eventually it should come around again.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    They are not required to do something simply because you invoke some "What do they have to lose?" nonsense.

It's none of your business why they do or do not make things happen.
    You are owed zero explanation, they need not defend it to you.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Temporal Recruit was the best.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    As previous posters have said no one knows when we will get another recruitment event. Personally, I am hoping for a new event instead of a rerun, but I won't begrudge others a rerun. I just hope on the next recruitment event rerun they add some stuff for people who already ran the event the first time. That being said based off of the limited data-set of the one and only recruitment event rerun we have had I would say we could be due a rerun of the temporal event around July time frame.

Delta event:
    Original: 4/2015
    Rerun: 4/2018
    = 3yrs

So based purely on conjecture the earliest I would expect to see a rerun of other events is three years after the previous one.

Temporal event:
    Original: 7/2016
    A pure guess on a rerun: 7/2019

Gamma event:
    Original: 6/2018
    A pure guess on a rerun: 6/2021
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Temporal Recruit was the best.

Except for the Master Mind puzzle - the puzzle itself was okay, but the interface just wasn't made for this. (Oh, and the z-axis=0 one in Operation Gamma, took me literally hours to find)

Apart from that, I wouldn't mind both a new recruitment event and a rerun, but wouldn't be too excited about a rerun plus with one or two new gadgets. The problem with the latter is probably that it is more work than just "press the button to activate it" due to relaunched missions and some parts taken out of normal arc progression.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The TR puzzles were indeed very nice. Not hard by any stretch of the word, but definitely a lot more thought-provoking than the average STO content.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    While it might or might not make any difference at all to the folks at Cryptic who decide these things, the huge gripe fest that ensued when the they reran the Delta event just might have put them off of trying it again with Temporal or Gamma. It was absolutely amazing at the number of complaints from players who were here for the original Delta event, griping up a storm because they didn't get anything new/special when the event was run the second time.

I was happy to see it some back as I had mistakenly deleted my Rom Delta toon having never completed all the tasks. They brought it back, I created a new Rom Delta toon and thanked my lucky starts that they were actually nice enough to bring it back.

Although I have not made that mistake again, so I still have all my Temporal and Gamma toons, I would love to see them bring them both back. Whether new players, or old players that missed the event (or accidentally deleted the wrong toon) really should get the chance to play catch up, and those of us that don't need to play catch up don't deserve, or need, anything special if/when they do bring them back.

To avoid one of the huge gripes, if/when they bring them back, maybe add right into the event announcement that no, they are not going to add any more free character slots as every account that exists has already been given those free slots. I remember when I first started, just before DR, only having (I believe) 3 free character slots. Starting with DR, and with every recruitment event since then, they have added more free slots so that now a brand new players gets 6 or more.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    arionisa wrote: »
    While it might or might not make any difference at all to the folks at Cryptic who decide these things, the huge gripe fest that ensued when the they reran the Delta event just might have put them off of trying it again with Temporal or Gamma. It was absolutely amazing at the number of complaints from players who were here for the original Delta event, griping up a storm because they didn't get anything new/special when the event was run the second time.
    They were not the target audience, so their complaints should mean absolutely nothing.

People complain about everything. If that were a reason not to do something, we wouldn't have a game at all.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Agreed. It's nice to bring the Recruitment Events back for new players and those who want one in more than one faction. I've done the DR on Fed, then the rerun I made a Kling. On my FTP acct I have started with a RomDelta.

So rerun them all you want, devs, and ignore the naysayers.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I wish they would bring back the Temporal recruitment since I missed it by a very narrow margin and it looked like it had some good stuff in it (plus it was TOS based which is a major draw for me). Delta is good too, I have set of those and while the mission adds do not seem like much on the surface it really does add just enough keeping an eye out for them when going through all those old missions to make them interesting again.

I cannot really say the same about Gamma.

The problem is that there really is not a functional Dominion faction, only the one-dimensional Jem'Hadar race who start at endgame and really do not develop in any significant way. That means that almost all of the Transponder goals have nothing to do with the main game but rather all the boring sideline dren like Admiralty, the glacially slow to advance Doff/Commendation stuff and the like. There are only a few missions that have anything to do with the transponder, and it takes forever to get enough specialization points to progress very far on that track unless the Gamma is your main or at least a very often used toon (mine I only use for space farming and R&D any more, I just cannot connect to a J'H character at all and the game is a drag without that connection, though the bug ship is nice for TFOs).

With the rushed and unfinished feel the whole Dominion/ViL thing had, despite a few memorable scenarios (the prevalent theory was that they had to clear the decks for AoD), there is the faint hope that they might go back and finish the Dominion faction which would be a good time to run a modified Gamma Recruit event with actual start-at-the-beginning characters and more in-game stuff to do in the transponder. I just do not think it is at all likely.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    With the rushed and unfinished feel the whole Dominion/ViL thing had, despite a few memorable scenarios (the prevalent theory was that they had to clear the decks for AoD),
    Cryptic has repeatedly stated that AoD did nothing to alter ViL. The only thing AoD changed was the post-ViL story, that was originally going to involve the return of Mirror Leeta in some sort of story arc that would close her tale out.

Yes, that is what they have said, but the rushed and incomplete feeling is still very prevalent which casts some doubts. Besides, whether that is the reason or just very poor planning, it still could use a lot of improvement if they do not want it to give the impression that AoD caused them to rush ViL, and it is that impression that spawned the theory that it did.
    with actual start-at-the-beginning characters
    The earliest Dominion characters could start is the end of the Iconian War because, prior to that point, the Dominion had largely cut off contact with the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. Sela going into the GQ to get the Dominion was a fairly major plot point.

Yes, they would probably have to start at the end of the Iconinan war (since I doubt they would want to do a full Romulan style mini-campaign in Gamma quadrant to move the beginning to an earlier point), but that does not in itself require all Dominion characters to start at endgame levels. That only makes sense for bioconstructs like the Jem'Hadar who are programmed with skills instead of having to learn from experience.

Nor does it mean Dominion characters cannot play earlier scenarios using the same "simulation" schtick the game uses to allow modern characters to play DSC content. In fact, the Jem'Hadar already use a similar justification to play earlier-in-the-timeline content already.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes, they would probably have to start at the end of the Iconinan war (since I doubt they would want to do a full Romulan style mini-campaign in Gamma quadrant to move the beginning to an earlier point), but that does not in itself require all Dominion characters to start at endgame levels. That only makes sense for bioconstructs like the Jem'Hadar who are programmed with skills instead of having to learn from experience.

Nor does it mean Dominion characters cannot play earlier scenarios using the same "simulation" schtick the game uses to allow modern characters to play DSC content. In fact, the Jem'Hadar already use a similar justification to play earlier-in-the-timeline content already.
    There wouldn't be "Dominion" characters outside of the Jem'Hadar. The Dominion is not like the Federation, they don't treat races equally, or give them equal opportunity. The Dominion has specific roles for everyone, and everyone stays in their roles.

Dosi, Wadi, Karemma, Yaderans, etc. don't get to be in leadership roles, that is for the Changelings. They don't get to be diplomats, the Dominion has the Vorta for that. And they don't get to be ship captains in the Dominion's military, going on space and ground combat operations, since the Jem'Hadar were made for that purpose.

You would never see a "Dominion" character, that isn't a Jem'Hadar, doing the kinds of things we do in-game, because that simply isn't how The Dominion operates. The most other Dominion races would be are merchants, and part scavengers, and things of that nature.

That is irrelevant since Jem'Hadar are the absolute bottom of the barrel, lower when it comes to independent action than the Dosi, Wadi, Karemma, Yaderans, etc.

In the context of DS9 they are nothing but expendable grunts ALWAYS under the command of others (usually a Vorta). In fact, realistically sticking to established canon there is no way anything but a Vorta could be a Dominion military captain, and therefor an STO player-character. But for some reason they chose the Jem'Hadar instead and came up with the schtick about Odo applying Federation style classless rules in his faction, and that same schtick makes all the other races potentially viable as PCs as well (especially the Vorta/Kurilli).

If you take a step back and look at the Dominion from a scripting/plotting point of view Dominion society and modus operandi are completely based on deception. Nothing, especially the Vorta, are what they seem or claim to be. Vorta are the real aggressive action and enforcement arm of the Dominion, the Jem'Hadar are just their meat shields and totally expendable shock troops to bludgeon and distract the enemy while the Vorta do the real work from the shadows. In fact, Jeffery Combs, who pretty much defined the Vorta in DS9, called them "very gentile and pleasant cobras" in reference to their actual role in the Dominion.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    An interesting loose plot thread that STO could pick up and run with if they decided to flesh out the Dominion campaign is the Modain who were being considered to replace the Vorta/Jem'Hadar military system with a single unit type which could perform both roles (Behr decided to drop that thread as Weyoun became so popular). Someone in the Dominion (or possibly manipulating from the outside, though that has probably been overused in STO already) could have reactivated the Modain program in a bid to seize control in the tail of the Hurq war chaos, providing a mass-produced enemy for the alliance to put down.

It would definitely give new Gamma recruits something to do besides admiralty and the other sideline dreck and little else that the current, very limited Dominion setup sticks them with.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    The only content specific to the Dominion origin is the tutorial, so not much is lost if you just make an alien for an origin that allows it and pretend it's from the Dominion. Imagination FTW.

These days you can even start the Gamma story arc first if you want.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The only content specific to the Dominion origin is the tutorial, so not much is lost if you just make an alien for an origin that allows it and pretend it's from the Dominion. Imagination FTW.

Is Gamma directly accesible? Because if you skip to it, you'd have to do some (minor) missions of the "meet Admiral Nevertobeseenagain on Starbase 666" first. But yeah, no actual gameplay needed.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    xyquarze wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »

Is Gamma directly accesible? Because if you skip to it, you'd have to do some (minor) missions of the "meet Admiral Nevertobeseenagain on Starbase 666" first. But yeah, no actual gameplay needed.
    Not anymore. From the latest patch notes 10/11/19:
    • If you have at least one level 65 character, all of your other characters should now be able to start any mission group they want - you can start the first mission in any section of the journal.
    • This applies to 23c, Century Fed captains after they reach the 25th c. and to Jem'Hadar and Romulan captains after they choose an allegiance.
    • 25 c. Federation and Klingon captains gain this update immediately after the tutorial.

You should be able to make a Feddy/Klink, skip the tutorial and start Gamma right away. I haven't tried if it actually works, though.

EDIT: And I just noticed that patch note has a hilariously wrong date on it.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    General fairly poor proofreading of News Blogs.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.