test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any updates on the Combat Tardigrade?

psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
I was wondering if there was any update on when we would be receiving the Combat Tardigrade from the Discovery Operations Pack? We were told we would be getting this a later time.

Can we please get an update on this ...

Thanks!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I claimed mine from the c-store... what do you mean?
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    I think the OP is referring to the account unlock of the tardigrade instead of only character unlock. If so, I am also interested in the answer to that question. I did not purchase that bundle because it did not include the account unlock of the tardigrade. With less ships there was no way I was paying that much for that pack even with the appeasing discount on release. Either way I'm not going to purchase until it gets a 30% off again, but won't do it at all until they label it as account unlocked.

Since it has been nearly two months since the uproar of the lack of account unlock options and the change to the BOffs and comment that they planned to make the tardigrade account unlock eventually I am betting they "forgot" and are hoping we did too.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    The single character unlock was actually a saleable box that could be used or sold by any character, not just the character that made the purchase; I made a lot of ECs selling that box, and it was easy to claim from the C store.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    All c-store combat pets are single character only. From various comments on Ten Forward weekly I don't think there are any plans to change the unlock scheme RE. the bundle. Uproars =/= orders, devs can opt to do something else even if folks feel like they're owed a change.
    detheater wrote: »
    And comment that they planned to make the tardigrade account unlock eventually I am betting they "forgot" and are hoping we did too.

Could you source that? Last time I heard it on the stream (more than a month ago), Kael basically acknowledged feedback and indicated (tactfully) that there weren't any plans to change the unlock (I think at some point he said that they'd look into it but most recently the answer to that discussion seems to have been "no.")

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an account unlocked combat Tardigrade but the ship seems to have sailed.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Mr. Nobody here. This Combat Tardigrade can easily be made an Account Unlock. I have the Horta Combat Pet as an Account Unlock. That is the same Combat Pet you can buy in the C-Store as a Single Character Unlock.

They stated that they were looking into making the Combat Tardigrade that came with the Discovery Operations Pack as an Account Unlock but it wouldn't make it for release. So the query as to status was valid and not worthy of derision.

I would venture to guess that this sh*t-storm did indeed mean something, acheived something, and did affect something. The Bridge Officers were made 'Account' Unlocks, and a credit was given if the Starter Pack had already been purchased.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Sorry, no. I'm not talking on release, but on first announcement. The bug occurred because the programming had not been changed in keeping with the announced change.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    Mr. Nobody here. This Combat Tardigrade can easily be made an Account Unlock. I have the Horta Combat Pet as an Account Unlock. That is the same Combat Pet you can buy in the C-Store as a Single Character Unlock.

That's from a long-gone giveaway. When you're trying to make an argument to a company it's a good starting place to look at their valuations. Don't juts assume that technically feasible + demand = patch note.

Starting off, there is no generally accessible account unlocked combat pet. Each I could name was either tied to a limited time event. The bulk of combat pets in STO are single unlocks. Cryptic currently values this (in the c-store) at 400 zen. Considering how long this has been the case and fact that the combat tardigrade was added to it, its reasonable to assume this is a stable economic price point.

Now, add account unlocks to those pets. You might assume (per demand) that this would just be a patch note (ie. a nice freebie with no strings attached) but put this in the context of Cryptic's business. More utility, greater value, greater price. Chances are an account unlocked combat tardigrade would be sold for more because of its greater utility and range of unlocks (a la Cardassian species option.) Its a premium which players have expressed interest (ie. projected value) in. That would be in Cryptic's direct interests, in line with reasonably stated economic principles, and in line with recent precedent (re. Cardassian's getting a cost bump up when more was included with their unlock. Ie. KDF and FED.) Also see the "added value" cost increase of T6 versus T5. That's not to say the freebie wouldn't be nice but this is what the "make it account unlocked" argument is up against (and must overcome to make the most compelling argument possible. Ie. have the best chance at effecting change. Ie. actually do something.)

So put this in the context of a bundle which folks have already been complaining costs too much. And note that cost increase is also important to not (visibly) stiff every single player who's bought multiple c-store combat pets under the old scheme. The price increase also moderates the backlash of "why the hell didn't you do this sooner, I bought five!" by negating some of the wasted Zen (while validating the position that the added service and added value generally adds onto the price per "business is business.") Ie. it productively moderates player perception of value (important for a game's economic health) on top of giving Cryptic more money. But, the question is that if you raise the price from 400 zen are you going to be entering a new stable economic price point? How far do you need to go to address all factors and is that something that'll ultimately work per marketing? 800 zen (for ex.), there may not be enough interest to make up from the narrowed market (per the price increase) and having both single and account unlocked options may not make for the friendliest storefront (versus impulse buying at 400 alone.) Secondly, does cryptic (per design) want to make account-unlocked combat pets generally accessible or do they want to preserve the current scheme as a major incentivization tool for future episodes, events, and giveaways.

There's a lot of consumer psychology to dig in here and the point is that if you haven't considered this in full (when talking to a business who definitely does evaluate these kinds of decisions per consumer psychology) then you're liable to run into a wall which rhetoric simply won't circumvent. Now of course you can continue demanding that the change be made (per technical precedent) but you're making that argument to a company which can fall back on a range of arguments pointed in the direction of "no." One can dismiss those out of hand (per an -immediate- sense for supporting an argument by pretending other folks have no valid position in debate, ie. what always torpedoes your own ethos if attempted) but that's not going to result in a convincing argument to those who ultimately make the decision, ie. the Cryptic higher ups. They can fall back on sales data since the bundle to test any claim made here about what is or isn't in the popular interest (and its wise to assume they've already done so to avoid setting yourself up for an already refuted argument.)

Some people might be unhappy, but if Cryptic's satisfied with the numbers (ie. direct data on population behavior, ie. community interest) then that's more or less the end of it.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    I'm making it because they said so.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2019
    I'm making it because they said so.

"Looking into it" does not mean that a change is going to be made. See verb: looking, ie. examination. Last I heard the subject come up on Ten Forward, there aren't any plans to change the combat tardigrade unlock status (already mentioned in this thread.) The result of the re-examination seems to have been "well we know some folks aren't happy but factors are going to keep this scheme in place for the foreseeable future."

See. any or all of the above.
    Not saying the ones they sell in the C-Store should be an Account Unlock but the one that came with the Discovery Operations Pack. It doesn't even have to be an Unlock per se but claimable once by all Characters or future Characters on the Account. They have the capability to do that, e.g., Jem'Hadar or TOS Environmental Suits.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2019
    Not saying the ones they sell in the C-Store should be an Account Unlock but the one that came with the Discovery Operations Pack.

Simple question: why? Bundles have also included once per account consumable items. This would seem to fit that precedent. Furthermore, per what precedent should a discount bundle change the unlock scheme of one of the discounted items (also sold individually in the c-store)? If the Tardigrade was exclusive then you could make the Boff analogy but that's not actually the case (it's an item, like ship upgrade tokens). Furthermore, for what specific reason should the combat tardigrade be so changed (besides that it would be nicer)?

For reference:
    Delta Operations pack - included once per account consumables
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/game-pack/detail/718-delta-rising-operations-pack

Temporal Agent pack - included once per account consumables
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/game-pack/detail/1315-temporal-special-agent-pack

Vanguard Pack - included once per account consumable
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/game-pack/detail/2331-gamma-vanguard-pack
    Unless you're eating the Tardigrade, it is not a consumable.

Because they didn't get to do it in time. Why should they do it? Horton summed it up best. 'I meant what I said, and I said what I meant..'

I guess Arty can join T'Ress the Maintenance Engineer Doff in the ashes of the broken.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,213 Arc User
    The others have included stuff like account unlock EV suits or an account unlock for some dogs and I've heard Cryptic wants to make the tardigrades account unlock but they're always so slow, who knows it could be weeks before they decide to finally do it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    edited April 2019
    Why should they do it?

See. all of the above. TBH you're at a circular argument, they should do it because they should (baiting me into a direct argument against nice things when that's really beside the point.) The combat tardigrade is not a reclaimable item. It unlocks once for a character upon claiming. There is no precedent for changing the unlock mechanics of a bundled item with any one of the discount packs. They bundle items for a discount including items which can only be claimed once.

Folks made an assumption which wasn't born out. That's not a strong foundation for advocating change. You can either try to improve that argument (necessitating an examination of combat pet unlock mechanics, their economics, and other precedents in changing unlock schemes for certain C-store items without retroactive complications; note how specific I'm being here) or rest on a tautology. What I've done is simply shown what that argument is up against and how much of a hill it has to climb (ie. why despite requests the change was not made.) Where you take it from here is up to you.
    What did I last say? That it should be made claimible once per Character on the Account, like the TOS and Jem'Hader EV Suits. Account Unlock was too broad in the initial statements given the implications.

I never said it was a 'nice thing to do' I said it was something they indicated they were looking into to do, but it wouldn't make it for the initial release of the Pack. OK, so now do it.

I have not been in a circular argument either, I have stated from the beginning that the Tardigrade should be availible to all Characters on the Account. I admit I used an overly broad term to begin with and have since toned it down.

Are the Boffs reclaimible if dismissed? I know I'm not going to test that out.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Before the release of this pack and in the discussion thread someone had posted that the Combat Tardigrade from the Discovery Operations Pack would become an account unlock at a later date. This was in the thread that changed the bridge officers from single unlock to account unlock. We were told in the thread that the Tardigrade would become an account unlock at a later date, I'm just asking when this change will be made.

Here is the post:
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

Cryptic plans to make the combat pet account wide so buy now & cross your fingers?

Was this on the live stream, I watched most of it but never heard this statement and the pack still states it's once per account?
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11084823-the-discovery-operations-pack!

Yeah, Kael said on the live stream that they will eventually make the combat pet an account unlock.

Still, I wouldn't go buying anything until it's actually done. A verbal intent on a live stream isn't enough when you're talking the type of outrageous price this pack costs. Buy at your own risk, but if you want the combat pet for your account you should wait until it's actually implemented. If that takes until the sale is over, then fine.. skip it.

Just remember the Starter Pack Bait and Switch scam.. you're not working with a company that's afraid to skirt the line when it comes to their customers. Keep that in mind before you type in a credit card number.

So all I'm asking is for the progress on the account unlock. We were told just before the sale that we were getting an account unlock, if this changed after we bought the pack with this information that is WRONG. If this is not honored then I can no longer believe anything that we are told from Cryptic. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. It was written in the above thread that we should believe what we are told, if they go back on this you can never believe that again.

Please let me know when we will get what we were told we would get.

Thanks!
    @ambassadorkael Are we still getting the account unlock for this combat pet?
    Thanks in advance for your help....
    Post edited by psytce0002 on
    edited April 2019
    I never said it was a 'nice thing to do' I said it was something they indicated they were looking into to do, but it wouldn't make it for the initial release of the Pack. OK, so now do it.

And again, the phrase "we're looking into it" is not a statement that a patch note is coming at some point (ie. that they will do it) but that they're going to re-evaluate whether or not to make a change and/or how to make that happen. They may not do it, depending on the results of that re-examination (including will, feasibility, and complications.) Beyond every other consideration here, there's always the rational behind "we don't talk about upcoming content." Plans are always subject to change (offhand comments especially so.)

From the most recent comments I've heard on this subject on ten forward, this is where the matter stands. Someone asked (which I found noteworthy because at the time I thought folks had moved on), Kael gave a negative reply. They have no plans to change the tardigrade unlock at this time. I stated this quite early in this thread.
    Are the Boffs reclaimible if dismissed? I know I'm not going to test that out.

The key question is whether all individual c-store boffs are character-unlocked and are there any recent examples (included in the Discovery operations pack) of such precedents changing. I know the answer, just waiting for the realization that there is connected precedent for changing the tardigrade combat pet to account unlock (though it still depends on Cryptic's willingness to double back for this item and whether they want to treat combat pets in the same way as to these boffs. There may be an analogy to be had but if that conflicts with what role they want these items to serve per monetization and incentivization the answer could still well be no.)

If you're interested in advocating for the change, there's a much better way to go. Ie. a direct argument that relies on something firmer than "well you said that you were going to" or "we said you should" (both of which can be met with a simple negative.) At the very least, bringing that discussion forward could help inform future combat pet releases (if not the Tardigrade, then the next one.) If you were simply curious about where the matter stands: see the above and previous comments.
    I know that the Boffs from the Romulan, Delta, AoY, and Gamma Vanguard Packs are reclaimible. Don't know about the Discovery ones. I assume so, but given the way this Pack went down, I'm not sure.

I started posting to this Thread to counter some of the typical expected contrarian comments. I end up

https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,213 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    The discovery boffs were made reclaimable after they recieved a significant amount of backlash over them being character unlocks.

But only for the disco pack
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    i'll just leave this here...
    https://imgur.com/gallery/aWKlqVZ
    so cool
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    edited April 2019
    I know that the Boffs from the Romulan, Delta, AoY, and Gamma Vanguard Packs are reclaimible. Don't know about the Discovery ones. I assume so, but given the way this Pack went down, I'm not sure.

The difference is that the Discovery boffs are account claimable as individual c-store items too, a first for the category. They also included customization unlocks (though at the expense of individual customization, the KDF is broken and FED only allows for one head type.) But anyway there's the precedent for adding utility without worrying much about cost adjustments. They did it there, likely without big upset, so in future they could also consider doing a similar change with combat pets (unify unlock schemes across personnel.) What Cryptic says on ten forward is always subject to change. Here's something that made it into the game which informs the argument.

The issue then is whether Cryptic wants to change up combat pets (in the way they did for recent boffs, they may still value the mechanics and incentivization. Precedent only gives support for an argument, it doesn't confirm it) and do that retroactively with combat tardigrades. Folks have been buying them with single-unlocks in mind so a change now could end up upsetting those who bought the Tardigrades (under the impression that they wouldn't be account unlocks) to please those who've been holding off because they weren't. That may ultimately torpedo any changes for this pet but they could consider changing the unlock scheme for future c-store pets (both combat and non-combat.)

I'm fine regardless but sorting through the arguments to find the most productive one I do have more of an interest in (particularly when it involves tardigrades.)
This discussion has been closed.