test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does anything work correctly in this game?

I can't believe the incredible amount if game play bugs and glitches this game has.
I just leveled up to 40 on my Romulan character. I get my new ship and go out to test it.
I joined a TFO. When it started, instead if being in my Romulan Warbird. I found myself in some slow federation ship, that couldn't get out if its' own way.
Could even fire off torpedoes, because the ship won't move.
None of the specs for the shield were applied. As soon as battle starts, the shield went down.

Then there is the constant glitches during mission play. With the game not recognizing your accomplishments, then not allowing you to continue, unless you drop and restart the mission.
This is beyond annoying, especially when you're about finished and have to start over again.

The Vault mission is bugged beyond ridiculous. As well as it was designed to force you to upgrade to a paid for shuttle, if you hope to succeed in escaping the vault.

I play 7 different characters. The only one that has passed the vault, is the one with a Roundabout upgrade shuttle. That one barely made it through.

All other attempts with the game provided shuttle, get stuck and instantly killed by the war bird in the last chamber.

Also, the TFO's associated with missions, don't always give credit for completing.
Some TFOs are not even in the list.

Comments

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,933 Arc User
    All other attempts with the game provided shuttle, get stuck and instantly killed by the war bird in the last chamber.
    As I recall, you are actively encouraged not to engage enemy starships whilst in the shuttle.
    One trick to getting past that Warbird is to lure it around the central pillar in one direction and then escape by approaching the door from the other direction. Remember - the shuttle/runabout has vastly superior manoeuvrability over a starship which can work to your advantage.
    It in absolutely no way a necessity to purchase a 'paid' shuttle as they don't have anything that makes them superior to the free shuttle you get.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    I can't believe the incredible amount if game play bugs and glitches this game has.
    I just leveled up to 40 on my Romulan character. I get my new ship and go out to test it.
    I joined a TFO. When it started, instead if being in my Romulan Warbird. I found myself in some slow federation ship, that couldn't get out if its' own way.
    None of the specs for the shield were applied. As soon as battle starts, the shield went down.

Which TFO was this? Binary stars TFO has a fed DSC-time overlay which you get over your ship.
    If it was this TFO, than the overlay is perfectly normal.
    It shouldn't effect your abillities so much though, it can be a little less than your used to, but not as much.
    The Vault mission is bugged beyond ridiculous. As well as it was designed to force you to upgrade to a paid for shuttle, if you hope to succeed in escaping the vault.

I play 7 different characters. The only one that has passed the vault, is the one with a Roundabout upgrade shuttle. That one barely made it through.

You have to avoid the enemies in this shuttle mission. Approaching them will make it you very very difficult to succeed. If you read the assigment you get before hand, it does say you have to sneek arround them.
    Also, the TFO's associated with missions, don't always give credit for completing.

Be more specific please, which TFOs are not giving you credit? Was the TFO finished succesfully? Some TFOs won't give you any credit, or a very small amount, when they fail.

Which TFOs are not listed?
  • ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I strongly believe that you ended up in The Battle at the Binary Stars. In that TFO your ship will looks like a federation ship no matter what. Regarding the fact that "the ship couldn't get out..." it's your build sorry.
    At the beginning of the mission there is a lockout, there are also some interruptions in the middle. Otherwise there may be other problems related to your loadout or autofire.
    Then there is the constant glitches during mission play. With the game not recognizing your accomplishments, then not allowing you to continue, unless you drop and restart the mission.
    This is beyond annoying, especially when you're about finished and have to start over again.
    This specific mission (Binary stars) is divided in parts. At some point you will find yourself in another place, but this doesn't mean that the mission is not progressing.

Shuttles missions are hard... most of the players don't play such mission for a reason. Honestly speaking... avoid them.
  • truckie011#3418 truckie011 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    As I recall, you are actively encouraged not to engage enemy starships whilst in the shuttle.
    One trick to getting past that Warbird is to lure it around the central pillar in one direction and then escape by approaching the door from the other direction. Remember - the shuttle/runabout has vastly superior manoeuvrability over a starship which can work to your advantage.
    It in absolutely no way a necessity to purchase a 'paid' shuttle as they don't have anything that makes them superior to the free shuttle you get.

I understand the concept of how to get out of the vault.
    I've done it on one character. But had to upgrade to the roundabout to do it.
    In fact, I've successfully done it 3 times with that character.
    But the rest run into the same issue. They're not fast or controlable enough to get out.
    Plus, not all of us can clearly see the dot that represents the shuttle.
    The problem with the game is once you miss the first opportunity to shoot the locks on the ladt door. It isn't resetting when you respawn.
    Trying to trigger it, you just end up in caught in the tractor beam.

• divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Its a little difficult to avoid a storyline mission like the Vault, unless you want to miss out on some of the lore. However, I don't understand how anyone has difficulty with this particular mission and the T'Varo warbird in the last room is a very easy kill for a shuttle, but it can also be avoided with a little bit of guile as Inferiority stated in his answer.

I'm not sure which tractor beam you are referring to but if you have the original beam array on the shuttle it has a 360 degree firing arc so you should be able to disable. Evasive manoeuvres is also very good to pull away from a tractor beam.
  • truckie011#3418 truckie011 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    divvydend wrote: »
    Its a little difficult to avoid a storyline mission like the Vault, unless you want to miss out on some of the lore. However, I don't understand how anyone has difficulty with this particular mission and the T'Varo warbird in the last room is a very easy kill for a shuttle, but it can also be avoided with a little bit of guile as Inferiority stated in his answer.

I'm not sure which tractor beam you are referring to but if you have the original beam array on the shuttle it has a 360 degree firing arc so you should be able to disable. Evasive manoeuvres is also very good to pull away from a tractor beam.

Maybe for someone with a lot of play experience or cash invested into upgraded equipment. I've only been playing a month.
    As per the lore. You don't miss out on anything by skipping it.

As much effort they put into this game world. I just find all the obvious flaws annoying.
    Such as the menu button, being the same button as interact. Such as jumping. I can not count the number of times I've ended up leaving the screen, or dying, do to this.
    Another annoying issues, is their belief they need crazy ridiculous graphics, during ground combat.
    It gets so ridiculous, that you can't see where your supposed to be shooting.
    I'm sure that appeals to 12-14 year olds. But I find it annoying and distracting. To the point it takes from the enjoyment.
    I much prefer the style you see at lower levels. Rather than the light show intensive battles you get as you reach level 50 and beyond.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,933 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Maybe for someone with a lot of ... cash invested into upgraded equipment.
    Well, I don't upgrade shuttle equipment - I just equip it with some mission rewards/drops.
    For example, a turret and corresponding tactical console. The Omni-beam from "Sphere of Influence" works nicely on a shuttle too.
    A re-run to get the warp core adds a nice boost to the beam damage too.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I concur with inferiority. You're not supposed to engage the Mogai.

I've done that run in EC shuttles and even the free one, so it's not impossible.

I don't even attempt to lure the Mogai anywhere, I just sit and wait out of weapons range until its patrol takes it far enough away that I can shoot the lock and run like a scalded dog. The Mogai won't pursue you very far if it detects you.

The T'Varo is an easy enough kill for a shuttle. I've never had problems with it.

The only times I had problems outside the Vault was accidentally getting close enough to the D'D to have it lock on and fire at me. And that doesn't happen often.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • picardocaptpicardocapt Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    (In short) Yes - Things do run, inside STO.
    "To baldly go, where no one has gone before"

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    The only TFO I can think of that changes the look of your ship is the Battle of Binary Stars. In that case there is a mandatory briefing and there is also a point at which you're momentarily frozen in place as part of the mission. That's just part of it. If it's not Binary Stars then please post the name of the TFO below so I know what to tell some of the higher ups. I don't mind helping nor do the devs, but we have to know what's broke so it can be fixed.

In terms of the Vault, I've done it in free shuttles, and I've done it in my Delta Flyer. In fact I have a build for you. I don't normally post these things here but I have a link to a shuttle build that's nearly identical to what i have now. Depending on what shuttle you're using it can easily be adapted. It's a budget shuttle build that will cost you no more than 2m ec to kit out. Actually 1.4m ec to be exact. I include notes on where to get everything as well. https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/572d1800c00cebccbc33c772c2049d8e

As for not getting credit, can you specify the TFO and objectives in question? Again I don't care to help you out, I just need to know what's broke.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User

I understand the concept of how to get out of the vault.
    I've done it on one character. But had to upgrade to the roundabout to do it.
    In fact, I've successfully done it 3 times with that character.
    But the rest run into the same issue. They're not fast or controlable enough to get out.
    Plus, not all of us can clearly see the dot that represents the shuttle.
    The problem with the game is once you miss the first opportunity to shoot the locks on the ladt door. It isn't resetting when you respawn.
    Trying to trigger it, you just end up in caught in the tractor beam.

Personally I too dislike The Vault mission, but I have never failed to complete it through dozens of such missions with a diverse variety of characters and/or shuttle types used?