test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the game worth coming back ?

pbrufordpbruford Member Posts: 1 Arc User
hi all I am thinking coming back to the game but I ask is it worth it and if so are there any fleets recruiting a casual player
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    The first we cannot decide for you. Most people on the forums will of course say "yes", since we're here playing the game, so many must consider it worth it.

Fleets recruiting a (casual) player should be no problem at all.

Of course, depending on when you left many things may have changed. Production values are up for the most part, many new mechanics introduced which may seem overwhelming, and so on ...
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I think it depends entirely on what you are looking for in the game. I took an 8 month break from the game and coming back now I discovered the new Endeavor system. It's not an event and I can do these quests as I like. In the past I was hellbent on trying to get most of the stuff from the STO events but there is one every month so eventually I felt like the game became like a chore. It felt like I was forced to do each event and it never ended. I am glad there are so many events but it got grindy after a while.

So I decided to simply pick and choose the rewards I like instead of getting all of them. It's nice to have nearly everything but I no longer have that kind of time for the game. I like STO because it is generally allows for very relaxing and less time consuming gameplay and gaming. Other MMOS require huge investment and I am unable to give that fully for other games.

So is STO worth coming back to? Well, content wise there isn't a lot to do at this point if we are merely talking missions, new battlezones and so forth. But they seem to add a lot of other stuff to do like numerous reputation systems, the Endeavor system and multiple other "side/secondary" things to do. If you are looking for a lot of main gameplay then you might be disappointed because STO makes very slow progress there content wise.

I suppose you could login and see what's new.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I'd suggest getting to know some fleets first before actually committing to one. That way you'll know if you'll fit in and if its casual enough. In my opinion finding a fleet that you like and can fit in with is more important that just finding a fleet.

Might be a few casual fleets that still ask for a certain level of participation or resource donation while others are so chill that the only requirement is to interact with others.

My fleet's one of the more chill ones. Although somewhat small despite the number of members we have on our roster. If you'd like to talk sometime I'd be more than willing to. I can even get a couple other fleetmembers to make an appearance so you get a feel for it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Do you like playing story episodes? Great, there should be some that you haven't played, including the DS9 / Jem'Hadar and Discovery stories.

Do you like space queues? There are several new ones you'll probably enjoy playing at least once or twice.

Gameplay and gearing hasn't changed much since Delta Rising. There are new specializations, boff powers, Mark XV gear level, gear re-engineering but none of that makes a huge difference to the core pew pew pew.
    edited April 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2019

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2019
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The best advice you can get is just try the game.

It's free to play.. the only cost to you to try it is the time it takes you to download and install the game. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, and some are here to do nothing but their typical 'doucebaggery' so just tune everyone out and give the game a try.

Personally, I feel it's worth playing, but as someone that's played the game for years, my view is biased. Rather it's worth it for you is a decision only you can make. If you stick around and you need any advice or assistance then please feel free to ask.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2019

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • samb17101samb17101 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    pbruford wrote: »
    hi all I am thinking coming back to the game but I ask is it worth it and if so are there any fleets recruiting a casual player

O.k. so I don't know if it helps but I just recently did a review of the game as it stands today. It goes over some of the features and discusses the difference and evolution of the game. It may help you make your decision. I'm going to like it because typing out what I said in the review would like be a large book worth of text. Hopefully this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2xbU7Sn0oo&t=1s
    edited April 2019
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2019
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Ok. I guess the warnings weren't enough. Stop derailing the thread with this pointless argument about Discovery's abbreviation. One is official and the other is trolling. Period. Like the show, don't like the show, but starting arguments and derailing threads is against forum rules.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Here we go again.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I came back. I didn't play for the better part of over a year and a half, mainly because of life and all. But I'm enjoying it again.

I would make the complaint that the story missions are coming out less frequently than they did before, but that's pointless because it's clear that they're putting a lot more work into them. So what does come out, is pretty damn good.

Same with the ships. We're getting a lot of Disco ships recently for obvious reasons, but they're still going back and re-touching/updating to T6 a lot of the original canon ships as well. Takes more time, but the finished product probably looks worlds better depending on how long you've been away. Either way, you're getting fresh Disco plus classic Trek content on the regular.

Overall, it's an MMO. Players are going to leave and come back over time. I'd say if you enjoyed it before, chances are high you'll enjoy it again :smile:
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Just remember to bring eye protection on your return. The visual spam is probably 10 times worse than when you last played.

Other than that, you'll have to play to find out for yourself. Personally, with the latest nerf to 55+ NPC damage, the game is so easy it's hard to pay attention to.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    pbruford wrote: »

If you feel the need to ask that question, then for you I would say: "No, it's not."
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Just remember to bring eye protection on your return. The visual spam is probably 10 times worse than when you last played.

Other than that, you'll have to play to find out for yourself. Personally, with the latest nerf to 55+ NPC damage, the game is so easy it's hard to pay attention to.

Well now I can play my T1 Oberth for end game content and not actually do too badly, so I'm not complaining.

Also, kick up the difficulty setting and then re-run missions if you get bored. Or limit yourself to Mk XII VR max loadouts for more of a challenge. You can still make the game fun.
This discussion has been closed.