test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Advice wanted on building end game capable ship

2»

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    One quick Edit to my build.. I just looked on the exchange and the Plasma Wave is 6M EC.. you can remove that. I liked it for this build just to try and stack as much passive cat1 as we could get, but the actual console itself is garbage. When I bought one for a build I was using a while back it was under 1M. 6M is way over priced, don't pay that much.

Replace it with the Sustained Radiant Field from the Iconian Rep. If you want another descent exchange console you could use Hostile Acquisition to boost your accuracy.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Here is the link: Mevarius 1.

Without further adeu, here is the revised build - Mevarius 2.

The minimum gear you need is Mark XII VR. The nearest free mission set is about 37 missions away from frozen. A step between stars https://sto.gamepedia.com/Solanae_Hybrid_Technologies.
    You probably need to find some Mark XII VR for your defelctor, engine and shields before you get the free mission set if you are having difficulty in surviving. seaofsorrows revised build would give you enough damage.
    You do need to work on your reputation. The traits: Space reputation and Active reputation make a lot of difference in the build.

Here is an example of engineers traits it for KDF but can be used for FED.

qzRqxU7.jpg

Particle manipulator is there as i tend to use Gravity well.
    Omega Gravition Amplifier is for the tropedos i use.
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    sarah2774 wrote: »

Here is the link: Mevarius 1.

Without further adeu, here is the revised build - Mevarius 2.

The minimum gear you need is Mark XII VR.

It really isn't. If you have a sensible build, common mark XII or similar aka rare mark X with good mods is good enough. At least for normal story mode if not all normal content.

Agreed.

If he took my build, but with all Green and Blue rarity gear, he would still easily cruise through his current content. He hasn't even reached the difficulty spike yet, he'll be fine.

I understand that the build I posted will take some work. There is nothing I can post that's totally free and accessible right this minute that will turn him into an instant killing machine. It's going to take time and work.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    @seaofsorrows
    One footnote with the build you posted, the Lukari piezo DHC is from a Tier 6 reputation so if the OP has not started the reps yet it is a minimum of 50 days reputation grinding. That is assuming the OP has a character at T6 for Lukari otherwise it is 100 day grind.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »
    @seaofsorrows
    One footnote with the build you posted, the Lukari piezo DHC is from a Tier 6 reputation so if the OP has not started the reps yet it is a minimum of 50 days reputation grinding. That is assuming the OP has a character at T6 for Lukari otherwise it is 100 day grind.

Which is why I advised him to substitute it with another Cannon until he can get it.

Given his current budget and story progression, there is no real way for him to just fix everything right now, for Free. The start point would be to correct his bridge officer layout and get his gear as close as possible, but the example build given is intended as a goal that will take time to reach. The build gives him an idea what to strive for, once he reaches that point then he can start refining it for more challenging content.
  • maphisto86#2647 maphisto86 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @seaofsorrows

I followed most of your advice and it has already paid dividends. My warbird finally has some talons again! Using the duty officers helped quite a bit. Though I did get new gear by selling some of the Promotion Lock Boxes I had on the exchange. That also went a long way to getting me almost even with the NPCs in space combat. Now if I can only upgrade my ground equipment and kit. I still need to redo my skill tree to your specs but otherwise thank you very much for your input. It allowed me to at least get me past that "Frozen" mission (I don't like to skip missions). Granted I still die a lot but I am still a newbie. Right now I am trying to upgrade some of the gear I couldn't get such as the aft turrets for my build and the rail gun. I will post a new build based on what I am currently running. Oh, I did decide to keep one torpedo on my build. The disrupting photon torpedo I upgraded is one of the strongest weapons I have. I intend to eventually upgrade some heavy cannons to hopefully replace it. Lack of refined dilithium is my biggest limitation at the moment.
    Good to hear @maphisto86#2647 , I am glad it's helping you.

When you get around to your skill tree, assuming you're a tactical captain this is my tactical template that I use for my Tactical Officers. It has the skill chart filled out for ground and space, has some sample gear, duty officers, and away teams filled in if you would like to reference it.

As always when I post any build, I need to add the disclaimer that this just what I personally use. This is not intended to suggest that it's the 'best' or the 'right way' to do things.. it's just whats effective for me. You can copy it or you can take parts from it.. feel free to tweak it and make it your own.

Also, you mentioned you couldn't get turrets for your aft? Are you on PC? if you are, I could probably dig some up for you. Just send me your character@handle and I can mail you a few Plasma Turrets. They won't be Epic with perfect mods, but they'll be pretty nice for what you're doing.

Let me know if you need any other help, I'll do what I can. See you out there! :smile:
    Also, you mentioned you couldn't get turrets for your aft? Are you on PC? if you are, I could probably dig some up for you. Just send me your character@handle and I can mail you a few Plasma Turrets. They won't be Epic with perfect mods, but they'll be pretty nice for what you're doing.

Let me know if you need any other help, I'll do what I can. See you out there! :smile:

Thank you very much for all of your help. I wouldn't mind a few turrets to help cover my aft. My info is Mevarius@Maphisto86#2647.

Thank you very much for all of your help. I wouldn't mind a few turrets to help cover my aft. My info is Mevarius@Maphisto86#2647.

I sent you few with nice mods, should give you a little extra punch.

When you get time, if you want to post an updated build I'll see if I have anything else lying around that you can use. :smile:
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    If you need something crafted, let me know, i have level 20 on every school
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    edited April 2019
    gaevsman wrote: »
    If you need something crafted, let me know, i have level 20 on every school

Level 20!? I am still in the single digits. :# Thank you for the offer. I will definitely consider it as it costs way to much to buy stuff on the exchange or get upgrades for me right now.
    I sent you few with nice mods, should give you a little extra punch.

When you get time, if you want to post an updated build I'll see if I have anything else lying around that you can use. :smile:

I will post an update to my build sometime soon. I have made a lot of progress in the game and started making other ship builds as well. Still need to share items between my ships though. One of these days I get R&D leveled up and then I can use all that R&D materials I have stashed.
    edited April 2019
    So I am still hitting pretty softly while getting my shields and hull torn up like tissue paper. I am having trouble with all of my characters but here is an example from my Romulan Engineer toon - RRW Temer. I have begun levelling up my reputations and am on Tier 4 of the New Romulus Reputation but still need to make some leeway on all the other reputations. Are there any specific reputations I should be striving for? I know that question is probably going to lead to some subjective answers but I appreciate your opinions.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Well... nothing in shield hardness might be an issue.

Also... without knowing what KIND of ship the Temer is... You're kinda wasting skill points with Coordination Protocols, Offensive Coordination, and Defensive Coordination. Those three augment hanger pets. Something that really won't help you in something that doesn't have hanger pets. Would be better to drop those three entirely and put a couple points into Shield Hardness and the last point into Energized Hull Plating. Those would help you no matter what you're flying.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited April 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... nothing in shield hardness might be an issue.

Also... without knowing what KIND of ship the Temer is... You're kinda wasting skill points with Coordination Protocols, Offensive Coordination, and Defensive Coordination. Those three augment hanger pets. Something that really won't help you in something that doesn't have hanger pets. Would be better to drop those three entirely and put a couple points into Shield Hardness and the last point into Energized Hull Plating. Those would help you no matter what you're flying.

I usually do 1 point into Hardness, I don't find it much different using any more points then that. Up to the individual of course, some people put 2 into it. I have learned not to count on my shields too much so I usually put that other point into my Hull.

The points in the tactical tree are no doubt there for the tactical ultimate. I do the same thing.

Now.. about the actual build..

Your Weapon layout isn't great and not what was advised. It's fine if it's working, but apparently, it isn't. Not sure why you have the dual beam/single beam combo going, but it doesn't work very well at all. Dual Beams are used in 'front facing' builds due to their narrow firing arc. Your single beams have a much larger arc which allows you to broad side putting all your weapons on target. This of course is negated in your build because when you broad side, you can't fire your dual beam banks, and when you face your dual beam banks.. your aft single beams can't fire. You will do a lot more damage if you convert your font weapons to single beams and keep your sides to the enemy so all of them can hit at once. If you want to keep the aft or front torp, that's up to you.. but I would drop one of them.

Also, without filling in the bridge officer powers, it's hard to fully critique your build.

Your problem isn't the skill tree.. the tree is good enough. The issue is your weapons and more then likely the bridge officer powers you're using. If you want to fill those in and post an updated build, I'll be happy to try and help.
    So I am still hitting pretty softly while getting my shields and hull torn up like tissue paper. Are there any specific reputations I should be striving for?

Get this trait if you are fed align. https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Honored_Dead replace the Ablative Field Projector.

You need the Experimental Romulan Beam Array from the rep for the set bonus.

Lukari Restoration Initiative Reputation System
    Lukari Restoration Initiative Armaments set. Go for the Plasma variant of the Advanced Piezo Beam Array in the set (tier 6). It's good for survivability and set bonus for plasma damage.

The gear is ok you should not be having any difficuty in hitting and surviving. I think you are not using the boff abilities correctly, have the wrong set up and combination.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    I am glad it's helping you.
    You're not just helping the OP... I totally spaced the fact that Tier 6 Lukari rep has plasma pieces in it. Just what I needed to finish my plasma build on a KDF Romulan Tac. Thanks.

p.s. I try to use co-ordination protocols whenever there's room aside from when going pure science/control/epg. They seem to stack nicely in a team environment when others have them - 4 team mates x 5% is the same buff carrier pets would get.
    edited May 2019
    Sorry everyone for the incomplete build profile. Here is the updated one: link. Let me know if I missed anything. I was unable to find all of the equipment on the skill planner for my ship though so I had to substitute one of the fore plasma beam arrays and the singularity core. I also updated my skills a bit but advice on a respec would be appreciated.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    I haven't been part of this thread so will just throw in my 2 EC and duck out...

Your skill tree is basically OK but consider putting your extra power points (especially for an engineer) from the two sub-systems mentioned below into some impulse expertise. If you ever plan on a respec Sea's tactical template (above) is a great place to start and can be adjusted to include projectile weapon training.

Skill Tree:
    • No points into Impulse Expertise (usually 1-2)
    • Shield subsytem performance 1 pt (usually 0)
    • Weapons subsystem performance 1pt (usually 0)

Your boff abilities could use some fine tuning - beam overload puts bfaw into cool down, boarding party and aceton beam likely have some better alternatives, 'beam target x' skills also put BO and BFAW into CD and very likely could be replaced with other far more useful abilities such as torpedo skills or attack patterns. It would be nice to see a copy of EPtW3 in there as well.

The Aelahl Warbird Battlecruiser is a really cool looking ship. Nice to see you're getting your build sorted out.
    edited May 2019
    Your bridge officer is a bit of a mess.

Replace
    Beam target weapons 3 with Beam fire at will 3
    Beam target shield 1 with torpedo spread 1
    Beam fire at will 2 with attack patten delta
    Boarding party 1 with Overload intergrity field 2
    Aceton beam 2 with Directed energy modulation 3
    polarise hull 2 with photonic officer 1
    emergency power to engine to emergency power to weapons

My opinon on how to use the powers in synergy.
    Directed energy modulation before you use beams for extra penetration
    Overload intergrity field with healing power it makes your healing more powerful.
    Photonic officer after you use all your bridge officer abilities as if cut your recharge time

Your skill tree looks fine to me if you need more heals maybe replace shield subsystem performance with damage control.
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg