test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we get some love for Plasma weapons?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,188 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    99% or so of torpedoes all deal KINETIC as their baseline damage. What sets them all apart is their characteristics. Quantums hit harder than Photons, Transphasic has a chance to shield pen, Chroniton has a chance to slow, Plasma slaps a Plasma DoT.

Just because it says Plasma doesn't make it a pure plasma weapon. Not only that, it doesn't use the same damage console to boost its damage like a plasma beam.

A plasma torpedo is not augmented by a Plasma Infuser console. It is augmented by an Ambiplasma Envelope.
    STOwiki wrote:
    The Ambiplasma Envelope is a Tactical Console that adds a bonus to your starship plasma projectile weapon damage. It affects both plasma torpedoes and mines. Both the initial kinetic damage and the plasma burn effects are enhanced.
    STOwiki wrote:
    The Plasma Infuser is a Tactical Console that adds a bonus to your starship plasma weapon damage. It affects plasma cannons, beams, and turrets.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Tactical_-_Ambiplasma_Envelope
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Tactical_-_Plasma_Infuser

So yes... you are mudying the waters and not really making sence when you say they use the same consoles.

Do Plasma torps need some love? Yes I will agree they do. However to lump them in with pure plasma damage weapons like beams is making things more confusing.
    Why are you bringing up pure plasma weapons and plasma Infuser consoles? This is not a thread only about weapons that do 100% plasma damage and no one is saying plasma projectiles are 100% plasma damage or that infuser consoles work. (bar that one exception).

“So yes... you are mudying the waters and not really making sence when you say they use the same consoles.”
    Sorry but I don’t see how I am muddying the waters or not making sense. I never said they use the same console. What I did say is the correct type of plasma weapon console interacts and boosts plasma on plasma projectiles and those projectiles are plasma weapons.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,148 Community Moderator
    I think the fact we're arguing over this at all is evidence enough of confusion.
    Several times you said that Plasma Torpedos do Plasma Damage. You don't specify that it is the DoT. You also made it sound as though one console can augment ALL plasma, which isn't the case.

That may not have been your intent, but I think its pretty easy to see how someone can interpret it that way.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    They still do plasma damage 100% of the time which makes them plasma weapons like I said.

Easily interpreted as Plasma ENERGY damage. Its the delivery that seems to be the core issue here.

The real issue of this thread is Plasma Energy damage type and how it underperforms compared to other energy types. Plasma Torpedos are a subset that aren't directly connected to the energy type. The DoT isn't augmented by plasma energy boosting consoles. Most likely falls under Exotic damage or something like that. We both agree that Plasma Torps need some attention. We also agree that Plasma Energy needs some attention to bring it up to par with damage types like Phaser and Tetryon.

Plasma doesn't have as much to augment it like all the others. That is what we're focusing on. Not classifying Plasma Torpedos.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,188 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    “I think the fact we're arguing over this at all is evidence enough of confusion.
    Several times you said that Plasma Torpedos do Plasma Damage. You don't specify that it is the DoT. You also made it sound as though one console can augment ALL plasma, which isn't the case.

That may not have been your intent, but I think its pretty easy to see how someone can interpret it that way. “
    I said they do plasma damage as that is what they do. Depending on the target hit plasma damage can make up around 40% to 75% of the total damage per shot. I do not see what is wrong with saying that.

It seems to me you misread my posts and thought I said something different then I did. Go back and take a look. Right from the start when I quoted Ruinthefun I said you have to have the correct type of weapon console fitted and I also confirmed shortly after that in a quote to you. “No one said those work. They still have plasma damage consoles that do work and does boost the plasma damage.” in reference to energy consoles. If there was some confusion before that, I do not see how anyone could think I was talking about one console to augment all plasma after that post.

“The real issue of this thread is Plasma Energy damage type and how it underperforms compared to other energy types. Plasma Torpedos are a subset that aren't directly connected to the energy type. The DoT isn't augmented by plasma energy boosting consoles. Most likely falls under Exotic damage or something like that. We both agree that Plasma Torps need some attention. We also agree that Plasma Energy needs some attention to bring it up to par with damage types like Phaser and Tetryon.”
    Energy weapon plasma is not the real issue of this thread. This thread was not created just to talk about energy weapons. I do not see how the DoT not being boosted by energy consoles is relevant. That doesn’t change the fact they are plasma weapons and this thread is about plasma weapons. All plasma weapons.
    Projectile Plasma is directly connected to the energy plasma damage type. The actual plasma damage dealt by the plasma projectiles is energy plasma. Although we can no longer use Plasma_Infusers the damage type is the same. A long time ago you could even use infuses to boost the projectile plasma damage but that was stopped as the devs didn’t like the idea of mixing plasma torpdeos and energy weapons with one console. With the exception of the Emissions torpedo none of them do exotic plasma, that is a different thing altogether.

“We both agree that Plasma Torps need some attention. We also agree that Plasma Energy needs some attention to bring it up to par with damage types like Phaser and Tetryon.
    Although my suggestion’s to fix plasmas was a narrow focus on projectiles, I fully agree energy weapon plasma is in need of the same attention.
This discussion has been closed.