test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Updates to Hair and Skin Textures

124»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure they're going to tinker with this until it stops being broken.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure they're going to tinker with this until it stops being broken.

And end up breaking 15 other things in the process... :D
    The only hair textures that I can confirm as to not have it look like someone got waterboarded with Slimer's love juice, would be Parted Middle and Fauxhawk for males, and New Styled Elegant for females. I really wish they hadn't forced this on us. And I shouldn't have to dumb my rig down to the lowest common denominator(Marty's level) to have something look good. It wasn't broke the first time. Then last week's patch messed things up. This week's patch fixed some things, but made others worse. However, I do notice that there are a pair of black patches at the hairline for Parted Middle for males, along with a gap in the rear between hair and the back of the neck. Like it's afraid to maintain contact with the skin. Hairstyle needs to be brought forward slightly to fix that, possibly get right of the black patches. Once I figure out how to use photobucket again, I'll put up a screenshot of what I mean.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    To be honest I hope they don’t remove the update, I have a low end computer and I can now turn down the graphics settings and have it look good and not the unplayable mess before while still running at fast speeds.

If it’s not looking right for you I suggest turning down some graphics settings as there is really no longer a need to have the maximum and if it is a problem turning down the settings might actually make it look better.

After playing around with the graphics settings for a bit, I disagree that the problem variously described as "dandruff", "caked with mud", "dunked in slime and blowdried", and "waterboarded with Slimer's love juice" is ameliorated by turning down one's graphics settings. The problem is not fixed by changing any of the usual culprits:
    • Bloom quality
    • Bloom intensity
    • Screen-space ambient occlusion
    • Depth of field
    • Reflection quality
    • Lighting 2.0
    I also checked "Antialiasing", since that was mentioned in the blog post, but that didn't fix the problem either. The problem is affected by "Shadows", but in the opposite direction: If you turn shadows on and stand in the shadow, then the problem is less noticeable. From what I can tell, only the following has any effect on the problem:
    • the "Shininess" slider in the tailor
    • hair color (the problem is less apparent with lighter hair)
    • the brightness of the light you're standing under
    • whether you're standing in shadow (assuming you have shadows turned on)
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    No patch note, but I can confirm that hair is in fact fixed, skin is still the right color, and costumes are the right reflectivity. If there's a difference between what we have now and what we had a month ago, it's barely noticeable.

I do hope that Cryptic continues their experimentation into modernizing character graphics. But from now on please keep experiments on Tribble where they belong.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    guriphu wrote: »
    No patch note, but I can confirm that hair is in fact fixed, skin is still the right color, and costumes are the right reflectivity. If there's a difference between what we have now and what we had a month ago, it's barely noticeable.

I do hope that Cryptic continues their experimentation into modernizing character graphics. But from now on please keep experiments on Tribble where they belong.

Yeah, not sure if they fixed it, or rolled it back. I'd have to say rolled it back. Though, I do miss the outfit change. A lot of the shiny outfits look better in matte. They should add a select for the color pallet for all outfits, shiny or matte, so we can choose between them. All the shiny bits are starting to get on my nerves, and I'm starting to look toward outfits, and pieces that don't have it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    trennan wrote: »
    guriphu wrote: »

Yeah, not sure if they fixed it, or rolled it back. I'd have to say rolled it back. Though, I do miss the outfit change. A lot of the shiny outfits look better in matte. They should add a select for the color pallet for all outfits, shiny or matte, so we can choose between them. All the shiny bits are starting to get on my nerves, and I'm starting to look toward outfits, and pieces that don't have it.

That would require them adding in features for the menu on already existing uniforms and outfits. I didn't like the experiment with changing the Hirogen, Honor Guard, Veteran, Voth, Dyson Rep Heavy Armor, Terran Rep Armor or Undine Rep Armor parts when they tried testing things out. Those outfits I'm glad they reverted back, but those you could argue, should have gloss in areas.
  • theomenntheomenn Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Skin is still a disaster.
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    theomenn wrote: »
    Skin is still a disaster.

What are you seeing off about it? It looks like it used to on my characters as far as I can tell.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    If I'm right, this is going to get broken again tomorrow.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1248240/tribble-maintenance-and-release-notes-04-09-19
    frtoaster wrote: »
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Two problems I've noticed so far:

1. My characters increase in size when I activate a floater. I have no idea what might cause this.

2. When Lighting 2.0 is turned off, my characters and bridge officers are darker in the "Status" tab on Tribble than on Holodeck. Yet, somehow, the following bug with Lighting 2.0 is still not fixed:

Holodeck ticket 4,809,827: Lighting in "Status" tab too bright when Lighting 2.0 is on

So now, the lighting in the "Status" tab looks wrong whether Lighting 2.0 is on or off: too dark when Lighting 2.0 is off, and too bright when Lighting 2.0 is on. Am I the only one seeing this?

A new problem, or rather an old one: I noticed that my hair color is darker than before, so I went to check the "Shininess" slider in the tailor. Yep, the "Shininess" slider is broken again. And rosy-cheeked Andorians are back. It looks like the initial hair and skin update without the fixes. The fixes that are now on Holodeck are missing from Tribble. Is this patch going to Holodeck tomorrow? If so, you'll have a regression on your hands.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Necro. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.