test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something is wrong in Q Winter Wonderland - Missing Racers and Attacked by Snowmen

galman1galman1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
Problem.
On every toon on 3 different accounts so far on 2 different computers have run into the same issue.

Before I start, this is not my first Q WW and have been around since first day (minus a few breaks) so I know what isn't right or everything has been wrong.

1st. There is no one racing my toons anymore. I encountered this issue on my laptop. Since I thought perhaps the game is now considering showing the racer was missing due to something changed in the graphics that my settings which were adjusted to reduce speed of GPU since no need to run it, but I don't want the Intel CPU trying to takeover. I then when to my desktop signed into one of my other accounts (since a bug could follow a toon or chance or laptop GPU issues.) However my desktop is running Win 7 64bit, 8GB ram Sandy (2600K) vs Ivy (laptop CPU) and a 1070 ti FTW2 vs 680m. So the hardware on my desktop should have ruled out if computer based. Same thing I was attacked all along the race course and I never saw my competition. I even turned several times to see and there is nothing behind me or in front. Yes I get the "You Win" or whatever so I was participating in the fastest game on ice. Tried my 3rd KDF only toon and still snowball attacks and no racer racing against.

2nd mentioned above, where if you were doing the fastest game on ice, you normally don't get attacked nor hit by any snowballs during that phase in the event. Yet all characters tried on were attacked and no racer.

I don't know if this is a gremlin, hacking of server and they are changing things around, or a glitch/one time occurance.

Checked my connection and both systems for any unusual activity, network IP's that are being contacted for no reason, etc, so I know my system and router are secure as you can get short of getting a professional hardware based security system.

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    It is my understanding if you (are lucky enough to) spawn onto the Fastest Game on Ice race course, and have no opponent, the Snowmen will attack you.

Knowing this in advance, check the time and make sure the Snowman Fight is not happening.

Lots of players go through lots of hoops to run this race without a competitor, on purpose. How your computer is managing to place you in a race without an opponent every single time, that is weird. I am sure players who would like to know: How are you doing this? :smiley:

The only thing that has changed with this race this year is: no more animation of waving to the Race Official when you interact at the start. I have no idea if that is a bug or intentionally deleted.

I wish they would put it back, though, I can no longer tell if someone is waiting to race or just standing around being a pri..."thorn in my side".
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    FYI, with it without an NPC racing opponent, if I raced during the Snowmen Attack I would be attacked. I am not aware of the often-requested change to protect players running "Fastest Game on Ice" ever being actually implemented. As far as I know, making the events on a clear schedule is the solution/compromise put into effect.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I have yet to have no opponent this year. Notwithstanding, if you do get no opponent the Snowmen will attack if that is running during your race as mentioned above.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Here is what I noticed in the past 2 days: when running the "Fastest Game on Ice" race during the time of the "Snowball Fight" game....

The Snowmen that come to life are NOT attacking the racers but they will go on the race course track to chase after the NPC spectators/onlookers standing on the edge of the track. The Snowmen will, also, go across the track during the race to chase after player characters (not racing but actually doing the game) shooting at them.

The racers are caught in the crossfire, that is all.

I did the race twice in the past 2 days...once my character did NOT attack Snowmen before I ran the race. Once my character attacked the Snowmen before the race.

Both times, while running the race, the Snowmen did not target my character. Only before and after the race.

I do TRY to avoid racers and the race course track while playing the Snowball Fight. Other people though.....
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • captmack68captmack68 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Last night I logged in to race during a snowball fight. Tried to find a 'finished' low population map but no one was fighting so decided to go ahead and run it. I was one of 3 people on the map. The snowball fight was at 3% but someone had just cleared that line between the gazebo and the race start.

Started the race and there was no opponent.
    I was attacked by snowmen the entire race and frozen several times before I finished.
    I did not fight back. Only being held got them off of me to move on.

I was able to finish and actually found this more fun than racing an ice spider if I'm being honest, but
    I see how I could be in the minority on that opinion. ;)

Side question: Why do some toons seem to be held longer at the start than others?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, if you have no opponent the Snowmen will attack. I think the hold may be related to the opponent you have. Surprisingly, I have found the big Breen guy is the fastest for some reason.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captmack68captmack68 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yes, if you have no opponent the Snowmen will attack. I think the hold may be related to the opponent you have. Surprisingly, I have found the big Breen guy is the fastest for some reason.

Because he cheats and holds you at the start :smile:
    But seriously, on the Hold issue, I noticed it more with a Female Ferasan (It was always the Big Breen, too.)
    It was noticeable enough that I went over equipment to see if she was missing something the male toons weren't or they had something passively reducing hold time, etc.
  • galman1galman1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Just a end of event followup. In terms of what causes this, I do not see any pattern. I go up to the race starter, I move onto the course via Q transporter fx and then there is or isn't a racer there. Why I get held after they get to go, I didn't observe anything out of the ordinary, other than 1 racer, I called a long hair racer (animal) he and the glass spider seem to cause this hold most often but not always. So from a bug standpoint, I have no way to recreate it since I don't know what caused it nor what causes the hold at the start line. Since I just did the same thing for 25 days I never noticed what was going on around me other than that big message about the fekhlr monster giving the score with a button to push called Very Impressive.