test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plasma ground weapon secondary attack confusion.

koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
I'm confused as to how ground weapons scale, at least when it comes to secondary attacks on plasma-based weapons. The Plasma Wide Beam Rifle has a wider arc of attack than a split beam and can hit up to five targets, whereas the Split Beam Rifles have a narrower target area and can only hit up to 3 targets. Why is it that the weapon that should be more powerful, on account of a narrower focus and a limitation of 2 less targets, is doing significantly LESS exploit damage than the arguably more versatile and seemingly op of the two? Surely a Split Beam secondary attack should be hitting *harder* than the Wide Beam, even with the negligible benefit of the disruptor proc? That's already, "paid for" in the loss of one less modifier, as [Proc] can't be re-engineered, in this case costing me 20% [Crtd] on a weapon that would only be switched to upon Exposing enemies.

splitbeam.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    edited December 2018
    The split beam can engage up to 3 targets whereas the wide beam just fires a cone that can hit up to 5 in that blast radius.

Think of it this way...
    A Split Beam Rifle is like the old Super Soaker XP85.
    a378f1350b162f0686cf19b95fa059e5.jpg
    Three barrels that can adjust to fire in three directions at the same time.
    il_170x135.1315457795_4of8.jpg?version=0

A Wide Beam is kinda like an average cone sprinkler.
    2331022-water-cone-sheet-of-sprinkler-and-lush-green-foliage.jpg?ver=6
    Just throws up a cone of energy that can hit anything. Thus if anything is caught in the blast... it is hit. In this case up to five enemies can be hit if they just happen to be in range of the attack.

Also I believe the Wide beam is an Expose, whereas the Split Beam is an Exploit.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.