test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting visual changes from Set seemed more interesting in the past

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
Following the thread about the difficulty of getting the Gumarre DOFF I induldged in some STO nostalgia and noticed that the Assimilated Set (including the Assimilated Console) still seem the only set that really adds interesing geometries.

Most sets seem to boil down to three changes:
- Shields alter the color/material of the ship
- Deflectors add some glow
- Impulse Engines add a different impulse trail.

But the Assimilated Set and the Competitive Impulse Engines seem to be the only ones that actually add custom "hard" geometry (I figure the deflector glow is technically also geometry, just transparent).

I think they could become a bit more creative here. Instead of a glow, maybe they could add some sort of grill or cap to the deflector. A console item or shield could add some antennas or dishes. Impulse Engines could more often do something like the Competitive and Assimilated Engines do.
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    If you notice what the added bits look like, they're all the same. They just snap to specific hardpoints. So making things like a grill or cap for the deflector will be hard because some ships have really tiny ones or non existant ones (Tholian Recluse, Breen Sarr Theln).

I think they went with the material/glow route because its easier to accomidate all ships that way.

But it is interesting. I put the competitive engines on my Aeon, and they really add some mass to her. Kinda nice.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I think some of the addons actually scale in size, so if the deflector is very small in area, so could be the grill on top
    And it's not like the glowing deflector doesn't need to adjust size to the actual deflector already.

That said, I know it doesn't always work fine, there are some odd cases. I think particularly the Assimilated Console can be weird.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Doesn't really seem that thematic to me. The Borg were known for.. 'mutating'.. the shape of vessels to suit their needs. I can't really think of anything else that would be analogous among other factions.

Perhaps an Iconian set adding disconnected 'shards' floating around the nacelles or a fleshy Undine set that adds organic spines/pylons protruding out of the hull? (Or a mirror universe set that just straps guns to everything.. because bussards can be weapons if you strap enough cannons to them.)
    What do glowing deflectors represent thematically, though? It's not like every faction uses glowing deflectors.

The idea is that the set items give your ship new abilities. It makes sense that some of these features might be visible from the outside, be it because your deflector uses an additional set of exotic particles. Or your deflector might get a grill to provide additional protection for the deflector. Your improved shield emitter has additional emitter arrays scattered across the surface.

• bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    And the Reman shield visuals? Don't get much more of a dramatic change in appearance from any other shield in the game.

Also the Lukari, the Breen and the Jem-H. The older rep/mission pieces seemed to make a much bigger change than newer shields, that's ferr shure.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Perhaps an Iconian set adding disconnected 'shards' floating around the nacelles or a fleshy Undine set that adds organic spines/pylons protruding out of the hull? (Or a mirror universe set that just straps guns to everything.. because bussards can be weapons if you strap enough cannons to them.)
    Sounds interesting.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yeah - wish they would expand on this. I love the competetive engine visual! Not a fan of the assimilated stuff though.

Assimilated is a bit too much, and if they'd remake them, they'd probably have higher quality overall. I mean, they predate even the Tier 2 Nova Rhode Island Refit model, and you know how awful that looks compared to current ship models...
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah - wish they would expand on this. I love the competetive engine visual! Not a fan of the assimilated stuff though.
    Assimilated is a bit too much, and if they'd remake them, they'd probably have higher quality overall. I mean, they predate even the Tier 2 Nova Rhode Island Refit model, and you know how awful that looks compared to current ship models...
    Assimilated visuals are my favorites in the entire game :p
    d83rd6y-ec4bc75b-122b-42fd-8619-a58f01bd9ca3.png
    d8808x5-4b274dd7-019a-4153-9cc7-00b512169f1b.png
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Assimilated visuals are my favorites in the entire game :p
    d83rd6y-ec4bc75b-122b-42fd-8619-a58f01bd9ca3.png
    d8808x5-4b274dd7-019a-4153-9cc7-00b512169f1b.png

Would love to see what the Borg deflector looks like on the front of a BoP or the Marquis Raider :D
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • noemiecarnesirnoemiecarnesir Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Excellent idea for the subject and bellow posts.

We can imagine some other 3D elements, like :

-Fek'Ihri (Some well of fire)
    -Dominion (Lay of purple blindage)
    -Risian (Wide view bay)
    -Risian2 (solar sails)
    -Hu'rk (Organic spin)
    -Starfleet (warp pods added)
    -KDF (Head/deflector of war bird)
    -Romulan (wings)
    -Tholian (Small elements linked with Tholian web)
    -Voth (spheric turret like in the queued but smaller)
    -etc ^-^
This discussion has been closed.