What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Voyager, the show that could of been

2»

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I'm honestly not so sure. A larger ship like a Galaxy class maybe, but an Intrepid is only around the size range of a refit Connie, and they were dealing with replicator RATIONS to conserve power, which was the main reason we saw a full on kitchen in use quite a bit.

Honestly there's a lot of long term plot holes in Voyager.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The best Voyager I remember wasn't on TV. It was a video game: Elite Force. Encountering new species, exploring abandoned ships, beaming onto wrecked ships to try to make use of them, and the only support you could usually rely on were your teammates. It's still one of my favorite games and it managed to be both good Star Trek and a decent FPS, which is hard.

By far and large I agree, the game had a nice feel to it. Although they really overdid the zerging. Those melee only aliens that later become friends ("No, you totally didn't kill a million of us, we all went to sleep!") and those bugs were just too much. The robots and humanoid enemies though were good opponents.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The best Voyager I remember wasn't on TV. It was a video game: Elite Force. Encountering new species, exploring abandoned ships, beaming onto wrecked ships to try to make use of them, and the only support you could usually rely on were your teammates. It's still one of my favorite games and it managed to be both good Star Trek and a decent FPS, which is hard.

By far and large I agree, the game had a nice feel to it. Although they really overdid the zerging. Those melee only aliens that later become friends ("No, you totally didn't kill a million of us, we all went to sleep!") and those bugs were just too much. The robots and humanoid enemies though were good opponents.​​

Actually, I liked that section, it had a very "Star Trek" feel to it. But you're right, the way the ethereans weren't really killed was kind of silly. Though to be fair, the writers did telegraph that twist when they showed us our team-members in suspended animation.
  • Options
    The main thing EF1 was missing was a shotgun style weapon. Unless the Stasis weapon was supposed to be a shotgun...
    And frankly when you think Assault Rifle you think something along the lines of an M-16, kinda like how the Enhanced Compression Rifle functioned in EF2. Not a Shotgun.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Wow. I rag on DSC and I get read the riot act. I point out my issues with Voyager, and those same people nod and go "what might of been". What a strange world I live in. But love the discussion.
    REQUEST GRANTED!
    talonxv wrote: »
    Well since I am flatly done beating the DSC horse, let's talk about another series where I think the Star Trek team really didn't take a show to its full potential. Voyager.

So many missed opportunities. Honestly I saw a YouTube video that summed up my issues nicely with Voyager. It was TNG light with a premise that could of been so much more.

IMHO Voyager should of had a lot more like Year of Hell or the Equinox 2 parter. More principals vs survival.
    Disagree. They had plenty of "OMG we're all gonna die!" eps... But it had a wide variety of types of threats, not just threats where the ship gets shot to bits a piece at a time.
    Issues I have with the show.

1. How in the name of hell does that crew keep the Voyager looking like she just left spacedock? I mean by year 7, Voyager should look as Beat up as Enterprise did after fighting the Reliant. I mean Torres should be tearing her hair out just keeping that ship together.
    One thing often forgotten is that it's explicitly started in several episodes, that Voyager often spent months travelling through regions that were either sparsely populated or populated by non-warp races.

2. Janeway was never really pushed to the limit except for Year of Hell, then got the reset button hit. In Fact someone said it best. Easy to have that moral high ground when your belly is full, and your ship is in great working order.
    Enh, it'd get boring fast if every episode was that dramatic. I think the most tense was actually when Janeway had to deal with that race that hated telepaths.

3. 7 of 9. I swear every time she learned a lesson, next day, info dump and reset button is hit and she gains nothing from the experience. Would of been fun to really see her adapt to being a human.
    Life is complicated and social interactions most of all.

4. Criminal under use of Harry Kim. And the guy SHOULD OF BEEN PROMOTED. Tuvok was. Same with Chakotay.
    I dunno, maybe, maybe not. Did he actually earn it? hard to say for sure.

5. Also massive under usage of Equinox. Could of done so much more with the ship. Just give Torres 2 weeks and plenty of resources. Ship would be better than new. /sarcasm
    The Equinox plot was interesting because of the "path not taken" aspect, but the story of the Equinox was functionally over. That's a good example of a plot thread that wasn't left dangling.

All and all, Voyager needed some real quandaries, struggle and hardship.

My 2 cents.
    It had them LOTS of them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    dariuskoronikovdariuskoronikov Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I agree that Voyager shouldn't look pristine, also the whole idea of 2 crews being at conflict as a start point was interesting but considering the Maquis were more or less made for Voyager (though were better used in DS9), well apart from the fact they rarely explored that I have to ask how many bloody Maquis were on that ship, it looked like a ship just larger than a runabout, and surely the Maquis wouldn't have crammed everyone on a ship for a mission, surely Chakotay, Torres, Tuvok..and say either Ayala or Seska onboard but no more.

Imagine if it had been..say a Romulan crew for example, 2 different uniforms (apparently origionally the Maquis were to retain their civilian clothes but it was nixed during the pilot) two different cultures, having to work together.

regardless of Wangs attitude..keeping the character ensign was silly..as was demoting and then promoting Paris, promoting Tuvok..yet Kim..nothing

Imagine if Seska hadn't went bad but had to reveal her cardassian nature due to a health issue..how that would affect people..especially the Maquis..Tuvok while a spy too was federation, and not the ones they were directly fighting against but Seska is the race of the people they were openly fighting

the Equinox shoulda been more than a 2 parter (and tbh it looked like what voyager shoulda looked like at that point)

The EMH issue was a bug bearer, Paric moans about there being no backup when the doc is in the alpha quadrant, even though they establish in the series a backup module, and the fact they created Crel Mosset (why not simply call up a program of a famous doctor, McCoy, Crusher or Pulalski to heal) or even better don't delete the Equinox EMH..deactivate and reset as a backup...

so much else I could say
  • Options
    First off.. the Equinox EMH had its ethical subroutines DELETED. So unless you plan on copying The Doctor's over... just kinda pointless. Second... they probably couldn't access holograms of other doctors like McCoy or Crusher. They most likely didn't have any data on them anyways in terms of medical knowledge and experience. Just basic personnel files data.

They could have gone a lot of ways with Voyager honestly.
  • Options
    dariuskoronikovdariuskoronikov Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    TBH..why do they assume delete ethical subroutines makes them evil..I mean I can understand the Equinox Doctor going along with things after his were deleted after all that happened..but the Voyager one was told to operate on not just a crewmate but his secret crush...and hes just ..Oh..sure..surely instead he'd be more likely to kill others to keep her safe or something..I mean its not programmed that he has to obey Ransom..is it?..they realy over somplified that whole bit..and..well they did reinstate the docs ethical stuff..why not both docs....would save them relying on Paris who at best is an amatuer (and surely someone else has done the course he has done )
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    First off.. the Equinox EMH had its ethical subroutines DELETED. So unless you plan on copying The Doctor's over... just kinda pointless. Second... they probably couldn't access holograms of other doctors like McCoy or Crusher. They most likely didn't have any data on them anyways in terms of medical knowledge and experience. Just basic personnel files data.

They could have gone a lot of ways with Voyager honestly.
    In one episode they attempt to recreate the EMH and can't figure out how to make it work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Well they had medical databases, the problem was that they couldn't figure out how the Doctor inter-acted with them. His program was seemingly smaller than the medical database, thus didn't actually contain all the information in the database.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    TBH..why do they assume delete ethical subroutines makes them evil..I mean I can understand the Equinox Doctor going along with things after his were deleted after all that happened..but the Voyager one was told to operate on not just a crewmate but his secret crush...and hes just ..Oh..sure..surely instead he'd be more likely to kill others to keep her safe or something..I mean its not programmed that he has to obey Ransom..is it?..they realy over somplified that whole bit..and..well they did reinstate the docs ethical stuff..why not both docs....would save them relying on Paris who at best is an amatuer (and surely someone else has done the course he has done )

I figure deleting ethical subroutines would make the Equinox's EMH sociopathic instead of evil. So he would think that there is nothing wrong with killing aliens for fuel. There has to be a reason for a sociopath to commit an evil act while there doesn't need to be a reason for a psychopath to commit an evil act or the difference between Lex Luthor and the Joker.
    Post edited by starkaos on
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Should've kept Kes and watched her die of old age. ;)