Options

TRIBBLE MAINTENANCE AND RELEASE NOTES - 10/30/18

2»

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    pfft2 wrote: »

The hurq beacon absolutely annihilates several extremely popular queues. Saying, "oh but in Argala I managed to make it suck" doesn't address the problem, which is wildly disproportionate to the swarmers' importance. To the extent that hurq beacon has any right to exist at all, it's as a tiny and perhaps thematically pleasing supplement to any ship's performance - the gameplay equivalent of flavor text, a piece of memorabilia from the VIL story arc. The devs could cut the thing's damage by 99% tomorrow and the only people who would even likely notice are those who are heavily leaning on its broken performance.

I managed to "make it suck" by eliminating a lot extraneous variables and doing a direct comparison with Delta beacon under separate but directly comparable circumstances (more representative of the style of most of the game's combat. Ie. not attacking a single spongey gate.) If their ~base damage is at least within the same order of magnitude then how are you ruining queues with this? How is its DPS amplifying so horrendously (and why isn't Delta beacon so severely affected?)

If this is overperforming by orders of magnitude now then from what I'm seeing there could be a bug affecting its performance (perhaps dealing with one or more buff interactions and Hur'Q swarmers specificallly, I can't test that ATM because I'm not able to repro apocalyptic Hur'Q with my build.) Nerfing base damage more would not seem to be an appropriate response yet.

(I'm curious now what's up with the beacon and current meta.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2018

The hurq beacon absolutely annihilates several extremely popular queues. Saying, "oh but in Argala I managed to make it suck" doesn't address the problem, which is wildly disproportionate to the swarmers' importance. To the extent that hurq beacon has any right to exist at all, it's as a tiny and perhaps thematically pleasing supplement to any ship's performance - the gameplay equivalent of flavor text, a piece of memorabilia from the VIL story arc. The devs could cut the thing's damage by 99% tomorrow and the only people who would even likely notice are those who are heavily leaning on its broken performance.

I managed to "make it suck" by eliminating a lot extraneous variables and doing a direct comparison with Delta beacon under separate but directly comparable circumstances (representative of the style of most of the game's combat. Ie. not attacking a single gate.) If they're at least within the same order of magnitude then how are you ruining queues with this? How is its base damage amplifying so horrendously (and why isn't Delta beacon so severely affected?)

If this is overperforming by orders of magnitude now then from what I'm seeing there could be a bug affecting its performance (perhaps dealing with one or more buff interactions.) Nerfing base damage more would not seem to be an appropriate response.

The pets are clearly bugged. How they're bugged may be up for debate, but after a certain point (like, the day after the bug was discovered, TBH), no one should care. The "appropriate response" is triage - to eliminate the obvious problem, then worry about any obscure interactions that may have larger-scale consequences. The beacon is broken to an embarrassingly large degree - so much so that the two DPS leagues almost immediately suspended parse uploads, and then (later), patched their parsers either to ignore swarmer damage entirely, or to bar logs including them. Seriously, the devs should be embarrassed that this issue wasn't hotfixed on day two.

Do you think DPSers might know what they're talking about, just a bit? Because it honestly seems like you believe no one's had any experience with this issue, as if we're all just talking based on one or two extreme examples and no one's given it any thought in the last four months until you came along.

How many popular queues would the hurq beacon have to trivialize before you'd say, hey, this novelty item doesn't merit endless balance passes? One, three, five?

Try it in ISA. See what happens.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The pets are clearly bugged. How they're bugged may be up for debate, but after a certain point (like, the day after the bug was discovered, TBH), no one should care. The "appropriate response" is triage - to eliminate the obvious problem, then worry about any obscure interactions that may have larger-scale consequences. The beacon is broken to an embarrassingly large degree - so much so that the two DPS leagues almost immediately suspended parse uploads, and then (later), patched their parsers either to ignore swarmer damage entirely, or to bar logs including them. Seriously, the devs should be embarrassed that this issue wasn't hotfixed on day two.

Do you think DPSers might know what they're talking about, just a bit? Because it honestly seems like you believe no one's had any experience with this issue, as if we're all just talking based on one or two extreme examples and no one's given it any thought in the last four months until you came along.

How many popular queues would the hurq beacon have to trivialize before you'd say, hey, this novelty item doesn't merit endless balance passes? One, three, five?

Try it in ISA. See what happens.

I do think that DPSers know what they're doing (in their specific terms) but I do have to respect the data I'm seeing too (bad science to throw it out per peer pressure.) Base damage on Hur'Q swarmers seems roughly okay. With better timing I think I could get the damage per use higher than Delta beacon (so, 30% debuff still seems justified) but it appears I need one or more other buffs to amplify the damage to ridiculous proportions (which somehow doesn't affect Delta in the same way.)

If I can't solve that problem with equipment above the level of the standard player (6 years invested, lock box and lobi ships with upgraded non-standard gear) and the most you can say is "its up for debate," then has the issue been thoroughly investigated in player side reporting? All anyone with super-Hur'Q needs to do is remove pet/team buffs one at a time (in solo content, lot less complication) until there's a drop in DPS of greater magnitude than the buff in question. Once that happens, you know you have at least one part of the problem (and the chances of a proper fix increase.) If it's a gradual decline all the way through, then Hur'Q damage scaling could be the problem or an interaction involving more than one player (different investigations).

Again, this isn't to minimize the problem monster Hur'Q can pose for the endgame (if you guys are still seeing monster H'urQ, I assume so.) Just trying to work out what's going on per discussion (didn't think it was just the base damage which the patch is addressing, more confident of that now.)

Edit. just tried infected normal, public TFO. I had to finish off the transformer I deployed the Hur'Q on myself. They didn't get through it (some big damage spikes though against a preceding sphere, team buffs were in play. This is why I used solo patrols for testing base mechanics, can't easily account for momentary buffs/synergy that I didn't activate.) Biggest discrepancy I saw was that Hur'Q locked onto Borg a lot faster than Kazon (in roughly similar density), travel time wasn't a significant factor and there was almost instantaneous retargeting. This could just be "I happened to deploy them in an ideal position", would need to test further to see if there's an odd effect with AI behavior (and potentially one contributing reason why it's so bad for STF's, when insanely powerful Hur'Q do occur they might zap Borg most freely. [easy to work their way to the rear arc, all units find a firing position])
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Wow! A lot of fixes on Tribble. Thanks, Cryptic. Will be glad when your 18 or so positions are finally filled. Then, it won't necessarily be crazy with only one animator on the team so far.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Quick note for those of you who were wondering, and missed Bort on Reddit, the update to Rep UI on Tribble is only half of it. The change was made to make room for the "Fill All" button we'll be adding soon, to make all of your lives a lot easier. The individual donation buttons are smaller because, frankly, you'll use them less.

This change shouldn't go live to Holodeck until ALL of it is ready.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

But I don't see that. Hur'Q swarmers do good damage but I've never found them to outperform my own ships (~50k). In heated combat they also don't tend to survive for very long either (try Counterpoint.) They are good but even now there's times when it's better to deploy delta for holding more fire and deploying accessory abilities. Maybe you should look into the gateway example a bit more and try comparing that to other kinds of large targets (are resistances working as they should for ex and are the swarmers drawing any threat?)

There are people literally doubling or even tripling their DPS highs in ISA just by popping Hive Defenses alone. It's so bad that ISA parses submitted to the DPS league using Hive Defenses are immediately disqualified. The trait is very obviously over performing and frankly, you're so far out of your depth in this discussion that it's embarrassing. Not like we're making this stuff up, it's documented, proven, and acknowledged by the development staff. You had no idea what we were talking about, defended your stance anyway and now you're trying to make it sound like you understand.

So before you tell someone that 'Context is for Kings,' make sure you have even the slightest idea what you're talking about.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

So before you tell someone that 'Context is for Kings,' make sure you have even the slightest idea what you're talking about.

I'll just let you play catch up with the rest of the thread, I wasn't seeing super-swarmers with my build because it appears the problem isn't with their base damage but buff interactions or scaling (involving something that I'm not using). I wasn't able to repro massive damage solo, in direct tests (eliminating extraneous variables, as you would do when trying to identify the root of problem) Hur'Q beacon was within the same relative order of magnitude as Delta (100-200k total damage per cycle, no player buffs) . Even the use of captain powers didn't bump the figures up to the point where swarmers were overshadowing player damage or the delta beacon (or even close). I ran a few more tests last night and saw that happen once in ISA (swarmers bumped up to ~0.45 of my total damage output (versus 0.13), 3.75x that of Delta's damage in comparable tests), team was a good one and team buffs were in play. Somewhere in that mix might be the problem. I don't know because that doesn't happen for me consistently.

Edit: when running the endeavor yesterday I tried alpha striking (APA, GDF, TF, Domino) with Hur'Q against Tzenkethi to see if I could replicate the success Alcaatraz had during the RA with the closest comparison I can manage, my build with his fresh Jem'Hadar. No luck.

Ergo, the post you quoted. If you guys had a comprehensive handle on this you could have said right out of the gate that I'm just running a lower DPS build which isn't able to take full advantage of Hur'Q swarmers (they get to be much more of a problem at the top end). Without needing to know the exact cause, that explains why I'm not seeing the same results the DPS community is and why for me Delta v. Hur'Q beacons is more a matter of tradeoffs (H'urQ can do more damage to single targets but Delta for me is more consistent.) One post, mattered settled, moving on. Instead, folks opted for hostility (perhaps bleeding over from frustration with swarmers.) This may be a huge problem for some players (because of how they're using buffs or how they're building) but the rest of the population isn't necessarily affected in the same way (something that would explain the mere 30% damage debuff in this patch note.) It seems bugged and in a way that has catastrophic implications for the current meta (which not everyone plays by.)
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    > @ambassadorkael#6946 said:
    > Quick note for those of you who were wondering, and missed Bort on Reddit, the update to Rep UI on Tribble is only half of it. The change was made to make room for the "Fill All" button we'll be adding soon, to make all of your lives a lot easier. The individual donation buttons are smaller because, frankly, you'll use them less.
    >
    > This change shouldn't go live to Holodeck until ALL of it is ready.

Thank goodness! I had to change the UI from 1.00 to 1.05 so I could use the "+" button easier. LOL !

++++++++++++++++++++++++

P.S. I quit reading Reddit...way too much stuff to digest, mostly dribble and click bait, wastes too much time. I still search through STO Builds Reddit once in a blue moon, if I am wondering about something.

I have stopped Facebook except for a quick glance through once or twice a day, and dislike Twitter, so never use it.

It would be nice if you could write up a synop of the weekly "Ten Forward" broadcast and stick it up here...because everything I get comes from the STO Forums.

Frankly, I would much rather spend my time IN THE GAME....than try to catch up on STO via reading social media and watching TV shows. So, please consider consolidating the information to STO Forums?
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    It would be nice if you could write up a synop of the weekly "Ten Forward" broadcast and stick it up here...because everything I get comes from the STO Forums.

It's would probably be a little too much work for them to write up a transcript after the fact (Kael would need to sit through the multi-hour broadcast and take notes.) But that's not to say it can't be made a community effort. ;)

Last week I tried to write up the highlights to Andre's interview in the roadmap thread. Since I am modding those streams I could just start posting that in general (or just contribute if someone else wants to take this up.) But I don't want to do too much to remove a reason for watching the streams (just provide a community backup.)
  • Options
    edited November 2018

It's would probably be a little too much work for them to write up a transcript after the fact (Kael would need to sit through the multi-hour broadcast and take notes.) But that's not to say it can't be made a community effort. ;)

There should be a topics outline, and an approximate timeline to follow, a list of questions to get to during an interview that Kael follows along with during the program. That is all that is needed.

If I see something on the outline that looks interesting...I will fast forward through show to get there. I don't even see a link to the archives when they stick the latest show up on You Tube or Twitch...or where ever the hell the put it.

A huge draw to streaming TV and Podcasts etc...on the internet IS the ability to come back to it later. Kael is focusing on getting people to watch it Live, in advance...NOT on people who watch when they can.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November 2018

There should be a topics outline, and an approximate timeline to follow, a list of questions to get to during an interview that Kael follows along with during the program. That is all that is needed.

If I see something on the outline that looks interesting...I will fast forward through show to get there. I don't even see a link to the archives when they stick the latest show up on You Tube or Twitch...or where ever the hell the put it.

A huge draw to streaming TV and Podcasts etc...on the internet IS the ability to come back to it later. Kael is focusing on getting people to watch it Live, in advance...NOT on people who watch when they can.

I'll see what I can do but I can't promise that I'll be able to mark down all the questions that come up. A lot of the QA with kael is quick fire (lot of note taking, also have to watch chat for moderation). ;)
  • Options
    tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Quick note for those of you who were wondering, and missed Bort on Reddit, the update to Rep UI on Tribble is only half of it. The change was made to make room for the "Fill All" button we'll be adding soon, to make all of your lives a lot easier. The individual donation buttons are smaller because, frankly, you'll use them less.

Thank you, I was about to post this :)
    attachment.php?aid=2635
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I'll see what I can do but I can't promise that I'll be able to mark down all the questions that come up. A lot of the QA with kael is quick fire (lot of note taking, also have to watch chat for moderation). ;)

No...don't be ridiculous. Kael should already HAVE an overview done prior to....as part of the prep to....creating the show. He couldn't be producing this stuff out of thin air. LOL!

It is not a synopsis of the entire show one would write up after the fact. LOL!

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User

Thank you, I was about to post this :)
    attachment.php?aid=2635

I would prefer a combination of the first one on the top and the fill all button on the bottom one and not the second one, it is too small and confusing. Thanks.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Still seeing my Skill Tree go invalid after completing a "Claim T6 Reputation" project.

BEFORE Claiming T6 Rep : https://i.imgur.com/2mXmiBK.jpg
    AFTER Claiming T6 Rep Project : https://i.imgur.com/AKmxipZ.jpg

It does not matter if it is on a Federation, Klingon or Romulan character. It does not matter which one of the 12 Reputations I complete the project on. This happens every time. ????? I don't know why?

EUREKA!!! Thanks to @dangp1 It is the Rank 2 upgrade to the traits that is not working.

I checked the Traits on the Ferengi character on Tribble...that was the one I was having troubles with.
    I had completed the Delta Alliance to T6 on her...got the Invalid Skill tree and then stopped looking.

On Delta Alliance two traits get an upgrade with T6 = Armor Penetration, Physical Conditioning
    Both are slotted as Active on the Ferengi.

Checking Traits.....Rank 1 Traits were stuck in Active.
    I could not remove them because ONLY THE RANK 2 shows up in the Available Traits listing. So no check marks for the Rank 1.

The program did NOT REPLACE the Rank 1 if they are ACTIVE.
    This causes Skill Tree invalid. ????

https://i.imgur.com/Vu8sDWw.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/UtQvdV1.jpg

Only odd ball thing is: I would level up GAMMA Reputation from Zero and I would STILL get Skill Invalid...and I wasn't even using it yet. So...what the heck???

Two different problems????

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Next: Switched characters, the Ferengi, is already messed up, anyways.

Went to a Klingon character who shows a good tree. I removed all Reputation Traits....currently only have Ground, anyways...since I don't use Reputation Space traits at all.

I will be leveling up Gamma Reputation from zero. It is a Reputation am I not using.

Notes:
    Start: all Reputation Traits cleared from Active slots. Skill tree is filled and fine.
    T1 Gamma rep claimed...added Strength of Body and Strength of Mind
    T2 Gamma rep claimed...added Hardened Sensors and Enhanced Sensors

PROBLEM: no indication on the Icons if a trait in rep is Space or Ground, only Gamma emblem.
    It is only a PITA for me because I am double checking in the Traits available listing while doing this.

T3 Gamma rep claimed...added Magnified Armaments and Strengthened Personal Shielding
    T4 Gamma rep claimed...added Magnified Fire Power and Strengthened Shielding
    T5 Gamma rep claimed...added One Little Ship

All the traits (Rank 1) unlocked by Gamma T1-T5 are in the "Traits Available" listing. Nothing automatically switched into Active mode. Skill tree is still OK.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Just got to 250,000 Gamma Rep points, and ready to run that Claim T6 Rep project.

I decided to slot all Rank 1 Gamma Rep TRAITS into Active slots, because that is the only way I can see if those traits upgrade to Rank 2. Or if they get stuck.

T6 Gamma rep claimed.... Skill Tree = Invalid, Available list = Gamma Traits all Rank 2, Active slots = Gamma Traits Rank 1.

In an attempt to make sure it is not a refresh screen issue: I just went up to Space map...no change. Went to System space...no change. Logged off program....no change. Logged off server...no change.

I still have Gamma Traits Rank 1 in Active slots on my character...even as the character only has Rank 2 available to use.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have read one can "drag" the Rank 2 traits into the Active slots....so I will try this.
    I am going to bump the Rank 1 out of there. One for one.

Visually, in the Active Rep Trait slots, I can see all Traits are at Rank 2.
    Fastest way was to verify One Little Ship in powers list, see pic:

https://i.imgur.com/r0t22oq.jpg

So this is working.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since the Traits appear to be cleared up....what happens with the Skill Tree when I do a respec?

Retrain does NOT clear the invalid on the Skill Tree. Even though everything on Player side looks pee-chee-king.

I still see the notification that the Respec was successful...but it does not clear the Invalid on the Skill Tree. It does remove all Personal Space and Ground traits.

I manually cleared all traits (zero active traits)....Retrain still does not clear the Invalid on the Skill Tree, even though I get a notification that the Respec was successful.

So, the program is still seeing a problem somewhere.
    I suspect it has something to do with those Rank 1 Traits.

One more thing to try.... According to dangp1....he was able to clear invalid skill tree, once he finished T6 on ALL 12 reputations.

I will move my testing over to the Romulan character.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I am starting in on another character and leveling the Reputations on her today.

Objective is to verify that completion of all 12 reputations will allow a Retrain to clear the invalid status on the Skill Tree.

While I am leveling up Reputations, I will be checking to see if Claiming T6 on any Reputation will upgrade Rank 1 abilities to Rank 2.

I will see you all in a couple of days...hopefully. LOL!

++++++++++++++++++++++

OK...it did not take me a couple of days on Tribble. Thank goodness.

First: Not able to clear the invalid status on the Skill Tree after finishing all 12 Reputations on Tribble.
    Also, signed out completely from Tribble and signed back in, no change. Skill Tree remains invalid.

Note: Skill tree would go to invalid upon completion of the first Rep to T6, does not matter which one.

In an attempt to clear this invalid state:
    Retrain button was clicked after each of the 12 Reputations were leveled to T6.
    Retrain button was clicked after Rank 1 Traits were manually replaced with Rank 2 Traits.
    Retrain button was clicked after all Traits were removed.

Indication that it is NOT an issue of Rank 1 traits being active, but for some reason the program is not deactivating, dismissing, decommissioning, ignoring (whatever word programmers use) Rank 1 when it goes to Rank 2.

+++++++++++++

Traits updating from Rank 1 to Rank 2....is very strange.

With all Reputation Traits removed....all slots empty of traits....nothing in there, blank.
    I would see the Skill Tree go to invalid with no indication of what was wrong.
    At least, from what I can see on the player side of the program. So, this was no good.

When I had traits in the active reputation slots, I could see the Rank 1 would not be removed from active. Nor would Rank 1 traits be automatically replaced with Rank 2 after T6 was claimed. The only place where Rank 1 would be automatically replaced with Rank 2 was in the rep UI "Available Traits" list.

Before and After pictures:

Undine Rep Traits: https://i.imgur.com/pCwhpdS.jpg
    Temporal Rep Traits: https://i.imgur.com/Y4lsPiE.jpg

I went through all 12 reputations this way: set up the active trait slots with the nine traits associated to that reputation. And looked at what happened to the Skill Tree and Traits as I claimed T6 Rep. Rearranged for the next rep.

For all 12 Reputations after T6 was claimed:

Rank 1 stayed in Active Traits list. Also, if it has a clickie button, Rank 1 stays in the Powers list (default P key), and Power Tray (only looked at the ground ones, since I was on Drozana).

Rank 1 traits were replaced with Rank 2 traits in the "Available Traits" listing. All correct Rank 2 traits were in the listing.

Rank 1 traits became "stuck" as there was no longer had a check mark box in the "Available Traits" listing. Rank 1 in active slots could be removed by dragging a different trait over top of it.

When Rank 2 traits were selected as the Active Trait (tested by dragging the Rank 2 over the same Rank 1 trait to knock it out of there) Rank 2 stayed. Rank 1 no longer visible anywhere. Also, the clicky button took the place on the Powers list (default P key) and Power tray...and it was the proper Rank 2 trait.