test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R&D Component Failure

captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
edited October 2018 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Getting a "Failed to Start Component" Message when in the process of making R&D Components when the slider is moved to 5, also seems like there is a limit as I am using other characters to try to make components. Moving the slider to 3 seems to also work but in a limited quantity. No problems so far just making one component.

Comments

• Options
    chrian#9670 chrian Member Posts: 622 Cryptic Developer
    Hello @captyoung01 , Which particular one(s) are giving that error message to you?
  • Options
    Hello @captyoung01 , Which particular one(s) are giving that error message to you?
    So far Beam > Firing Sequencer and Power Surge Regulators are the Problem, I have not yet tried any other components, but these two I am in need of making. Thanks.
  • Options
    chrian#9670 chrian Member Posts: 622 Cryptic Developer
    Hello @captyoung01 , Could you post an imgur link to an onscreen error?
  • Options

Will do. Seems like its a Bridge Bug. . . Doing fine in the mine holding. I'll get you the Image as soon as I start to get the message again. I apologize for the late response.
  • Options

???. . . Not sure what happend Chrian, I was slotting these projects up in the Mine Holding and that worked fine. Then when I tried to get you a Photo of the "Failed to start" Message while on my Bridge it's working fine now no problems. I am quite puzzled, tried with multiple characters works fine now too. Isolated incident maybe. Thanks for responding.
  • Options
    xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    I too am seeing this, its not limited to the bridge, I've gotten it on k7, just now on ESD, and in sector space. its not limited to any one specific component.
    for the moment however it does not appear to be affecting items, eg phasers, warp cores, eg finished products in short.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    xraiderv1 wrote: »
    I too am seeing this, its not limited to the bridge, I've gotten it on k7, just now on ESD, and in sector space. its not limited to any one specific component.
    for the moment however it does not appear to be affecting items, eg phasers, warp cores, eg finished products in short.

I am going to confirm all said here, and give a never mind on previous post, as I was trying make some on an altnerate character it happened again.
    Post edited by captyoung01 on
  • Options

[img][/img]Failure_zpsdhlp6qwg.jpg
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I've isolated the exact cause of this problem:

Apparently, it fails when you have multiple stacks of something, and the quantity you're attempting to consume is larger than can be satisfied with the last stack, even though there are plenty of other stacks.

Test case: Attempted to manufacture one 5-pack of Omega Farticles with a single stack of 15 that I first split in half.
    Result: Failure to launch assignment.

Change: Combine both stacks into a single stack of 15.
    Result: Now works, even though the actual quantity hasn't changed.

Variations in what is being manufactured don't change the outcome: If the last stack of something is not sufficient to fill the request, even if there are other stacks, the request will barf.

Okay I am now Dumb Founded. . .

So instead of using all 6 slots, I should use 3 instead?

Alittle Confused on the Combine part. . .
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    The program is grabbing materials used for a project from ONE STACK in the inventory, all at once.
    It will not roll over and collect materials needed for a project from a second stack or third stack or forth stack if it runs short. It will just tell you: it failed.

So, he is saying: combine all the short stacks together so the project sees enough materials it needs to start the project.

This is the actual bug...not sure why the program is not collecting from another stack of the same materials if it is available in the inventory.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    where2r1 wrote: »
    The program is grabbing materials used for a project from ONE STACK in the inventory, all at once.
    It will not roll over and collect materials needed for a project from a second stack or third stack or forth stack if it runs short. It will just tell you: it failed.

So, he is saying: combine all the short stacks together so the project sees enough materials it needs to start the project.

This is the actual bug...not sure why the program is not collecting from another stack of the same materials if it is available in the inventory.

Makes better sense now. Thanks.