star trek lore

spy8446spy8446 Member Posts: 585 Arc User
does anyone know lore wise, what ships came after the NX enterprise but pre TOS
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    spy8446 wrote: »
    does anyone know lore wise, what ships came after the NX enterprise but pre TOS
    You mean ship classes or actual ships? as we're looking at probably thousands of ships pre-TOS but ship classes are a shorter list.

The Walker, the Constitution (came out in 2240s, TOS is in 2260s), the Daedalus (possibly), The Crossfield at least as far as prime verse ship classes go.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,052 Community Moderator
    Daedalus is post Enterprise and Pre TOS. Although depending on your source, th Daedalus could be late Enterprise, say during the Earth-Romulan War. Daedalus class ships made an appearance in the Enterprise era in Star Trek Legacy. While not playable without mods, she didn't look too bad in Enterprise era asthetics.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Daedalus is post Enterprise and Pre TOS. Although depending on your source, th Daedalus could be late Enterprise, say during the Earth-Romulan War. Daedalus class ships made an appearance in the Enterprise era in Star Trek Legacy. While not playable without mods, she didn't look too bad in Enterprise era asthetics.
    IIRC only we know in canon about the Daedalus was that it exists (we saw a model in Sisko's office), but when it was launched is EU sources as such it could be ENT, post-ENT but pre-TOS, TOS or even early post-TOS (aka after the end of TOS but before TMP). STO says early 23c. There's 100 years more or less between the end of the of ENT (at foundation of the federation) and the start of TOS in mid 2260s.
  • Options
    more about class of ships is what I am thinking of ..... maybe 20 - 50 years? anything in that general time line for the "main" ships of the line. I guess what would have been the next iconic ships after Enterprise.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    Honestly I don't like the Daedalus design, it looks like an old milk container with a ball awkwardly positioned on the end of it.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    more about class of ships is what I am thinking of ..... maybe 20 - 50 years? anything in that general time line for the "main" ships of the line. I guess what would have been the next iconic ships after Enterprise.

What you are thinking of is essentially what people have stated above. Canonically, there's not a lot of information about ships between the NX-class of Earth, the Walker class of Discovery, the Daedalus class featured in TOS and the time of the Constitution Class.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    nothing lore wise eh? well thanks any ways.
  • Options
    nothing lore wise eh? well thanks any ways.
    Well it's probably because of that nothing that would raise a ship to that "iconic" status happened, since in-universe starfleet is not gonna build a starship to be "the next iconic ship design", they build them for a purpose.

Lets take the Consitution-class for example, the USS Constitution (NX/NCC-1700?) was built to be a deep space Explorer/heavy cruiser, but the class gained an iconic status (both in and out universe) due to the actions of the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701).

As far as we know the period of 2160-2254 was Federation consolidating its power after the Earth-Romulan war (that lead to founding of the UFP) and low scale exploration and diplomacy, nothing that would really put a single ship design into the spotlight.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,052 Community Moderator
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Honestly I don't like the Daedalus design, it looks like an old milk container with a ball awkwardly positioned on the end of it.

I call mine the "Tin Can with a Golf Ball".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I like the Daedelous. Honestly, there are many other ships with worse aesthetics out there, and I don't really dislike any of them all that much.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Honestly... this Daedelus is better. B)
    latest?cb=20130615182803
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    Antares-type aka USS Antares, Whorfin-class aka SS Robert Fox from Generations this could be judging by the Whorfin's registry of NCC-1024, USS Kelvin from Star Trek IX, and that's about it pre-Discovery.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    If you mean pre-Constitution when you say TOS then;

Certain: Bonaventure (first ship with warp drive) and the Kelvin (2220s).

More than likely: Daedelus (but only if the Exeter is a Daedelus), Newton, Armstrong, and Mayflower (providing those three were built at the same time as the Kelvin), Walker (as it's considered 'old' by the Battle of the Binary Stars).

Possibly: The Antares, Woden, Robot Cargo Ship, and Huron freighters from TOS/TAS.

Probably not: The other DSC ships as they all share a nacelle design with the Crossfield which is a newer ship than the Conni.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,371 Arc User
    Not a lot of canon info about that period, really. Especially when some folks want to reject the new canon of Disco.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    Not a lot of canon info about that period, really. Especially when some folks want to reject the new canon of Disco.
    I think the only period less known at this point is the "Lost era" between the end of Undiscovered Country and the beginning of TNG
    Not quite - we do know the Constitution-class was supplanted by the Excelsior-class of the ENT-B, then by the Ambassador-class of the ENT-C. We also know that ENT-C was lost with all hands at the defense of Narendra III, thus cementing a peace of sorts with the Klingon Empire by proving to them that the Feddies can indeed act with honor.

Sure, that's not a lot more than the canon info about the late 22nd century, but it is more...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    The time the OP references is currently the realm of Fan Fiction and Film. There have been a lot of authors who have taken a stab at that era, but sadly CBS views fan fiction as a competitor rather than as an advertiser, and so publishing and publicizing these offerings has been discouraged.
  • Options
    CBS just doesn't want to admit that anyone else can do a better job than them :wink:
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    CBS just doesn't want to admit that anyone else can do a better job than them :wink:

Or try to make their own studio using the Star Trek IP to make money.
  • Options
    eldarion79 wrote: »

Or try to make their own studio using the Star Trek IP to make money.

Both are old arguments best left where their topics died out. This topic is about ships of an era, not about publication rights.

I would think the best soft-canon source for this era would be the ships defined as older in the FASA Star Fleet Battles game and its supplements.
  • Options
    I've always had a fondness for the Franz Joseph designs in the old Technical Manual. Pity they're noncanon.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thats the thing, there is so much that is "noncanon" but is known on some level or another.
  • Options
    A note from Roddenberry said that nacelles were always to be paired, not one or three. So naturally both were incorporated into the canon ship designs after having been rejected by the creator himself.

So canon is where you draw the line, and my line might cross a different part of the page. Hermes was a nice design, and the FASA Destroyers were cool too.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    avoozuul wrote: »

I call mine the "Tin Can with a Golf Ball".

Don't want to call it a tin cup? Okay I'll show myself out.....
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    A note from Roddenberry said that nacelles were always to be paired, not one or three. So naturally both were incorporated into the canon ship designs after having been rejected by the creator himself.

So canon is where you draw the line, and my line might cross a different part of the page. Hermes was a nice design, and the FASA Destroyers were cool too.
    It was actually the Warp Coils that needed to be paired. Apparently having two in the same nacelle works.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.