test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How about accessing higher mark versions of Specialization Kit Modules?

Right now the best version you can get of Specialization Kit Modules are Mk XII Very Rare. Any plans on making higher quality, higher mark versions? You can't even upgrade these things.
XzRTofz.gif

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I've been revamping a few builds of mine and the restriction to mk 12 is prompting me to look away from specs. There's a lot of comparable options for most builds through reps, fleet holdings, and lock boxes and with the level cap increase the distance has grown. The only remaining spec-based build I have now is temporal (and that's just for theme).

I can see where non-upgradable may have arisen in the first place (higher rarity is unlocked through spec progression). But, I don't think that whatever motivating factor it adds is worth the [apparently] low ceiling. If we're not using these in the first place then the fixed rarity scheme is a non-entity.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The entire Specialization Kit Module system is a bloody mess. You can't upgrade them because the white, green, blue, and purple Modules are made availible at different levels in the Specialization. They decided not to alter that when they added Kits and Modules School to the Upgrade system.

Bottom line: they didn't want to touch them at all then and that will probably apply to then now and in the future.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    ltminns wrote: »
    Bottom line: they didn't want to touch them at all then and that will probably apply to then now and in the future.

I'm more hopeful. Cryptic didn't touch the system then because (to paraphrase an interview from some time back) the VR XII spec modules were intended to be the top scale of their respective powers. So, while they didn't have the fanciest designations (at the time: UR XIII fleet modules) they were balanced to what they should be. Now we're at mark 15 though there's a definite gap forming and that will grow with future level cap increases (which Cryptic says they are considering) unless spec modules are re-addressed. So, circumstances have changed and action is more easily argued for than when the upgrade system was expanded to include kits.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    They're still adding new things to the upgrade system. I'd say give it time and we may have upgradable spec modules.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Some of those spec kit modules are already really powerful. Once we can upgrade them, some will be truly OP and may need a nerf.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    Problem still is the way they are made available at different quality levels at different Spec levels.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Problem still is the way they are made available at different quality levels at different Spec levels.

That would ideally change with the update to simplify progression. Ie. have a single rarity level that unlocks at an appropriate point in spec progression (similar to reputation kit modules, which don't suffer from the same scheme despite also being a part of an individual progression system.)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    They could change it so you can't USE higher quality ones I suppose. But I suspect that the real issue is the powers weren't created to scale that way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    They could change it so you can't USE higher quality ones I suppose. But I suspect that the real issue is the powers weren't created to scale that way.
    Easier to just make only the top level ones upgradeable.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Easier to just make only the top level ones upgradeable.

Sounds like a good compromise. You're still gating the best version of the abilities behind the Mk XII VR, high specialization investment.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    That would be the ideal solution; only VR Modules can be upgraded. Chances are it'd get mucked up somehow, however.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    That would be the ideal solution; only VR Modules can be upgraded. Chances are it'd get mucked up somehow, however.

I doubt it would be possible to limit upgrading like that given various issues which have arisen in the past, but I'm not a programmer, so who knows how simple it might be.

Frankly, I don't see a reason to upgrade these. They work fine for now.

I'm all for fixing stuff that's broken, but the game should allow for some equipment, weapons, and kit modules to become obsolete, like all technology, without altering their mechanics. I mean, I like the paradox bomb, and if it didn't become obsolete, I'd probably never stop using it. What is the point of a level cap increase if everything just gets upgraded anyway.

At the same time, I dislike how the introduction of new equipment has everyone run like lemmings to a new meta. There ought to be a wide variety of builds/equipment that are viable without the ongoing (and eventually nerfed) power creep.
  • Options

Frankly, I don't see a reason to upgrade these. They work fine for now.

I'm all for fixing stuff that's broken, but the game should allow for some equipment, weapons, and kit modules to become obsolete, like all technology, without altering their mechanics. I mean, I like the paradox bomb, and if it didn't become obsolete, I'd probably never stop using it. What is the point of a level cap increase if everything just gets upgraded anyway.

At the same time, I dislike how the introduction of new equipment has everyone run like lemmings to a new meta. There ought to be a wide variety of builds/equipment that are viable without the ongoing (and eventually nerfed) power creep.

I strongly disagree. What you're arguing for is a static game and fixed limits. Ie. an MMO in maintenance mode. Eventually that will come but while STO is healthy there will be major gameplay changes and "power creep" (ie. the osmosis of video game balance) as a way of creating flux in builds to spur flux in player experience. Ie. new things to entertain at a pace sufficient to replace old, well worn, and very familiar routines.

Don't care for it? Okay, but then the question comes for how exactly would you be affected by an optional upgrade system simply being made more inclusive. It wouldn't preclude further upgrade tiers or new modules. Objecting to this specific QoL improvement on your stated grounds is, quite frankly, kicking the puppy. The balance of the game certainly wouldn't change in tandem with spec module upgrading (of all things) sufficiently to make your XII paradox bomb ineffective across most content should that be made upgradable. On the other hand, it would help it gain more parity with a XV Gravitational Juncture so the choice doesn't become virtually automatic (merely through a categorical inconsistency in how the upgrade system is applied) for those who like to fine-tune their builds to a greater degree.