test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How did we go from over 30 episodes for an expansion to 6?

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    well I cant defend the number of missions in ViL anymore... great writing up until the end of this new FE then we hackfest write a bullrushed ending to the whole expansion then handwave off the ketrecel addiction on top of making everyone kumabaya singing members of the alliance.... what the hell!?!?!?!

like the opposite of the iconian war... that was 90% garbage writing and 10% awesome at the end. There was material here to keep ViL's plot going strong well through summer, but no we must bullrush everything to a contrived ending..... a really garbage contrived ending
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    the ending was anything but fine... and yes there was plenty of material to keep it going through 3-5 more episodes. Hell this particualr FE was so damned long it could(should) have been two... perhaps then the ending of it would have gotten better writing, and not just be 20min of 'go talk to these people' and 'yaaay we're all good little kumbaya singing members of the alliance now!'
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    the ending was anything but fine... and yes there was plenty of material to keep it going through 3-5 more episodes. Hell this particualr FE was so damned long it could(should) have been two... perhaps then the ending of it would have gotten better writing, and not just be 20min of 'go talk to these people' and 'yaaay we're all good little kumbaya singing members of the alliance now!'

you expected anything, and I mean ANYTHING different from this writing staff?

I actually did... they suckered me after lucky 7 I guess... so much of this expansion showed actual effort to put out quality material, I felt sucker punched by the garbage ending here... I agree I should know better, but they got me
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    frankly, the whole Discovery worship angle really just made me want to punch every Klingon that that said "T'kuvma'.

seriously. Right in the reproductive organs.

with a spiked knuckleduster. Worshiping morons who start wars and then lose them...

Who the hell is he to Klingons? I mean seriously, since when do they count Uruk-hai as part of their history?

don't forget Voq and L'Rell, also invoked by of all people Martok. (Who should maybe know better, given he wasn't a complete moron in the series.)

I couldn't remember whether they were TRIBBLE characters or not, that's why I didn't mention them. But I guess that means what, Klingons were at the battle of Helm's Deep or something? They have to know about the Uruk-hai somehow. And that so-called "Beacon of Kahless" was totally ripped off from the beacons used between Gondor and Rohan, so I suppose it all makes sense in a weird sort of way. Still, I wish the writers would stop trying to insert their weird crossover fanfic into canon...

yes becuase JRR Tolkein was the man who invented becons and they where NEVER actually used in anything else

• Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The new FE closed the door on future possibilities by either making them really chummy or killing them off, although no doubt one will be making a return at somepoint.

Writing was back to the one dimensional character background to the point where the founders didn't recognise one of their footsoldiers instead simply calling them a solid or the totally out of (racial) character chatter during the protracted wandering at the end.
  • Options
    madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    I didnt realize the names martok called out were the blue guys in discovery. How does that even work? The discovery klingons look nothing like actual klingons.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    guys lets keep things on point and related to the original topic at hand. folks are free to voice their in the positive or the negative and so on, but if this thread devolves purely into the merits of Discovery then I will lock this thread.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    > @azrael605 said:
    > @madmopar said:
    > > I didnt realize the names martok called out were the blue guys in discovery. How does that even work? The discovery klingons look nothing like actual klingons.
    >
    > What you think they look like is irrelevant, just like it was when people said exactly the same thing when TMP came out. They are Klingons, whether you like it or not.

I dont get it is there a reason they look like that? All other klingon appearances were plausible or had an explanation like the augment virus. I thought these were whatever Krall was, they look more like him than any version of klingon. If those are klingons then vulcans, romulans, bajoran, and vorta are human. They certainly look more human than the krall people look klingon.
  • Options
    a) and a warrior, from a warrior-culture that is at war, did not? Burnham is human, Vulcans are significantly stronger and more durable. (this is why you don't train a ninety pound weakling to punch like mike tyson without bulking him up significantly-moves built for a Vulcan would either be ineffective, or damaging, when carried out by a human.)
    actually burntham has demonstrated an ability to challenge sarek in hand to hand combat a couple times

• Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Guys, we are kinda of diverging of course here. Just leave discovery out of it.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    lagomorphic#0794 lagomorphic Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    The Foundry is no alternative to official content, it is a means for fans to tell their own story.

It's a supplement. The Foundry is offering volumes of playable content to fill whatever objective gameplay gap there is...

Nope, it's not. You see, the console version of this game has no foundry at all. That means everything you wrote is completely irrelevant to 2/3(Xbox and PS4) of the platforms this game is on.
  • Options
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @madmopar said:
    > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > >
    >
    > Dude the "augment virus" was poorly shoehorned into the story more than 20 years after TMP first added ridges to Klingons, and after TNG, DS9, VOY, and all the rest of the films to Nemesis made no mention of an explanation, and in fact outside of Trial and Tribbilations did not even acknowledge that there was a difference between TOS Klingons and post-TMP Klingons.

Ya but at least its something. Why is there an entire race of Krall and why weren't they Krall during the Archer enterprise era?
  • Options
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @madmopar said:
    > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > > @madmopar said:
    > > > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > > >
    > > >
    > > > Dude the "augment virus" was poorly shoehorned into the story more than 20 years after TMP first added ridges to Klingons, and after TNG, DS9, VOY, and all the rest of the films to Nemesis made no mention of an explanation, and in fact outside of Trial and Tribbilations did not even acknowledge that there was a difference between TOS Klingons and post-TMP Klingons.
    > >
    > > Ya but at least its something. Why is there an entire race of Krall and why weren't they Krall during the Archer enterprise era?
    >
    > First off, Krall aka Captain Balthazar Edison, has nothing whatsoever to do with this. Secondly, there were plenty of Klingons in the Enterprise era. Third, the fact that they look different to the shows audience does not mean they look different to the people in the show, because its fiction. No explaination was ever needed before, and deciding to make one was a mistake for Enterprise. The only explaination ever needed was the one we got when TMP came out which was.
    >
    > "This is how they always looked"

How doesnt Krall have anything to do with this? He looks like he is the same race as these klingons.

Honestly there is an explanation its sloppy writing. Just like the weird teleporting thing the ship does that doesnt quite fit in with the other series. Discovery is a prequel so it should have to fit in with the established universe before and after it. Otherwise things dont make sense like the race of Kralls and super saiyan ship instant transmissioning everywhere but no other ship even in the future has that tactical advantage.