test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has anyone been looking at the new Level 63 Captain Abilities?

There is almost no feedback in the Tribble forums on the Level 60-65 level extension, and particularly practically none on the new Captain abilities.

Is that because no one cares about the new levels, is everyone fine with the new captain abilities, or is everyone bored by them? Maybe now that Tribble is open for all players again, some more people will take their time to test this and have feedbakc, but so far the feedback is underwhelming.

Personally, I don't like them. They feel uninspired.
The Tactical one seems to steal Science Sensor Scan thunder and just adds even more DPS to the class that everyone already says is the safest choice in the long run because DPS rules, the Engineering one boosts something that the Engineer simply needs no help anymore, and the Science one just feels a mix of bizarre and lame.

The Tactical skill basically just reeinfroces the idea to just take Tactical as your career, the Engineering and Science one provide no real reasons to play either, they don't seem fun or really relevant.

In my opinion, it would be better if Tactical got some kind of defensive or maneuvering related ability to round up the class without reeinforcing its strengths even further, Engineering could probably use something offense-oriented and Science maybe could probably also use some control or offense oriented ability.
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Comments

• Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Tactical gets another damage increase because of course they needed that. Science gets a random debuff that lasts for all of 5 seconds. Engineering gets a power drain ability for some reason, even though Engies never have that trouble to begin with.

Ultimately pretty bad abilities across the board (Tactical one isn't 'bad' but it's ANOTHER damage increase, so it stands for bad things.)
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    If tacs got an interesting ability they'd probably not use it, safer to go for a more mindless pewpew option and try to draw people back to the game with yet more power creep. (tempted to say pointless creep but don't know if gear will actually require going above 12 for anything outside elite queues)
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Feedback about the science and engineering powers given on Reddit, has fallen on deaf ears at Cryptic. I just assume Cryptic only wants people to make Tactical captains, like they always have..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Like them, don't like them, makes no difference. At most they may adjust some numbers a bit based on feedback.

Tribble is an advertisement.
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I love seeing how fast I can blow things up so I'm excited for the extra power creep. This season is gonna be a game changer in creating never before seen levels of power creep. Victory is Life but Glory is Eternal!!!
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Feedback about the science and engineering powers given on Reddit, has fallen on deaf ears at Cryptic. I just assume Cryptic only wants people to make Tactical captains, like they always have..

After all isn't this "Tact online". There is no Science nor Engineer love in STO. They just want us to pew pew pew and dont think but just get the "I win" button.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The official feedback thread is here, by the way: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1239522/official-feedback-thread-for-increasing-the-level-cap-to-65#latest

If we have any feedback, we should probably make sure it lands there, too. I have no idea what is still possible to be changed about it, maybe just stats, but maybe they are still willing to work on the concepts. The removal of Subnucleonic Beam in the big skill revamp was also something that was averted via feedback, so don't give up just because you think nothing will come of it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Tactical captain ability is good.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Advertisement? That was what 'Beyond the Nexus' was for. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Tactical captain ability is good.

So the rest are not?
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Tactical gets another damage increase because of course they needed that. Science gets a random debuff that lasts for all of 5 seconds. Engineering gets a power drain ability for some reason, even though Engies never have that trouble to begin with.

Ultimately pretty bad abilities across the board (Tactical one isn't 'bad' but it's ANOTHER damage increase, so it stands for bad things.)

Engineers get a power drain? I don't do drains and already unbuffed my engineer is running 125/80/79/80 roughly. Not that more power isn't a bad thing but I really don't see how that is going to be useful to me.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'Scotty, can you give me less power!!!' ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    ltminns wrote: »
    'Scotty, can you give me less power!!!' ;)

"Jesus Christ Scotty! This isn't a Kelvin ship! Turn the power down a little to the lights!"

Also extra tac buff ability? I just counted 13 buttons I hit before I do an alpha strike on something. One more isn't going to hurt I guess for my Romulan and her scimi.

APA + APB3 + BFW3 + KLW2 + TS2 + EPW1 + DEM1 + IF2 + FOMM3 + TF3 + CAM + DPR + AES + FWA + (New ability in expansion)

Ok I'm rea..... awe damn he left oh well.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    There is almost no feedback in the Tribble forums on the Level 60-65 level extension, and particularly practically none on the new Captain abilities.

Is that because no one cares about the new levels, is everyone fine with the new captain abilities, or is everyone bored by them? Maybe now that Tribble is open for all players again, some more people will take their time to test this and have feedbakc, but so far the feedback is underwhelming.

It's probably because it's more "tac or GTFO," and it's basically pointless to even bother with saying how annoying that is for the 654th time.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2018

The Tactical one seems to steal Science Sensor Scan thunder and just adds even more DPS to the class that everyone already says is the safest choice in the long run because DPS rules, the Engineering one boosts something that the Engineer simply needs no help anymore, and the Science one just feels a mix of bizarre and lame.

The Tactical skill basically just reeinfroces the idea to just take Tactical as your career, the Engineering and Science one provide no real reasons to play either, they don't seem fun or really relevant.

In my opinion, it would be better if Tactical got some kind of defensive or maneuvering related ability to round up the class without reeinforcing its strengths even further, Engineering could probably use something offense-oriented and Science maybe could probably also use some control or offense oriented ability.

They explained that clearly originally when the level increase was announced...

They said no new Captain abilities would be given as Captain's previously began a tran·si·tion from Captain abilities into more Specialized Focus. That started at level 53 but right up to 60 both could be earned.

Now the focus is provided by Command, Intelligence, Miracle Worker, Pilot, Temporal or the secondary specializations such as Commando, Constable & Strategist a Captain can earn. I should also note the FOCUS is likely also on trying to obtain the best trait's based on your build &/or joining a fleet so you can even unlock at least 4 additional ones by helping grow your fleet.

Although we will see an increase to Mk XV weapons & gear, and finally obtain the first full Faction Tier 5 ship, that includes a free upgrade to T5U. Many are just grateful they stuck with Tier VI (6) Ships, although we'll likely still see several that offer unique or specialized abilities or mechanics in addition to several ships to expand available options over time for Cardassian or Gem Hedar for the Dominion Faction.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    strathkin wrote: »

They explained that clearly originally when the lev
    What did they explain? I am not sure what you're trying to say here?

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Well, at least the DPS league will be happy.

Why do you think so?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I agree with the fact that some offensive abilities could help engineers alot. Tac could use something making it more adaptive, not more firepower focused and sci could use a mix of offensive and cooldown reduction buff.

Engineers and Science are great classes to play.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    They all can be great classes to play. :)
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Well, at least the DPS league will be happy.

Why do you think so?
    Probably because it will increase damage. And isn't that what DPS focused teams want?

Playing ISA in a “DPS focused team” is like setting up a trampoline in the basement and seeing who of your team comes out of it with the least bit of headache.

Think the DPS league has been criticizing power creep ever since DR if not long before that. I don’t know anybody asking for more here especially in light of lack of content where it could be put to good use. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Have there been any new developments on the new captain abilities on Tribble?

There still hasn't been much feedback, as far as I can tell, either. I guess we'll be stuck with them.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    There still hasn't been much feedback, as far as I can tell, either.

Yeah, that happens. Take it as either the issue not mattering much in the grand scheme of things (despite being a wasted opportunity) or something that people don't know enough about.

Link again for peeps:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1239522/official-feedback-thread-for-increasing-the-level-cap-to-65
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

There still hasn't been much feedback, as far as I can tell, either. I guess we'll be stuck with them.

Absolutely no point in giving feedback if at this point we all know Cryptic isn't going to care anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Absolutely no point in giving feedback if at this point we all know Cryptic isn't going to care anyway.

We actually know they do care about feedback, though. There was a lot of feedback given in the last big skill tree revamp, for example, and a lot of changes were made in response to it. @borticuscryptic engaged a lot in the discussions and listend carefully. He didn't neccessarily integrate everything, and not *every* feedback resulted in a change, but there was a lot of feedback he listened to. If we hadn't given feedback, or he hadn't listened, Subnucleonic Beam would be gone by now, for example...

But feedback not given can be neither considered or dismissed. It's simply not there.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

We actually know they do care about feedback, though. There was a lot of feedback given in the last big skill tree revamp, for example, and a lot of changes were made in response to it. @borticuscryptic engaged a lot in the discussions and listend carefully. He didn't neccessarily integrate everything, and not *every* feedback resulted in a change, but there was a lot of feedback he listened to. If we hadn't given feedback, or he hadn't listened, Subnucleonic Beam would be gone by now, for example...

But feedback not given can be neither considered or dismissed. It's simply not there.

If that's the way you remember it - awesome. I, however, personally remember minimal changes, some of them pretty useless, and lots of really solid advice going to waste. Same thing with pretty much anything else, I myself and people far more knowledgeable than me have witnessed so much of our feedback fall on totally deaf ears, up to the point that we can't just be bothered to care anymore.

And about Subnuc, I don't think the game has more than ~100 players that actually, properly use it. Most of the people were upset just because... I don't even know why, and we lost a potentially very valuable sci power. Yes, I personally like Subnuc and it's situational usefulness, but honestly, I don't know how well the alternative would've actually turned out - maybe I would've enjoyed it far more. I didn't have too much time to play around with it myself, but from actual, reputable sources (not clueless forumites who need 5 minutes to destroy a borg sphere) I heard it had lots of potential. But whatever, this thing is far in the past now and as I said, I enjoy having the capability to Subnuc.
  • Options

If that's the way you remember it - awesome. I, however, personally remember minimal changes, some of them pretty useless, and lots of really solid advice going to waste. Same thing with pretty much anything else, I myself and people far more knowledgeable than me have witnessed so much of our feedback fall on totally deaf ears, up to the point that we can't just be bothered to care anymore.

And about Subnuc, I don't think the game has more than ~100 players that actually, properly use it. Most of the people were upset just because... I don't even know why, and we lost a potentially very valuable sci power. Yes, I personally like Subnuc and it's situational usefulness, but honestly, I don't know how well the alternative would've actually turned out - maybe I would've enjoyed it far more. I didn't have too much time to play around with it myself, but from actual, reputable sources (not clueless forumites who need 5 minutes to destroy a borg sphere) I heard it had lots of potential. But whatever, this thing is far in the past now and as I said, I enjoy having the capability to Subnuc.

It is all water under the bridge by now, but I think the important thing is that significant feedback was given and had a very strong effect - they had a new ability ready and working but decided based on feedback to abandon it in favor of buffing the original one. We'll never know if it was the best possible option, but it was something that people felt strongly about and convinced Cryptic to act.

I guess that's the problem also with the new abilities. No one feels strongly about them. They are just another clickable in an ever-expanding list of clickables, they are pretty boring and no one really needs them, but hey, if they insist of handing them out, whatever. No one is going to get weaker for having it, no one is losing anything. They might still suck and imbalance the classes further, but all that is still mostly speculative, the actual fallout will take time to manifest.
  • Options
    Well, FWIW, new sci ability looks awesome, eng one disappointing and tac one is... well, they are going to love it.
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    The problem here is that they aren't looking for feedback for these powers, lest they would have a news page announcement or a tribble feedback thread, but they didn't.

The three powers are awful in their own special ways. Science one is weak, has a short range, and an even shorter duration. The Engineering one is incredibly pointless, Engi's and cruisers already have a billion power buffs, and this is not going to help anyone ever. The power is pointless and weak beyond salvation.

Then there's the Tactical power. As we all know, the one thing Tactical characters needed was a way to deal EVEN MORE DAMAGE. It's incredible how they can simultaneously rip off a power from another class, yet also make that the one power that might have a noticable effect. Except it won't, because another 25 damage resistance is going to take your kill from 5 seconds to 4 seconds. That was completely, definitely, totally necessary.

In any case, I just don't like how the devs seem to not put any attention into more than one thing at a time. I understand wanting to focus on the next big expansion, but how could there possibly be no time at all to just edit the Phoenix store or go back to fix the Dyson Battlezone? They can't even focus on everything they haven't even added to the game yet! Despite the universal disapproval they haven't done anything to rebalance or change these powers altogether, despite the fact that THEY'RE STILL BEING DEVELOPED. I appreciate the hard work that's going into ViL, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but it's still upsetting that they can't be bothered to do anything about this.
  • Options
    Oh, here's a bit of feedback from CrypticSpartan:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/8o1avm/no_changes_to_level_63_capt_powers_since_eng/e00u07k/
    We have been reading the continued feedback on these abilities, and will likely be making further changes to them. However, due to time constraints, no changes will be able to make it out with Victory is Life.

Thank you for your continued feedback, and we all hope you enjoy the expansion!

So it seems the critique hasn't gone unnoticed, but any changes won't happen for the launch of ViL anymore.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    This convo should be added to the tribble discussion where devs will be more likely to see it.