test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I know it can be frustrating, but please consider

lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
We have all experienced the frustration of having an AFK (away from keyboard) player in our matches. But please consider for a moment before spamming hate comments into chat, or sending vulgar personal messages to that player that there might be a reason they are AFK. For example, the batteries for their wireless mouse or keyboard died and they are ferociously changing batteries while the rest of the team is in a battle for survival.

Or an important call has just come in that they must take. Ya know, the kind of call no one wants to get at 2 pm on a lazy Sunday afternoon giving them bad news.

Or perhaps that galaxy gasser burrito surprise from the Feel The Force Taco Shack (on wheels) at the corner parking lot, has decided to make an untimely exit right in the middle of a battle to defend the Romulan star base from the vile mirror universe Dreadnought.

What I am saying is just consider that they might have a reason for being AFK for a period of time. Some players often get that dreaded "waiting on server" disconnect and can't do much of anything until that clears. It has happened to us all at one point or another and it sucks, but it is part of playing the game so please don't just assume the worst.

After all, it's just a game, not real life. And threatening someone because you don't think they are doing their part isn't what chat is for.

So please, just focus on playing your game and don't worry about what the other guy is doing. A PUG, after all, is a PUG. You never know what you'll get.

*BTW* - I highly recommend that Taco Shack.... when it's in your neighborhood, you should check it out.

(Edited title to be more specific. - BMR)

(Flaming/trolling comments towards moderator removed. - BMR)
What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    *BTW* - I highly recommend that Taco Shack.... when it's in your neighborhood, you should check it out.

I kinda miss Taco Del Mar. But finding one is freakin' hard now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I kinda miss Taco Del Mar. But finding one is freakin' hard now.

We had one up near where I lived. Loved those Bean Burrito's they had. Bought out by Taco Bell.. far less tasty IMHO. :disappointed:
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    If somebody complains about AFK players it's not the AFK's fault. It's just a game, if you feel the need to even formulate a curse directed at anyone you are in way too deep.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Don't tell me, let me guess: you AFK'd and got flamed extra crispy.

If you have an important call come up, LEAVE THE INSTANCE. Don't insult the other players by forcing them to do your part of the STF AND theirs.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    It is a repetitive and boring event, want to get rid of the AFK flood - Make it so that the rewards are acquired early on, let us say after 3 or 5 runs. Frankly 14days is painful, since the event does not change things up, also the reward is hardly worth a 14day run, 50K -ish dilithium, blah. You can get more than that in half the time or less.

Anyone who belittle an AFKer during these 14 days events, just takes themselves waaaaay to seriously, go play with fleet mates via a private queue, then you'll have no afk issues. PUG'ville - you don't know what you gonna get, it's like a box of chocolate.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    I don't think it's nice to simply go AFK. Because there's a lot of people who farm certain things and goes AFK, for example Red Alert's.. You can just go AFK, and other players do all the work. You still get marks. This also happens on First Contact Day, but there the other players do not work for you.. lol.

I've also seen this happen on Area of Sompek and the Kobayashi Maru after a while... And that's just... Yeah, that's annoying.

I had to go AFK one time during the Area of Sompek and I didn't want to leave. Because I knew I could be back very quick, so I wrote to the team.. Sorry guys, I gotta AFK really quick.

Then I came back like 2 minutes later and everyone was still alive so I just got a "Welcome back".

I remember one player even thanked me for telling them I went AFK, it's common courtesy really..
    edited May 2018
    > @ruinthefun said:
    > Leaving the instance does nothing but...give you an AFK penalty. It will not conjure a replacement unless you leave like 30 seconds into the start and serves no useful purpose, so they're still stuck either way. Additionally, Mirror Hell has a general lack of any part to do for...anyone, really. This advice is terrible and will simply cause additional harm.

I respectfully disagree. Leaving the instance if you become unable to participate demonstrates respect for the other players. It shows them that you do not expect to reap the benefits of effort you did not put in. Besides, if what came up IRL is more important than participating in the STF, then it's more important than a 1 hour time-out for leaving early.

> @ruinthefun wrote:
    > Also worth noting is that hurling verbal abuse at other players is considered an offense, regardless of what the players did (or, in this case, didn't, do), whereas not doing anything at all is not against any rule. Besides, it doesn't serve any useful purpose. People who are actually AFK cannot hear you. People who aren't actually AFK, well, libelling them isn't putting you in any better position.

Sure, flaming doesn't help, and it's against ToS. But kiting a few battleships onto them and watching them die repeatedly is funny to watch. >:)

> @snowwolf#0563 said:
    > I don't think it's nice to simply go AFK. Because there's a lot of people who farm certain things and goes AFK, for example Red Alert's.. You can just go AFK, and other players do all the work. You still get marks. This also happens on First Contact Day, but there the other players do not work for you.. lol.
    >
    > I've also seen this happen on Area of Sompek and the Kobayashi Maru after a while... And that's just... Yeah, that's annoying.
    >
    > I had to go AFK one time during the Area of Sompek and I didn't want to leave. Because I knew I could be back very quick, so I wrote to the team.. Sorry guys, I gotta AFK really quick.
    >
    > Then I came back like 2 minutes later and everyone was still alive so I just got a "Welcome back".
    >
    > I remember one player even thanked me for telling them I went AFK, it's common courtesy really..

See that? Respect for the other players. I've had my laptop mouse die at least once in the middle of a raid and had to go hunting for a battery, too. Know what I did? Well, my keyboard still worked, so I typed into chat that I had to grab a fresh double-A off my dresser and would be back in a minute. No problems. (And I use a wired mouse and keyboard now, so that's not an issue anymore.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    While I won't opt to verbally abuse an AFK player I don't see why they shouldn't take a certain amount of flak since they are lessening the gameplay experience for 4 other people.

Not wanting to get an afk penalty by leaving is selfish especially if you don't warn others with a simple message.

It kind of surprises me how many folk sit at a PC and opt for wireless control methods don't think it's worthwhile having even a pretty basic wired mouse they can use in a pinch. Or have spare batteries somewhere on the desk within reach rather than in the kitchen drawer on the other side of a mansion that takes 15minutes to traverse.

1st contact day is something I'd say is fair game as you're not part of a team in that and also nothing you do during the builder phase really relates to the launching results.
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    Don't tell me, let me guess: you AFK'd and got flamed extra crispy.

If you have an important call come up, LEAVE THE INSTANCE. Don't insult the other players by forcing them to do your part of the STF AND theirs.

face palm. I afked, but was not flamed. While my DPS parse showed I had the highest dps in the match, I was forced off line for a short bit to replace batteries. I have noticed a lot of folks as of late losing their collective cool over AFK players. Most, if you just ask, have perfectly lagit reasons for stepping afk for a minute in a 15 to 20 minutes match. Life happens to us while we are busy living.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Maybe clear a few coffee mugs off the desk and make room for it alongside.

A hardback book beside you on the sofa also works well for most mice these days.
    > @azrael605 said:
    > Know whats worse than being AFK due to dead mouse batteries? Trying to finish the mission with the mouse pad on the laptop.

Done that, too. It's not easy but it can be done, though it helps that I use a macro for most of my attack cycle powers. I also know a guy who has played on a tablet.

But yeah. I can understand using a wireless mouse and keyboard if you play on a laptop and move around a lot. I use a tower and a wired mouse and keyboard just plain works better. No need to worry about batteries, just wearing out your mouse buttons and/or hand.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Thread closed for vague thread title in violation of FCT, flaming a moderator, and interfering with a moderator's duties. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.