What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"qa'wI' 'oy'Hey"

Comments

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Humans are also smart enough to know when to adapt their culture, adaptability creates stronger cultures and progression in fields of science and technology. Progression improves a culture (Example being the Age of Enlightenment and the abolition of slavery by the British in 1833) where as the Klingons still practice slavery, a practice humanity stopped.

Humans on the galactic stage have been called on as neutral mediators (See Archer getting Vulcan and Andoria to sign a treaty in 2152). Klingons, not so much. They say that honor comes in victory but where's the honor in killing civilians and the use the of POWs as slave labor?
    Come to think of it, what ever happened to Federation POWs captured by the Klingons and did the Klingons sign any agreements on the fair treatment of POWs?
    Humans are also smart enough to know when to adapt their culture, adaptability creates stronger cultures and progression in fields of science and technology. Progression improves a culture (Example being the Age of Enlightenment and the abolition of slavery by the British in 1833) where as the Klingons still practice slavery, a practice humanity stopped.

Humans on the galactic stage have been called on as neutral mediators (See Archer getting Vulcan and Andoria to sign a treaty in 2152). Klingons, not so much. They say that honor comes in victory but where's the honor in killing civilians and the use the of POWs as slave labor?
    Come to think of it, what ever happened to Federation POWs captured by the Klingons and did the Klingons sign any agreements on the fair treatment of POWs?

That is a very good question.....one I have little doubt Starfleet and the Federation Council goes to great lengths to avoid answering, lest it cause public unrest. Between "The Final Reflection" (the Ur-document for the modern portrayal of Klingons), STO DOFF missions for the KDF, and the occasional movie and ST episodes.....I would say that fate was rather grim, and would violate Forum TOS to discuss in any detail. I wonder if there will be a "Truth and Reconciliation" committee set up when the Klingons join the Federation, where they have to account for each of the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Federation citizens that fell into their hands over the centuries and were never heard from again.

I'm guessing.....not. It would make them look bad to have to admit just how many of their own people they had callously abandoned to a cruel fate, and worse, it would interfere with their current diplomacy and worse than that....their political career. The needs of the Few outweigh those of the Many, or the One.

What? Is there really that large a segment of the fanbase that actually believes that the Federation is so evil and apathetic that they just abandon their POWs?

Heck they figured out how to spring people from Rura Penthe in Archer's time. Kirk and crew didn't have to make an exertion beyond speaking Klingon to get Kirk and McCoy.

It's like you think that the Federation and Starfleet don't run sting operations or attack Klingon prisons to recover prisoners. It's the Klingons who think anyone who got captured is garbage that you leave in the trash as they have no honor if they can't escape themselves.

As for a Truth and Reconciliation committee, I would imagine that would have to be completed before they even submit their application.
    captaind3 wrote: »
    The truth is, the Klingon Empire is their own worst enemy, and always have been. Except maybe in that timeline where they're an agrarian society known for their epic poetry.
    wow. you're REALLY hitting the wayback machine with THAT reference. i've read that book.

You know what reminded me? They referenced it in game. It was in the Butterfly episodes.
    starswordc wrote: »
    One thing I do wonder (tangentially related) is what happened with the HOUSE of Martok. Drex is still alive (unfortunately his son M'Ven, Martok's grandson, dies in the Torg arc), but did Dad take back his position as joH ("lord") when he came back from the dead? And what does Lady Sirella, the only thing Martok fears, think of all this?

Well Sirella came to pick him up when we sprung him, so I think she's cool with it. Especially with all the sexism in Klingon politics in the last century I'm sure she's pleased to have her husband back, especially with all of his clou
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I don't think the Empire uses POWs as bargaining chips, based in part on an exchange in TWoK, at the end of the Kobayashi Maru:

SAAVIK: Recommendations, Admiral?
    KIRK: Prayer, Mr. Saavik. The Klingons don't take prisoners.

Now, we know this isn't entirely accurate - but Kirk seemed to honestly believe this. This would tend to indicate that prisoners taken during that era would have been properly interrogated, then either been useless or been offered the choice of languishing in prison or serving the Empire, with repatriation not being one of the options.
    TOS movie era? Out-of-universe, it was meant as a way to make things dramatic by saying that the enemies have no interest in leaving you alive. In-universe it makes more sense as Kirk reminding the crew that the Klingons have no qualms against killing their enemies. It's not that he's expecting his crew to get exterminated if they lose, but that most of them would get killed before the Klingons even thought about prisoners.
    Klingons have a tendency to go battle-happy and slaughter their enemies instead of capturing them, but even when they do take prisoners they don't treat them well. Rura Penthe is basically a Soviet-style gulag and prisoners of war and political prisoners seem to get mixed into gen pop.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    I don't think the Empire uses POWs as bargaining chips, based in part on an exchange in TWoK, at the end of the Kobayashi Maru:

Now, we know this isn't entirely accurate - but Kirk seemed to honestly believe this. This would tend to indicate that prisoners taken during that era would have been properly interrogated, then either been useless or been offered the choice of languishing in prison or serving the Empire, with repatriation not being one of the options.
    TOS movie era? Out-of-universe, it was meant as a way to make things dramatic by saying that the enemies have no interest in leaving you alive. In-universe it makes more sense as Kirk reminding the crew that the Klingons have no qualms against killing their enemies. It's not that he's expecting his crew to get exterminated if they lose, but that most of them would get killed before the Klingons even thought about prisoners.
    Klingons have a tendency to go battle-happy and slaughter their enemies instead of capturing them, but even when they do take prisoners they don't treat them well. Rura Penthe is basically a Soviet-style gulag and prisoners of war and political prisoners seem to get mixed into gen pop.

I'm surprised the Federation have not brought this up, first thing they should have stipulated was that all Federation POWs taken during the war are to be immediately repatriated alive and those who died in captivity so they can reunited with their loved ones.

Furthermore, that the Klingon Empire signs the Seldonis IV Convention on the treatment of Prisoners of War
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      It's like you think that the Federation and Starfleet don't run sting operations or attack Klingon prisons to recover prisoners. It's the Klingons who think anyone who got captured is garbage that you leave in the trash as they have no honor if they can't escape themselves.

As for a Truth and Reconciliation committee, I would imagine that would have to be completed before they even submit their application.
      Now that you mention this, I wonder if certain parts of the Orion Syndicate don't make an effort to acquire Fed prisoners just so they can sell them back to Starfleet. I mean the way the Klingons treat a lot of them they have minimal security, so they might be able to just buy them...
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      t.

I'm surprised the Federation have not brought this up, first thing they should have stipulated was that all Federation POWs taken during the war are to be immediately repatriated alive and those who died in captivity so they can reunited with their loved ones.

Furthermore, that the Klingon Empire signs the Seldonis IV Convention on the treatment of Prisoners of War

Wouldn't signing the Seldonis IV Convention have been part of the Khitomer Accords?

Now that you mention this, I wonder if certain parts of the Orion Syndicate don't make an effort to acquire Fed prisoners just so they can sell them back to Starfleet. I mean the way the Klingons treat a lot of them they have minimal security, so they might be able to just buy them...

Now you see that would make Orions the smartest players in the game. Make a side deal with the Federation under the radar to acquire any POWs and return them to the Federation for a moderate fee. The Federation ensures that any prisoners the Orions would send into the aether instead come home while they can get the rest back through traditional end of war repatriation from the Klingons, while the Orions make a tidy profit.
      "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    • Options
      t.

Wouldn't signing the Seldonis IV Convention have been part of the Khitomer Accords?

Now you see that would make Orions the smartest players in the game. Make a side deal with the Federation under the radar to acquire any POWs and return them to the Federation for a moderate fee. The Federation ensures that any prisoners the Orions would send into the aether instead come home while they can get the rest back through traditional end of war repatriation from the Klingons, while the Orions make a tidy profit.

Seldonis IV was signed during the Cardassian War between the Federation and Cardassia
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        t.

Seldonis IV was signed during the Cardassian War between the Federation and Cardassia

Right, but that doesn't say it was just between them. It likely would've involved all major powers of the region with an interest, except the Romulans of course.
      • Options

Of course since this is motivated by profit the Orions doing this are probably only going to do it with people that didn't have a high value as slaves. That or the Feds would have to pay more for them.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
      • Options
        t.

Right, but that doesn't say it was just between them. It likely would've involved all major powers of the region with an interest, except the Romulans of course.

What needs to be created is a galactic Geneva Convention where all POWs are to be well cared for.
        NMXb2ph.png
        • Options
          Of course since this is motivated by profit the Orions doing this are probably only going to do it with people that didn't have a high value as slaves. That or the Feds would have to pay more for them.

Of course, and the Federation which has vast resources and doesn't really value money for money's sake would pay it.
          What needs to be created is a galactic Geneva Convention where all POWs are to be well cared for.

I thought that's what the Seldonis IV Convention was.
          patrickngo wrote: »
          t.

the problem being, the Federation has a habit of breaking their treaties with the Klingons, then acting the part of the wounded when the Klingons turn on them for breaking their word.

Had the Federation upheld their treaty obligations in the first place, J'mpok would not have had casus belli to evict them from the Hromi cluster in the first place.

under such conditions, a 'new treaty' is just worthless paper.

What? So it's the Federation's fault for not going to war with the Gorn? Did the Klingons even share the evidence of Undine infiltration? Just we're going to war, you follow now!

That's why he pulled out of the Khitomer Accords. Now it's never cut and dry. The Klingons were right, the Gorn had been infiltrated. But so had the Klingons. But in the long run, the war was playing right into enemy hands seeing as how that's what the Undine and the Iconians wanted. It would be an excusable mistake if it wasn't exactly the same play that the Founders had run on the Klingons in the Klingon-Cardassian War, that then precipitated the Second Federation-Klingon War, which preceded the Dominion War, weakening all powers. They played themselves.

And he had already pulled out of the Khitomer Accords when he decided that, "now that we're not friends anymore, we want the Hromi cluster." Which since he knew the Federation would never acquiesce to that request was simply a declaration of war.

The simple fact of the matter is, the Klingons pull out of any treaty where the other side doesn't do what they want them to.

"No longer will we die the death of a thousand cuts. Peace was the death of the Klingon Empire. Thankfully, it was a mistake that we caught in time. Conflict makes us Klingon. Combat makes us strong. I write my story with the my blade, and the ink is the blood of my enemies."

This guy doesn't care about treaties, he's just a smart enough politician to provide himself with pretext before he acts. He was more than happy to take actions he knew the Federation wouldn't back him on so he can blame them for violating agreements.
        • Options
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5jAixHhSA
          Michael Eddington has a point here
          NMXb2ph.png
          • Options
            jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
            > @theraven2378 said:
            > Michael Eddington has a point here

Ah, yes.....the Maquis. Someone got triggered by my post about how the Feds turn a blind eye to Klingon depredations against Federation shipping and border worlds.....how many Federation citizens did the bureaucrats in Paris abandon to the Cardassians?
          • Options
            > @patrickngo said:
            > jrdobbsjr#3264 wrote: »
            >
            > > @theraven2378 said:
            > > Michael Eddington has a point here
            >
            > Ah, yes.....the Maquis. Someone got triggered by my post about how the Feds turn a blind eye to Klingon depredations against Federation shipping and border worlds.....how many Federation citizens did the bureaucrats in Paris abandon to the Cardassians?
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > enough to create an insurgency that got the attention of the top levels of the Federation,and drew down the full might and wrath of the Dominion?

I expect that Starfleet and Paris were grateful to the Dominion for solving that problem for them......not that they would admit it publicly, of course.
          • Options
            The federation absolutely broke their treaty obligations, and it's not really the first time they've done that. (every time during the not-allied days Federation starships treated the Neutral, or Demilitarized, zones as a shortcut in violation of THOSE treaties counts. The violations (multiple) of the treaty of Algeron...)
            In the Path to 2409, the Federation president declared that the Treaty of Algeron was null and void due to the collapse of the Romulan government that signed it. Or did you mean before then?

J'mpok made a HUGE blunder with the Gorn situation. He asked the Federation to discard their treaty with the Gorn based on very little evidence. You talk about "honoring treaties"... Well the Fed treaty with the Gorn predates their treaty with the Empire. If not for the Fed-KDF treaty, J'mpok might have been staring at an invasion of Klingon space by Fed fleets aiming to cut-off Klingon supply lines going to their war effort with the Gorn.
            > @theraven2378 said:

Ah, yes.....the Maquis. Someone got triggered by my post about how the Feds turn a blind eye to Klingon depredations against Federation shipping and border worlds.....how many Federation citizens did the bureaucrats in Paris abandon to the Cardassians?
            0. In fact they sent the FLAGSHIP of the Federation fleet to assist with relocating some of those Federation citizens who were left homeless as part of the treaty.
            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            My character Tsin'xing
          • Options
            thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
            edited May 2018
            Its obvious the Federation was also infiltrated by the Undine or Bluejill. Influencing policy makers and maybe were involved with those denying proof of Undine hostility. I think once the mainstream federation really knew that this threat and the Klingons were right about everything after the Undine Vulcan incident. Section thirty one and others in the Federation took it seriously and the Undine infiltrators were taken out or captured. By then it was too late the war was already ongoing between the Federation and Klingons. This was all the scheme by the Iconians at the time. So It really was not federations fault or the Kingons fault because each side was played against each other like a fiddle. They even tricked the Undine influencing the events that followed with the Klingons and federation going to war. This is what the Iconians wanted. When the alliance was formed the Iconians were not happy. They go and kill most of the high council maybe to disable the Klingon empire. They took a major offensive against Kronos and New Romulus. Because the Iconians feared all the factions working together again.

Iconian war last mission spoilers below
            Maybe its because of the actions of the Sela and the Klingon that tried to save the Iconians and because the world heart being taken because of these acts and the act of Sela took. Caused the Iconians to become what they are in the future. Thus they destroy Romulus because of Selas act and send major offensive after Kdf and Romulan Republic more then they did the federation because of the events that happened in the past. The only reason all three factions are still around is because they worked together. Without that they would have all fallen to the heralds upon the Iconians return. So basically what happened to end the Iconian war was a Major Predestination Paradox. Both events had to happen in order for reality to become what it is today.

• Options
            Except the Federation had a treaty with the GORN, not the UNDINE, but their actions were to preserve the Undine infiltration of the GORN HEGEMONY, and their actions POST- gorn war underscore this. The KDF trotted out real, live, infiltrators and then executed them,
            That doesn't prove anything other than the KDF captured Undine. The bottom line is that J'mpok didn't really try to provide evidence. Just look at the "diplomatic" emissaries he sent to Vulcan. Instead of showing the fed player evidence of their claims they open fire for "insulting" them. That says a lot about how much J'mpok actually tried to convince the Feds that his word was true.
            and the Federation...retrenched in their denials in the face of that evidence, effectively siding with the people who'd subverted their GORN allies, which is why KING Slaathis sits in a non-voting but self-governing seat in the Klingon High Council instead of in an observer's seat in Paris. The KDF effectively gave the GORN people their country back-as a protectorate, but it's a hell of a lot more autonomous than it would be under Federation stewardship (*you can ask the Cardassians about that. Thirty years on and they're still under occupation.
            The Gorn aren't free. The Klingon Council tells Slathis how to rule Gornar. The Orion Syndicate has more influence in the affairs of the Empire than Slathis.
            Utopia Planitia raid demonstrates that Klingon cloaking tech is sufficient to get a strike force right into the Sol system itself, if they were the butchers Fed-Fans claim (and Discovery wold make them be) Earth would have gotten "Breen part two-this time with Cloaking and tricobalt warheads!!" instead they got a limited 'because we can' strike on ONE shipyard, done almost as an afterthought.
            How long has it been since you played that? When I did it... (several times, because it's fun) I had to hijack a Fed ship and steal it's transponder code to get to Utopia Planitia, and that precluded a full scale attack. Also the Klingon admiralty mentioned that if I didn't leave quickly after the raid was finished I'd get overwhelmed by the counter-attack. Also when it's over the admiralty estimates it'll be a matter of DAYS until the damage is fixed.
            Its obvious the Federation was also infiltrated by the Undine or Bluejill. Influencing policy makers and maybe were involved with those denying proof of Undine hostility. I think once the mainstream federation really knew that this threat and the Klingons were right about everything after the Undine Vulcan incident. Section thirty one and others in the Federation took it seriously and the Undine infiltrators were taken out or captured.
            The path to 2409 suggests that Federation intelligence already knew, and were quietly trying to find them. One of the entries talks about how a Federation ship had the crew scanned for Undine. It's just that Intelligence hadn't yet figured out what the undine were doing and seemed to be more concerned with learning the Undine's plans than removing them.
            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            My character Tsin'xing
          • Options
            Official Federation statements and Federation officials declined to believe it even when the Klingons were executing Undine infils publicly and broadcasting it. Powerful figures within the Federation Council even tried to claim the infiltrators were 'benign'-that is, they outright and officially denied the threat in the face of public evidence to the contrary, and sustained their condemnation of the Empire's actions.

That is, the Federation did not bother to investigate themselves, even against the recommendation of their own tactical experts and experts with prior contact with species 8472.

and they levied sanctions, which they did not lift, and they denied the evidence supplied was even evidence prior to, during, and after, in order to weasel out of the mutual defense treaties post Dominion War, treaties that were, in turn, the basis of Federation leases in the Hromi sector. (an area leased, per "Road to 2409" to the Federation from Klingon holdings as part of a treaty of alliance and mutual defense.)

The federation absolutely broke their treaty obligations, and it's not really the first time they've done that. (every time during the not-allied days Federation starships treated the Neutral, or Demilitarized, zones as a shortcut in violation of THOSE treaties counts. The violations (multiple) of the treaty of Algeron...)

When a Klingon calls you 'dishonorable' he generally specifically means your word's no good, that your promises are lies, and that you can't be counted on in a pinch.

all of which, the Federation demonstrated in spades in the run-up to, conduct of, and aftermath of, the Gorn war, as well as the events leading to the Klingon decision to evict Federation colonists from the Hromi sector.

The fascinating thing is that the Federation already had evidence of their own of Undine infiltrators, don't forget the USS Cochrane.

But does that make a war against the Gorn to excise their Undine infiltration lawful? Or strategically valid?

And is the Treaty of Algeron even still in effect? The Romulan Star Empire is defunct, and the Romulan Republic hasn't said anything about it, let alone inherited it the force of that treaty.

The sad thing is that the Federation has repeatedly shown that the Klingons could rely on them in a pinch. That's what actually made the alliance a real thing in the first place.

And what force does it have for the Klingoons to evict anyone from Federation territory?
            > @theraven2378 said:

No one has ever been able to explain to me why settling on the Cardassian border in war time was in any way a good idea or allowed.
            very likely. There's a dirty secret in Star Trek. "Race=Politics". It's actually highlighted by outliers like Worf, but there's a definite 'expectation' in-universe that your species will determine your allegiances-unless the alternative is the Federation, of course, in that situation your'e a 'trailblazing individual', but what the Maquis did? Oh, now, that's just plain unacceptable, they seceded from the "Human" government and pursued their own domestic and foreign policy without first kissing the ring of the Federation Council.

The entire problem with the Maquis was that what they were doing was going to trigger a second Federation-Cardassian War. Like you said. Race=Politics for a lot of species. The Cardassians were supplying their colonists with weapons and ships, there's no way they thought that the Federation wasn't doing the same for their colonists, so anything that the Maquis did was going to blow back on the Federation.
            Utopia Planitia raid demonstrates that Klingon cloaking tech is sufficient to get a strike force right into the Sol system itself, if they were the butchers Fed-Fans claim (and Discovery wold make them be) Earth would have gotten "Breen part two-this time with Cloaking and tricobalt warheads!!" instead they got a limited 'because we can' strike on ONE shipyard, done almost as an afterthought.

which kinda suggests that some in important circles in the Empire suspected the reason for the Federation's lethal vacillation was that they were infiltrated by the TRUE enemy, but only to the point of being paralyzed in a manner best cured with a hard slap to the face.

that the slap took ten years to execute? well, vulcans are stubborn...

Actually the Raid Utopia Planitia proved that they needed intel to do it even with cloaking technology, they needed to torture access codes out of a Starfleet Captain in order to breach the Gravimetric nets.

The Breen who raided San Fransisco got off their few shots and then got completely annihilated, none of them got out.

The Klingons had no such altruistic motives. J'mpok is one of those classic Klingons who simply view the Federation as their largest target for conquest, they had no expectation that the Federation would ever come around.

But like I said, the Federation already had their own evidence of Undine infiltration. The thing that's never been answered is what were they doing about it? Counterintelligence? Recon? They had an Undine infiltrator in the same prison they kept the Female Founder in. What else did they have?

• Options
            No one has ever been able to explain to me why settling on the Cardassian border in war time was in any way a good idea or allowed.
            That's a recurring thing in episodes involving minor Federation colonies. "Enterprising" colonists would build them anywhere that was (at the time) legally Federation territory, seemingly without the backing of the government. My best guess is that it's an aspect of the Federation's "free will" approach towards government.
            But like I said, the Federation already had their own evidence of Undine infiltration. The thing that's never been answered is what were they doing about it? Counterintelligence? Recon? They had an Undine infiltrator in the same prison they kept the Female Founder in. What else did they have?
            Yeah the Empire wishes they knew as much about Undine infiltration techniques as the Feds do. The only reason the Empire had ANY idea what was going on is that some of the infiltrators failed to dispose of their victims.
            Further, when your 'ally' shows you evidence of that kind of infiltration, you don't downplay the significance even after you're proven wrong.
            That's when J'mpok FAILED to do and apparently didn't really try to do. See, he never showed them proof that a war against the Gorn was justified. THAT is what the Federation refused to accept. A few recordings of an Undine? Ok you found an Undine... so? Not adequate for starting a war against their ally.
            the Federation itself[/i], an entity and organization that had centuries of experience with Klingon political psychology, what justifies which sorts of conflicts, and how conflicts are resolved with Klingons.
            The "Vulcan hello" comes to mind. Which was rather appropriately used in orbit of Vulcan when some Klingon was dumb enough to go there.
            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            My character Tsin'xing
          • Options
            mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
            The exact reasons as to why J'mpok and the Klingon Empire went to war with the Federation almost don't matter.

It was exactly what the Undine and Iconians wanted. J'mpok played into their hands by starting a pointless war that wasted thousands of lives on both sides that almost cost them everything later when the Iconians revealed their hand. What gets me is that J'mpok must have had at least SOME awareness a war is exactly what the Undine wanted. Infiltrators from the same faction found in both the Federation and the Empire? As well as some found in the trigger-event Gorn? Surely that implies the Undine are a threat to both Federation and Empire and that the logical thing to do is team up against them? Or if J'mpok is too frightened of SF Command or the Federation Council's infiltration, find aspects of the Federation willing to work with the Klingons. Individual ship Captains or Admirals who express anti-Undine sentiments. Starfleet Intelligence or Section 31. Literally anything that gives the Undine what they want.

Especially when its the exact same trick the Changelings used with the Cardassians during the Dominion War. In that instance the Klingons were wrong. Not an inspiring track-record. J'mpok could have at least shown hard proof-if he had any.
          • Options
            mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
            In custody eh?

How much access did the Federation have to visit? What did the 'perpetrator' actually say? Did it actually say anything directly to a SF Officer or did the Klingons simply make recordings? (Which can be faked.) Did the Klingons actually have an Undine in custody that outright admitted to the infiltration of the Gorn government or had otherwise been publically exposed as a Gorn government infiltrator?

In Facility 4028 Starfleet has an Undine captive. That's proof too. Starfleet actively engages against Undine several times during the early missions. It proves the Federation aren't cooperating with the Undine so why continue the war?

And I'd like to note the P'Jem mission in particular. Sure the Klingons were right about Sokketh but instead of providing proof they just got insulted about honour and tried to destroy us. Asking for proof from a Captain of Starfleet's current enemy isn't unreasonable. In fact its a lot more reasonable than s/he should have been.
          • Options
            mikoto8472 wrote: »
            The exact reasons as to why J'mpok and the Klingon Empire went to war with the Federation almost don't matter.

It was exactly what the Undine and Iconians wanted. J'mpok played into their hands by starting a pointless war that wasted thousands of lives on both sides that almost cost them everything later when the Iconians revealed their hand. What gets me is that J'mpok must have had at least SOME awareness a war is exactly what the Undine wanted. Infiltrators from the same faction found in both the Federation and the Empire? As well as some found in the trigger-event Gorn? Surely that implies the Undine are a threat to both Federation and Empire and that the logical thing to do is team up against them? Or if J'mpok is too frightened of SF Command or the Federation Council's infiltration, find aspects of the Federation willing to work with the Klingons. Individual ship Captains or Admirals who express anti-Undine sentiments. Starfleet Intelligence or Section 31. Literally anything that gives the Undine what they want.

Especially when its the exact same trick the Changelings used with the Cardassians during the Dominion War. In that instance the Klingons were wrong. Not an inspiring track-record. J'mpok could have at least shown hard proof-if he had any.
            apparently having perpetrator in custody isn't 'hard proof'.
            The part you're missing is "perpetrator of what"?

He had evidence to suspect the Undine may have been working on infiltrating the Hegemony, he did NOT have proof that a war was warranted.

But yeah this is why Romulans think Klingons are STUPID. Tricking them into fighting their allies is seemingly child's play. Heck the Changeling pretending to be Martok almost tricked Worf into assassinating Gowron. Why not kill him himself? Because if it's Worf then the Empire has a reason to fight the Federation.
            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            My character Tsin'xing
          • Options
            I wonder why B'Vat was hell-bent on sparking a eternal Fed-KDF war when he knew the Iconians were right around the corner. I doubt Krog or whoever left out that detail, given a Iconian victory meant their doom as well
          • Options
            I wonder why B'Vat was hell-bent on sparking a eternal Fed-KDF war when he knew the Iconians were right around the corner. I doubt Krog or whoever left out that detail, given a Iconian victory meant their doom as well
            It's not clear if he had some convoluted plan or if he was just insane. But past B'Vat says he thinks his future self is a madman. Was he crazy like a fox, or the regular crazy? I don't know.
            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            My character Tsin'xing